Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alfine 8 woes
  • STATO
    Free Member

My alfine 8 wheel has developed an issue and i need advice 😥

Its only 2 years old and done around 1000 mile on the mtb i use as my offroad/shitty weather commuter. The hub was not in use most of 2015 as it had been snapping a lot of spokes. When i started using it again it sounded a bit rough so made a mental note to service it at some point, it also started throwing chains which i put down to a worn chain and poor tensioning, but a new chain didnt seem to resolve it. Its been sitting out the last month as ive had the SS wheel fitted to the commuter with a ice-spike tyre.

When i grabbed it yesterday the sprocket/gear-mechanism was seized solid, had to use a chain whip to free it up. So decided to pull the mechanism out and check it over. All the gears and internals looked perfect with clean grease one, but a bit of rust on the large outer bearing. When i reassembled it was feeling rough and still had a little play despite the cones being tight. A 20mile ride out and it was feeling very rough and now had noticable play in what looked like between the sprocket and the hub carrier (ie. they were moving separately). The chain also managed to throw itself despite being tight and the chainline good, which i put down to the movement of the sprocket carrier.

So is the internal mechanism/gear lump servicable, as i think its the inner bearing on the drive side thats goosed, but you cant seem to get to it? Everything on the net ive found is about taking it out as a lump and just dipping in oil. which im not sure will help me.

[note: the shifting has been perfect throughout if that matters]

scruff
    Free Member

There are full strip instructions somewhere on the Web but it looked very complicated. Iirc it was a Swedish site.

STATO
    Free Member

Anyone else with a suggestion before i throw the thing in the bin?

billyboy
    Free Member

I thought these needed a brief oil bath every 1500 miles. Shimano sell extremely v expensive oil and a v expensive plastic tub for the purpose.

STATO
    Free Member

I thought these needed a brief oil bath every 1500 miles. Shimano sell extremely v expensive oil and a v expensive plastic tub for the purpose.

Pretty sure thats for the mechanics of the hub, gears etc. Not the main hub/axle bearing.

thepodge
    Free Member

STATO – Anyone else with a suggestion before i throw the thing in the bin?

Take it to a shop, get them to fix it.

STATO
    Free Member

Take it to a shop, get them to fix it.

I could buy another for the price it would cost a shop to ‘fix it’. Not even a shop around here with a mechanic who has much experience of an alfine.

cookeaa

this any use?

It’s got pictures and videos apparently… But some of the links are dead.

STATO
    Free Member

Thanks. I looked at hubstripping first but as you say all their links are dead. However a i have just dug up something for the red-band nexus which looks to solve my problem. The gear carrier is held on the axle by a circlip and the drive side cones, looks to be stippable or at least pulling the cones to clean out or replace the drive side bearings.

linky

cookeaa

[video]https://youtu.be/XGks14goow0[/video]

How about this?

STATO
    Free Member

Christ, 20min vid for a 5min job! I did that and it didnt help, the play is in that big block he took out the hub. Thanks tho.

This is what ive found i need to do, remove the drive side cup and cone. Might need to fab up some tools like he has in the background to get at the cone.

Image from http://www.rideyourbike.com

bri-72

Ive just serviced mine. Used the hubstripping site previously but as said looks to be taken down. Thie link below isnt quite as pic heavy but tells you what you need to know. I referrd e to it last week to remind me when taking mine apart again.
    Atf (gearbox fluid) from halfords and a 2L coke bottle for oil bath. Worked a treat for me and had no issues in 2 years since i last serviced.
    Only PITA is the cone bearings. I decided to remove and replace but buggerd the plastic cage in process. Had a spare but real bitch to get back in. With hindsight id just clean and regrrease bearings in situ.

http://www.14degrees.org/shimano-alfine-8-speed-internal-gear-hub-oil-bath/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 woes’ is closed to new replies.