Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alfine 11 gearing recs..
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Whose running one?

Any recommendations?

monkeyboyjc

i was – 32/18 sometimes 32/22 (for trips to cwm carn)

mboy
    Free Member

What size wheels?

I had an 8speed on a 29er, and found 34 up front with a 22 the best compromise.

On an 11speed I’d gear down very slightly though, as the extra 3 gears are at the top end of the range, not the bottom, so would probably run a 32/22, or even 32/23 if you can find a 23T Nexus sprocket anywhere.

If you want a copy of the Excel Gear ratio calculator I created to have a play, and work out your own desired ratio, drop me an email (in my profile) and i’ll send it to you.

DIS

I am using 18 34 which works well for i live and ride. I use my bike on road and off road, plus much prefer to stand when going up hill so manage a higher ratio than perhaps other people may use. I had no problem with this ratio at places such as Afan. However If you prefer to sit and spin up hills or not that fit then definitively go for lower ratio.

You can always find a gear ratio chart for alfine on line then use a gear calculator to work out what your top and bottom range would be for any given set up, compare with what you would use on normal gear bike set up and adjust alfine set up accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Alfine 11 ratios are as follows –

Gear Ratio 1 0.527
    Gear Ratio 2 0.681
    Gear Ratio 3 0.770
    Gear Ratio 4 0.878
    Gear Ratio 5 0.995
    Gear Ratio 6 1.134
    Gear Ratio 7 1.292
    Gear Ratio 8 1.462
    Gear Ratio 9 1.667
    Gear Ratio 10 1.888
    Gear Ratio 11 2.153

Divide the number of teeth on the sprocket by the numbers above to give a cassette size equivalent.

So if you are running a 20T sprocket you have roughly a 38T lowest gear (20/0.527) and a 9T highest gear (20/2.153). This should give you an idea of what ring size you need.

jes
    Free Member

Set up with a straight a cable run as possible,this has been very easy on the HT, I have not tried it on an FS frame but suspension action and longer more convoluted cable runs may make set up more interesting.

If you shorten the cable, cut it from the shifter end as the ferrule on the hub end is not designed to be re-fitted.
    Ensure the cut outer and liner cables are cleaned up and not burred or crushed.

Make sure you are accurate with the recommended cable length from the ferrule to the clamp bolt that locates into the hub.

Align the yellow dots on the hub to correctly set up the gear indexing, try it and adjust if required, I have heard some people require the dots to be slightly off alignment to correctly engage all the ratios without any issues.

The cable will need tweeking during initial use.

Ease up on the power when changing, and don’t mash the pedals if it doesn’t quite engage.

Running as 32 x 24 feels a bit spongy in the lower gears at standstill but seem ok spinning up the hills.

Hope this helps 😀

IHN

I’ve seen the Alfine deal at On-One, I’m quite tempted for my soon to be built up Altitude. I don’t really want to have a chain tensioner spoiling the lines though (tart that I am), what are the cleanest looking options?

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you shorten the cable, cut it from the shifter end as the ferrule on the hub end is not designed to be re-fitted.

On the inner cable?

jes
    Free Member

On the inner cable?

🙂 No, the outer and liner, there is a super beefy ferrule on the hub end thats very difficult to re-fit.
    The inner cable may be cut from the normal end.

chrispo
    Free Member

I’ve got 32/20 on an Alfine 8 and I find first gear low enough for everything (I’d guess between 2nd and 3rd on a standard 27 gear setup). The Alfine 11 then adds three gears at the top end of the range, which must be very useful on road sections cos I always spin out on them as soon as they go even slightly downhill.

If you regularly use the two lowest gears on a derailleur setup, you might therefore want to go for a slightly bigger ring at the back, say 22. It’s not any major hassle/expense changing at a later date if you find it too hard/easy.

To aid comparison, I should add that I am reasonably quick (for a vet) XC/trail rider, not some uber-macho singlespeed god…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

32/20-22 was the way I was heading..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 11 gearing recs..’ is closed to new replies.