Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Alfine 8 Jtek Shifter, Any opinions?
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Looking at switching from Virsa shifters to Sram S500 and a Jtek Bar end shifter.

Anyone use one? easy set up and use?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve no idea but I did see that Shimano are now producing a right way round shifter for the Alfine 8 which I may have to get.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I missed that podge, do you have a link?

scruff
    Free Member

I switched to a Nexus twist shift as I couldn’t get used to the reverse Alfine 8 shifter.

thepodge
    Free Member

Half Way Down

Looks like you need a couple of other bits too but I’m wondering if this will be compatible with the Zerode shifter which lets you jump more than one gear at once

JRTG
    Free Member

Jtek shifter works brilliantly and does a nexus 8 as well as the alfine. HTH

GregMay
    Free Member

Jtek here on a 2014 Genesis Alfine. I’ve had zero issues. A workmate, who got the exact same bike at the same time, has had loads of issues.

I blame his on being a shortarse.

tonyd

Out of interest OP, why the change? I run Virsa on my Alfine 11 and find the amount of sweep required on the downshift a bit ridiculous, and the upshift is a bit easy to press in error, but otherwise they’re OK.

It would be nice if Shimano themselves actually produced an Alfine compatible brifter for drop bar bikes, or am I missing something?

GregMay
    Free Member

There is a reason they don’t make the Virsa anymore…they had a habit of breaking magnificently.

Andy-R

thepodge – Member

Looks like you need a couple of other bits too but I’m wondering if this will be compatible with the Zerode shifter which lets you jump more than one gear at once

Yes, that would be good, as then the Zerode shifter would do multiple shifts down (which is useful) rather than up, which I never use.
    If it’ll do high/normal with the new Alfine shifter then I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with the Zerode.

bentudder

I ran a Jtek with a Nexus 8 bodged into a singlecross frame. It’s lovely, and I still have it tucked away. I was lured by some cheap Versas. The action on the JTek is far nicer. It’s simple, well made and feels lovely.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Out of interest OP, why the change?

Comfort – I really like the feel of the sram hoods over the virsa ones,
    Reliability – As above heard a few horror stories which is not something I want on a touring bike i’m aiming to do some long rides on.
    Simplicity – I’ve used dura-ace bar end shifter before faultlessly so if the Jtek’s are similar i’ll go for it.

I’ve found a few uk seller which is a bonus. (Unless anyone has one for sale) 😉

Sam

I’ve built a couple of bikes with them for customers and they have been very pleased with them. From short test rides they have a really nice positive feel to them. Not had any issues with reliability

bentudder

Shep, I might sell mine – but it’s scuffed. Otherwise, it works just fine. 🙂

Del

Where are the j-tek in stock please? I had a pretty good poke about a couple of months ago.

bentudder

I seem to remember Jay, the chap behind JTek, passed away. By all accounts he was an amazing engineer, tinkerer and maker of handy things like that shifter. Here’s the history: http://jtekengineering.com/history.php
    Maybe make contact with the Guthries direct, see if they can point you in the right direction. It’s a business well worth supporting.

ontor
    Free Member

I’d be interested if anyone has one going?

Mackem

I’ve got the J-tek converter, a thing so you can run the j-tek shifter on a flat bar, like a thumby. I did promise it to someone on here a while back but couldnt find it. Just moved house and found it. So if anyone wants it, you can have it.

mmills
    Free Member

I have a Jtek alfine 8 bar end shifter for sale. £30 with postage to UK. Any takers?

Matthew

stoat

I could be interested mate, my emails in my profile.

Cheers, Stoat

mmills
    Free Member

This is still available. If anybody is interested the just contact me.

Cheers, Matthew.

drofluf
    Free Member

Matthew – I’m interested, did you get my e-mail?

mmills
    Free Member

The shifter has now been sold – Thanks for the interest. Matthew

rollodes
    Free Member

I also have one for sale £40 delivered…email Rollo @ Cwgsy dot net

drofluf
    Free Member

I also have one for sale £40 delivered…email Rollo @ Cwgsy dot net

You have mail!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 Jtek Shifter, Any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.