Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine 8 gearing question
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

I have just bought a secondhand cotic roadrat and find the gearing a bit much ,I can’t see that I would ever use the top gear’s much especialy when ploding on cycle paths and bridleways. Currently it has a 45 tooth up front with what looks like a 20tooth sprocket at the back.

What are you guys running and on what sort of terrain are you riding

Saccades
    Free Member

32-18 for lake district equivalent.

44-45 is for on the road.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My Saracen Pylon8 had the default 38T chainring and I think it was a default 20T sprocket (IIRC I bought an 18T spare but never got round to fitting it before I found a bad seat tube crack).

Typically it had 26×2″ Landcruisers on it, 6th gear was good for flat terrain; 7th and 8th got me to a decent speed downhill; 3rd usually got me uphill (all on tarmac commute).

johnners
    Free Member

I run 39-18 for the road mainly because I had an old road double kicking about when I built the bike. The range is roughly equivalent to a compact double with a 12-27 cassette, which is fine for round here. Obviously bigger jumps between gears though. When I used it on an offroad build it was 32-18 but tbh that was a bit tall for me.

tjagain

45/20 is standard road gearing for alfines. I used to run 32/16 on mine for commuting – that was a bit low. Easy on the hills but span out too soon. Currently running 41/16 but thats with an electric kit fitted so I don’t need low gears for hills

tjagain

Rear sprockets are relatively cheap – but obviously would need a new chain if you go larger. I have a few if you want to try some. Nexus sprockets fit but have a couple of MM of dish – if yours is dished its actually a nexus sprocket. If you want to go huge on the rear sturmey archer sprokets fit if you file off 3 of the six tabs and come in huge sizes

Good gear calculater on sheldon brown IIRC – and the range is 300% in a alfine 8 which is equivalent to a 11-32 cassettee IIRC – a bit more range than a 12/27 I am fairly sure

teddy
    Free Member

50t crank with 20t rear for me.
    Allows for 16-17mph av on road on a pompetamine.
    First gear is too high for anything steeper than 1:8 for me.
    Top Max’s out at 35ish.
    Pick a ratio that allows you to spend most time in 5th which has the least drag (i think!)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I had a ridgeback touring bike with alfine 8.

I found 42-20 was personally a great ratio. I could get up a 20% climb with that. I would top out around 22mph-25mph on the flat. (spinning like mad)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 gearing question’ is closed to new replies.