Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alfine advice required
  • flange
    Free Member

Hi all

I need a new wheel for the back of my morning glory (I have a hope XC on a 729 at the moment and its a bit heavy!) and am considering an Alfine rear hub set up. just have a few questions if anyone can help – I’ve used the search function but it doesn’t appear to have the answers I need.

Firstly – cost. Obviously not including the rim and build labour, how much am I looking at for the shifter and hub and any other stuff I might need? Its all X9 back there at the moment but to be honest it could all do with replacing so I’m not too bothered about replacing the lot.

Weight – is there a noticeable difference between a conventional setup and an Alfine one? I don’t mind the weight being at the back as I like wheelies anyway, I just don’t want a massive increase over what I already have

Spacing – Will I have to do anything fancy with the spacing and I’m assuming I’d have to run a singulator or something similar?

Durability – is the Alfine up to much and sh1t being thrown at it bearing in mind its intended application?

Cheers for any help

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

perhaps the ultimate Flanual bike?

flange
    Free Member

I see what you did there MrMichaelKnight

STATO
    Free Member

alfine is about 2kg for the hub? yours is maybe 500g? so fair bit heavier. You could get a lighter rim as 729 is 700g? but youll only save maybe 300g at most and be down to a X717 xc rim.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i have a picture of a flanual somewhere……

BlobOnAStick

Cost – don’t know sorry, mine came on the bike
    Weight – your back wheel will definitely be heavier! By all accounts the Alfine =1.6kg, and it replaces cassette, rear hub, both front and back deraileurs, a couple of chainrings and front shifter and cables.
    Spacing – don’t think you’ll need to do anything different
    Durability – fine I believe (rode mine only about a dozen times, the bloke in the lbs has been running his for over a year for commuting and MTB duties and reckons it’s still going well)

Sorry if that’s not much use……

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member
    flange
    Free Member

Nice one Stato – cheers

Which one MrMichaelKnight?

boofon
    Free Member

RIP MK Street :O(

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

many in fact, looking through my old MK street pics 😀

man were we RAD

it’s a race you ****

clubber
    Free Member

Cost – £200 – £300ish – though more if you need a new rim and paying for the wheel build

Weight – Yes, the alfine’s heavy – you’ll be adding anything up to 1kg depending on what you currently have

Spacing – Normal 135mm mtb spacing. You’ll need a tensioner if your frame’s not designed for SS

Durability – I’ve asked this a few times – the answer so far seems to be yes, it’s lasting pretty well even when used for mtbing

Check out the internal gears forum on mtbr.com

flange
    Free Member

Righty – doesn’t sound too bad. Cheers for the link to MTBR – I’ll have a look.

That was the only ‘trick’ I could do Mike. I take it no one still rides it? Pity, I quite miss the marble

meehaja
    Free Member

Check superstar out… alfine hub, built into rear wheel for £200 irrc

wwaswas

+ £29 for the shifter and other gubbins

still not bad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alfine advice required’ is closed to new replies.