Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alfine advice
  • Mackem

Just pressed the “buy” button on an 8-speed alfine hub. So, what chainring/rear cog ratio is recommended for a very hilly place. Any other hints/tips/warnings?

cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

32 chainring / 18 rear gives you almost identical ratios to a 1×9 with a 32.

There is a calculator on Sheldons browns page or email me for the rather swish excel sheet someone on here worked out

Nexus sprockets can be used which are dished so allows you to tinker with chainline and gives more choice of sizes. Nexus twist shifters can also be used

kilo

I found the nexus twist grip to be much too fragile and it stripped within a few weeks so went to the trigger shifter, no problems with that – I am a clumsy lump though.

I use these sprockets

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-gear-sprocket-fits-sram-and-shimano-hub-gears-prod2825/

and a 32/22, low at the top end but I like low gears and tend to spin rather than push

mollyiom
    Free Member

32/22, low at the top end but I like low gears and tend to spin rather than push

On a 26″ rim?? do you wear a skirt?

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Oddly enough just been thrashing out the same issue for my Alfine 11 which is with the wheel builder right now.

The lowest internal gear on an Alfine 8 is the same as an Alfine 11 so my calcs apply to you too.

A 22/32/44 triple with a 12-34 cassette gives a lowest gear (22 chain ring / 32 sprocket) of 1.2 (gain ratio) , while the second gear (22/30) gives 1.4 . At the top end (44/12) the gain ratio is 6.9 .

To get 1.4 from the Alfine 8 you’ll need a 22 sprocket with a 32 chain ring. But at the top end your gain ratio will only be 4.4 – that’s the equivalent to 32/14 or 44/19 with a conventional dérailleur set up. To get a really good low you loose out quite a bit at the top end, or vice versa. Fortunately, with Alfine 11 there’s much less of a compromise.

You can find a fantastic on-line calculator at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

The next problem you’ll find is that Alfine sprockets only come in 18 and 20 tooth flavours. But don’t panic, Nexus sprockets fit fine and are available as 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 tooth versions, also they are cheaper and don’t have that plastic guard on them.

Good luck. Can’t wait for mine to be ready to ride. (If anyone form Alf’s is reading this – come on chop, chop boys!)

ash

I ride very hilly places (long uphill slogs / technical downs) and have always used 26:18 for my Alfine.

Spins out on tarmac pointing even slightly downhill, but so what?

kilo

On a 26″ rim?? do you wear a skirt? “

No should I, would it improve my mountain biking by airing my knackers, might it not chafe a bit?

I think the lowest gear on my Alfine set up would be higher than the lowest gear on my stock Giant Trance (19.9″ against 16.8″) presumably you’ll let Giant know the error of their ways?

I believe you may be, as my father would say, a jennet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AS an alfine only has the spread of gears of a 1×9 then somewhere you need to comprimise. Either at the top or the bottom of the range

I did ride mine with a 22 / 18 set up – that gives the same ratios as a 1×9 with a 22 chainring. It was laughably silly – spin away at 2.5 mph and spin out at about 15 mph. However it was for the strathpuffer.

so decide what you need – a highish gear for road downhill or a lowish gear for climbing offroad and gear it accordingly

I think on 26″ wheels 32 /18 or 32 /20 is about right

epicyclo

TandemJeremy – Member
    …I did ride mine with a 22 / 18 set up – that gives the same ratios as a 1×9 with a 22 chainring. It was laughably silly – spin away at 2.5 mph and spin out at about 15 mph. However it was for the strathpuffer.

Makes a lot of sense for the ‘Puffer if you’re not trying for 1st 🙂

mollyiom
    Free Member

On a 26″ rim?? do you wear a skirt? “

No should I, would it improve my mountain biking by airing my knackers, might it not chafe a bit?

I think the lowest gear on my Alfine set up would be higher than the lowest gear on my stock Giant Trance (19.9″ against 16.8″) presumably you’ll let Giant know the error of their ways?

I believe you may be, as my father would say, a jennet.

I bet you sit down to wee also. chill out ffs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alfine advice’ is closed to new replies.