Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alfine 11
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Any news about any full builds coming with this?
    I could do with a commuter and it sounds ideal.

Also, anyone done the weight comparison? I'm guessing that there isn't much difference when taking into account the entire drivechain compared to LX??

fisha
    Free Member

one of the 2011 cube hooper variants lists alfine 11 as the gear hub. I have the 2010 one and love it – brilliant commuter for my needs.

http://www.cube.eu/en/tour/urban-life-series/hooper-pro/

weight wise – its about 11.5kg – so dont be expecting super light as its blurb suggests. That being said, mine feels really very solid, and would take touring no problems. You could easily lose weight in the tyres and rims and notice a big difference further down the line.

As for weight of the alfine, you notice the rearward weight bias if your chucking it about quickly over bumps and stuff – plus the front end seems to feel much lighter as a consequence. but on the flat / road / hills, it makes no difference.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ah… my favourite subject, i know this relates to the 8 speed but this is what i posted on an earlier alfine thread.

Stu McGroo – as there's much speculation and not much in the way of facts about the extra weight of an alfine bike over conventional 3×9 set-up i decided to do some digging.

i've just had an email from charge bikes and it says,

"There is virtually no difference in overall weight (less than 100g from memory), between a duster 8 and equivalent priced duster with conventional gearing."

obviously there is a rearward weight shift with the alfine but this answers any overall weight questions.

chriswilk
    Free Member

That cube looks interesting. Is there enough clearance to put on some corss like tyres as I'll be doing some off road on the commute.

packer
    Free Member

"There is virtually no difference in overall weight (less than 100g from memory), between a duster 8 and equivalent priced duster with conventional gearing."

and since the Alfine 11 is around 100g lighter than the Alfine 8 that should mean there is no weight difference at all.

packer
    Free Member

Regarding complete bikes with the Alfine 11 on, the only ones I have hard about so far are the Charge Duster 11, Charge Mixer 11, and Genesis iOiD 11

chriswilk
    Free Member

thanks packer,

interesting, but I guess I'll have to go for a std drivechain as I think I want a cross bike (no drop bar lever for it yet) and will get it on c2w scheme so limited to 1k.

So, Mr Genesis – please make a day one cross with Alfine 11 for under a grand and you have your first customer

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why oh why don't they make a close ratio Alfine for road bikes?

Would be teh shizzle.

Mister-P
    Free Member

11 speed Alfine Day One for under a grand?

chriswilk
    Free Member

MrP – day one cross – 500 notes, Alfine hub – 350, Alfine (trigger) shifter 50 – so why not? Would have to be shop built for me to get it on c2w

YoKaiser
    Free Member

+1 for the Alfine 11 Day One.

Charge have Alfine 11 bikes fro 2011, I would have thought Genesis would have too.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Its the non existance of an 11sp alfine sti shifter for drops that is the problem i think, afaik the 8spd is using the Versa lever and they haven't yet done a 11spd version (for the life of me I can't remember what the time difference was between 8spd coming out and the Versa lever appearing though so it could be weeks, months or a year before we see an 11spd versa)

packer
    Free Member

I am sure Versa or someone else will do a drop bar shifter for it later this year if you can hang on.
    You're never going to get an Alfine 11 bike for under a grand I'm afraid, the hub is too pricey for that.
    I would like to see a close-ratio version too, would be great for commuting even if it was just 8-speed.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What size stick would sir like for his moon? 🙂

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/genesis-day-one-alfine-unveiled/5370.html

IanW
    Free Member
    timmys

IanMunro – Member

What size stick would sir like for his moon?

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/genesis-day-one-alfine-unveiled/5370.html

That's 8 speed.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bollocks 🙁 Must pay more attention 🙂
    /Edit
    Ah just worked out what happened Saw the announcement yesterday of the 11 speed day one “This is a very interesting new Genesis. A Day One ‘cross bike, but with new 11speed Alfine and disc brakes. World tour? Cyclocross race? Both”, didn't notice the amendment by chipps to it being an 8 speed 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know that bike is 8 speed and I know how much thought went into getting it under a grand.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Im a bit late to this party but Brodie Bikes have a new 11sp Alfine bike (also a 8spd) called the ‘Once’

I am hoping prices will be around the 1K mark for the 11 spd and £800-900 ish for the 8 spd

Full specs are
    FRAME 6061 Shaped Butted Al Road
    FRONT FORK Kinesis GL-17 Alloy
    HANDLE BAR Brodie 18mm Riser SL 31.8
    STEM Brodie 4 Bolt SL
    BRAKES Shimano Hyd. 6″ Disc
    CRANKS Shimano Alfine S500 39t
    PEDALS Shimano 505 SPD
    HUBS Shimano Alfine 11 / M495
    CASSETTE Shimano Alfine 18t
    RIMS Kore Gradient II / Kore SS
    TIRES Vittoria Zaffiro II
    FRONT DERAILLEUR N/A
    REAR DERAILLEUR N/A
    SHIFTERS Shimano Alfine SL-S700
    SADDLE Brodie Road
    S/POST Brodie Road 27.2
    EXTRAS Eccentric BB

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388219@N00/5061753875/]Express Series – 2011 Once[/url] by srbwilson, on Flickr

si-wilson
    Free Member

Just to confirm the ‘Once’ will retail at £1150 and the ‘Ocho’ for £899. I am also registering with Cyclesheme to be able to offer these bikes through the bike to work scheme.

Anyone interested let me know and i’ll send over the specs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 11’ is closed to new replies.