Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Alfine 11 spewed its oil…
  • mrlugz
    Free Member

so I gave my commuter a thorough clean on Sunday, including de-gunking the massive build up of crud around the cog/shifter bits on the Alfine hub.

All went ok, shiny clean, new chain etc, but this morning there was a big puddle of oil beside the rear wheel.

It was from the hub.

I have no experience in the dismantling of these hubs, but looking at this document here (pdf) part number 21 is quite loose and it appears that this is where the oil has come from.

There appears to be no play in the axle with regards to bearings, so does this bit need to be tight?

Cheers

Lugs

jes
    Free Member

Check the cone bearing, parts 25 and 34, they may feel ok but need to a fraction on the tight side of correct when spinning the wheel.

Part 26 is the drive side cover that seals the axle, which can get damaged from loose cone bearing.

Check part 26 for tightness, there is a tool to tighten and loosen this part but if you can unscrew by hand it is too loose.

If you can unscrew it check the seals and refit with a smear of grease on the seal. This temporary measure seams to have lasted for the last 12 months after an oil change.

I was going to replace part 26 if it still leaked as it fairly cheap.

Good luck

mrlugz
    Free Member

Thanks Jes 🙂

Looks like I need to invest in some cone spanners…

jes
    Free Member

No worries mrludgz, are you also getting gear slipping issues as well as the oil leak?

mrlugz
    Free Member

no gear slipping issues, just the leak. should have left it dirty 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 11 spewed its oil…’ is closed to new replies.