Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alfine hub occasionally slips
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Does anybody else have this problem? Only happens when I’m pushing hard on the pedals, for example when I’m pulling away from traffic lights, and mostly seems to happen in gears 4 and 5, but has happened in others too. The two yellow lines are lined up, but maybe there is room for tweekness there?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Try an oil bath?

Google has the instructions, it’s dead easy though. Pull the insides out, dip it in gear oil, put back together.

Mine used to skip occasionally, doesn’t after it’s bath.

Might be a coincidence though.

nuke

Don’t assume that the Alfine is setup correctly just because the yellow dots are lined up. As seems regularly stated, skipping/slips are nearly always from cable setup. I’ve got an 8 and 11, the 11 seems more sensitive to setup.

My 11 was annoying me as it was skipping in gear 10 despite oil change, perfect alignment of yellow dots etc…with trial and error adjustment of the barrel adjuster it doesn’t skip under load now but the yellow dots do not match up exactly

Andy-R

If it’s the 8 speed then check that the yellow marks are perfectly lined up in 4th (check changes both up and down), that there’s no cable stickiness and no “ghost shifting” as you turn the bars.
    If the hub’s had a fair bit of use then it might benefit from flushing out and re-lubing, either with ATF or maybe what I use, Castol Spheerol L/EP0, which is a semi liquid grease and seems ideal for this application.

ndthornton
    Free Member

As above- ignore dots, tweek with barrel adjuster as you would with a rear mech

Don’t see how oil bath would help?

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers, will commence a tweeking regime to see if that makes it better. The idea of the oil bath does scare me tbh, but if people say it’s easy then I’ll give it a go…

shermer75
    Free Member

PS it’s an 8, not an 11…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alfine hub occasionally slips’ is closed to new replies.