Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • alfine non-turn washers and chain tugs!
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

just looking at how my alfine hub will fit into my horizontal dropouts and seems that it ain’t gonna work with the sinz chain tensioners that i’ve got as the lugs on the non-turn washer aren’t long enough to go through the tensioner (and tensioner hole is round) and locate in the dropout. initial thought is that i can cut a corresponding slot in the tensioner so that the washer locates in the tensioner rather than the dropout! anyone else had this and how did you get round it. cheers.

rOcKeTdOg

11 speed stu?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

no mate, gave up waiting!

ssboggy

I run an Alfine on a Cotic Simple and don’t bother with any chain tugs at all, i just pull the wheel back and tighten the nuts on the axle, this has worked absolutely fine for nearly a year. When i take out the Alfine wheel and put the ss wheel back in i do use a chain tug on the drive side, which i find i do need to stop the wheel moving. If i where you i would just give it a go without any tugs

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

You could run it with a chain tug on the drive side and a non-turn washer on the disc side. As long as you’re not a big bloke or too strong that shouldn’t be a problem.

If you’re confident messing about with the Alfine axle spacing and have a machine shop on hand to make up custom spacers you could run the washers on the insides of the dropouts.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

D’you want to sell it 😀

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ssboggy – don’t bother with any chain tugs at all

doh, didn’t even think of that, it was always ok on our self-built trackers as kids!

while i’m asking questions, what chain should i use, is there a specific width for the standard alfine hub? hoping the reply is 1/8th as i’ve got a betd chainring lined up!

futon river crossing – D’you want to sell it

ask me in 3 weeks!!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I am in the market for a second hand Alfine……….

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

So was I but they still go for stupid money so gave up and got a brand new one for less than I’ve seem them on eBay… Sometimes people just don’t look around enough!

stooo
    Free Member

I’m running mine with no tugs on an inbred slit dropout frame. Seems fine but could be a pain to set it again in the dark and get the disc lined up etc if I have a flat and need to take the tyre out.

bruneep

I gave up on the 11speed as well and bought an 8speed off here. 11speed still on back order.

B

ssboggy

As regards the chain i run a KMC Kool Chain 1/8th on a Middleburn Uno 1/8th chainring and its absolutely fine

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘alfine non-turn washers and chain tugs!’ is closed to new replies.