Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alfine 11 'sticking'
  • tonyd

Morning.

The gears on my Alfine 11 have been a bit grumbly lately so I put the bike on the stand last night for a fettle. The gears appear to be indexed OK (went from 11 down to 6 and made sure the yellow lines are aligned) yet they still crunch a little and I’m sure I’m missing one from time to time.

While it was on the stand and I was spinning the pedals I also noticed that it’s not free-wheeling properly – spin up in a high gear (more noticeable) and when you let go of the pedals they continue to turn. If it gets much worse I might end up with a coaster brake!

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I attempt to strip it, clean etc? I bought it second hand through the classifieds here so doubt I can send it to Madison without incurring some cost and (more importantly) being without the bike for some time.

Thanks

scruff
    Free Member

Strip and degrease then chuck some fresh oil in it.

Phil_H

Mine does the freewheeling thing, it did it before it went to madison to sort an oil leak and still did it when it came back. I don’t notice it when riding though.
    You might try a flush & oil change (the shimano oil is damn expensive)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

Sounds like it could do with an oil change service: I did this recently and bought the necessary here…
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alfine-11-SG-S700-hub-oil-maintenance-kit-oil-optional-beats-TL-S703-/271399425543?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item3f30aa9607

Contacted him direct and bought 100ml oil instead of 50ml so I had spare for future (Proper expensive Shimano snake oil too)…about £27 all in iirc for what will be 2 oil changes. Good bloke and he provides his own instructions in addition to the Shimano ones. Very easy to do albeit if you are patient

Other thing to note is that aligned yellow dots does not equal perfect gear setup. I had skipping in gear 10 with perfectly aligned yellow dots but it was only through trial and error with the barrel adjuster that I found the perfect setup for all 11 gears (No skipping etc) and the yellow dots do not align

tonyd

scruff – have you stripped one down before? Much to it?

Phil – yep, the freewheeling thing doesn’t bother me overly and I rarely freewheel anyway, it’s just my bike OCD kicking in and making me think it needs fixing.

nuke – thanks, I just email the guy for a kit.

nuke

have you stripped one down before? Much to it?

I’ve currently got a Alfine 8 stripped down and its a lot simpler than I was expecting but I’d still go with an oil change first as it is very straight forward on the Alfine 11. Mine seemed noticeable less draggy after an oil change although it did still skip but, as I said, to resolve that it was just playing around with setup

tonyd

Yep, oil change first I think, followed by fettling to try to fix the skipping. Strip down would be a last resort.

FWIW the skipping has worsened recently so I thought it might just be cable stretch, but the freewheeling thing threw me off a bit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 11 'sticking'’ is closed to new replies.