Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alfine help
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone had this before , before i go investigating

Basically gf commuting day one versa came home today complaining of noisy gears

Its not been adjusted by her since i set it up

However it seems like the cable inner has got shorter ….. With shifter set with all cable released the shift arm at the hub is in gear number 2 no amount of adjusting the barrel adjusters gets it close

Obvious solution is to adjust the cable to suit but i know it hasnt been adjusted at all ( not even a puncture )so cant work out why its all to pot.

Anyone any ideas ?

Tiboy

couple of things to check, are the cable ferrules correctly seated in the shifter? and is the cable correctly routed at the hub end? it can get a bit mis-aligned and make a hash of shifting!

Might have been caused by someone messing with your bike whilst you were at work, had this once and found my front QR was undone!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

She keeps it in a locked cupboard so im not concerned about that , its all bolt up anyway

Had a quick look and all seems in order except that the. Yellow lines will never line up 🙁

singlespeedstu

You sure you’ve not been “sleep tinkering”

Set up a video camera and see if you can catch yourself on film.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice try stu but ive been working in houston for the last fortnight !

Martin.B
    Free Member

Has the cable frayed and got caught on the outer stopping it returning to normal position. Just a thought

trail_rat
    Free Member

Il investigate tomorrow night she has to drive tomorrow anyway haha

Im buggered , spent all day trying tO resume order in the garden after 2 weeks workin away !

singlespeedstu

Mrs trail rat must have been “sleep tinkering” then. 😆

I’ve had outer cables that have had a few strands that stick out above the rest at the ends even though they were cut straight when fitted.
    Take the end caps off and check that .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stu can be the only explaination hub works as expected , shifter works

So either inner got shorter or outer got longer . Gah – i have no inners to hand 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

cut the outer down a half inch , refitted original cable – all works well …..

how odd !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alfine help’ is closed to new replies.