Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alfine shifter… making it better.
  • psychle
    Free Member

Anyone else become a bit jipped with the big ridiculous gear display window and the constraints it puts on your handlebar setup? Then do what I just did and take to it with a hacksaw! 😈

Lopping it off gives you a much neater little shifter that works just fine and allows you to place your brake lever wherever you want, result! 8)

that is all…

fisha
    Free Member

cant really say i've noticed it getting in the way?

packer
    Free Member

got a picture for us?

epicsteve
    Free Member

+1

Mine is on a bike with flat bars, disk brakes and a bar-bag fitted and I've had no problem with space.

psychle
    Free Member

Really? I found the big shifter window stopped me running my brakes where I like them… maybe it was just me then!?

got a picture for us?

no pictures, will take one tonight.

Hicksy
    Free Member

They do take up a fair bit of space don't they – I had to get new bars when I got mine as the bend of my old bars meant I couldn't get the shifter inboard enough.

The weird thing is I often use the indictor on the Alfine, but never on my XT's – even more so since I removed them!

Saying that, as above – let's 'ave a butchers then!

scruff
    Free Member

I run my brakes way inboard and it didnt work with the windows on, so just unscrewed the indicator window and put some tape over to stop dust getting in. Didnt get on with the reverse rise so ended up swapping it for a nexus twistshift anyway.

deertrackdoctor
    Free Member

yes i chopped it off to get the correct position !i find the shifter pants in general can we use any other shifter ? old 8 speed xt ?

BlobOnAStick

nope it's alfine trigger or gripshift or nowt.

psychle
    Free Member

Took a while, but here's a pic of my setup… need to get some tape or something to cover up the hole in the shifter, and I need a new topcap for my GD remote 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alfine shifter… making it better.’ is closed to new replies.