• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jes.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Alfine hub
  • alexdudley
    Free Member

Hi, anyone have any experience with alfine hubs, are they up to serious mountain biking?

Mackem

I used one for 2 and bit years, no bother at all. (an 8 speed one).

Bregante

My 8 speed has performed admirably all winter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Daffy

My 11 has been less reliable than my 8.

letmetalktomark

8 speed here.

It gets no love.

Works well.

I would have another.

walleater

8 speed good / 11 speed bad.

scotroutes

My 11 has been fine. I’m currently running it well outside Shimanos recommended gearing range in a 2×11 configuration. Rear mech icing problems are a thing of the past 🙂

Untitled by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

grtdkad

2×11 Alfine is interesting. What’s the overall set-up then?

sambuka
    Free Member

I’ve been running an 11 on a charge duster for 18 months, love it! So quiet. Occasional clicks but otherwise fine so far : )

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If I could get a refund on my 11 speed I would and I’d go 1 x 10.

It’s been back once and it’s still not perfect and out of warranty. The occasional gear slippage/nut’s/stem interface stops the bike coming out as much as it should.

Go 1 x 10, 8 speed Alfine or invest in Rohloff but avoid 11 speed get’s my vote

scotroutes

Cranks are Raceface – 22T and 32T. Rear sprocket is 18T. I have a Alfine chain tensioner to take up the slack. On a standard 26″ wheel that would give me a range of 16.7 to 99.5 Gear Inches. With the added diameter of the fat tyres, both of these figures are be a bit higher but I’ve never worked it out.

scotroutes

Oh – clean cables with good routing are a must.

Phil_H

My 11 speed developed an oil leak. Repaired under warranty. Yet to put it back on the inbred as I’m managing as a single speed.
    It was good in the mud at sits though 😀

monkeyboyjc

my 8 was faultless, didnt have any issue with the 11 either.

paul4stones

8 speed worked well for me. Proper mtb, several immersions on the Kielder 100, was faultless. BUT when it failed it was catastrophic at the start of a family holiday. A ‘normal’ derallieur system could have been fixed or bodged but with the Alfine nothing could be done apart from a new hub/wheel which wasn’t available. No system will never fail but some are more easily fixed when they do.

grtdkad

Thanks Scotroutes, very impressive.

jes
    Free Member

I have a second hand Alfine 8 which has been very robust.
    And a from new Alfine 11 which has been ok but feels slightly less robust, with not so precise gear engagement.
    Also run Rohloffs, one coming up to 10 years old bombproof but at a cost.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I run an 8 speed on my winter bike, runs very well very little maintainance. Run an 18 x 44 set up ant it’s just about ok. If riding in a group can run out of revs at the top end when the pace increases.

alexdudley
    Free Member

8 speed it is then, always fancied a rohloff but could never justify the cost, good to hear they are reliable, planning on building a fat belt drive.

TiRed

Awaiting a Genesis io id 8 speed. I’m sure it will be as reliable as my previous Alfine 8 speed Airnimal Rhino. Never had an issue off road.

alexdudley
    Free Member

Cheers scotroutes, i remember the nuvinci hub from a couple of years back and liked the look of it then, but new and untested for mountain bikes. I used to have a Daf 44 that my grandad gave me, it had variable transmission too. Cut the top off it and welded up the doors for summer vehicle!

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

You guys with the Alfine-8’s, do you have any delay/trouble when changing down? Mine always seems to have a delay, you have to ease off, and often you also get a clicking noise. Is this normal?

epicyclo

UrbanHiker – Member
    You guys with the Alfine-8’s, do you have any delay/trouble when changing down? Mine always seems to have a delay, you have to ease off, and often you also get a clicking noise. Is this normal?

Sounds like sticky cables or cable in too tight a curve and check that your adjustment is correct to the mark (don’t tweak it by ear).

You should always ease off slightly to change gear with a hubgear.

jes
    Free Member

epicycle +1, a small downside of the Alfine is indexing at the shifter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Alfine hub’ is closed to new replies.