Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alf Garnett died.
  • Kryton57

RIP Warren Mitchell.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Up the ‘ammers

RIP

spursn17
    Free Member

Up the ‘ammers

Alf Garnett (character) = Wet Spam fan

Warren Mitchell (actor) = lifelong Spurs fan

RIP Mr Mitchell, a real gent.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Very sad, loved him & his character in Till Death us do Part! RIP.

jamj1974

His acting was superb – did so much more than being Alf Garnett(Which he was brilliant at.). Very underrated IMHO. Suffered a lot from the idea that the Alf Garnett character glorified prejudice – again IMHO.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Indeed RIP. A time when you could make non PC jokes and the public would (generally) understand it was satire rather than being outraged (although there was plenty of that too)

convert

I was introduced to ‘adult humour’, racism and sexism through Warren Mitchell and Alf Garnett. The concept of this horrible bigoted man being funny because what he said was stupid and that the actor playing him held very different beliefs (which made him a great actor) was quite a bit to get your head around at 6 years old.

It seems like he was a thoroughly likeable bloke.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I guess today’s media can’t celebrate his life, as this is the first I’ve heard of it.

atlaz
    Free Member

I guess today’s media can’t celebrate his life, as this is the first I’ve heard of it.

I heard about it and I live in Luxembourg, hardly the English speaking media nexus of Europe

gordimhor

RIP Warren Mitchell. A comedy with the satirical edge of Till death us do part is much needed today

Drac

I heard about it 2 days ago in the media.

In Sickness and in Health was more my era, RIP.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

RIP Warren.

Best line, when drunk and trying to light his new electric oven hob under his kettle.
    He was striking matches and it wasn’t lighting the gas, he said
    “Bloody North Sea gas….. It’s too wet to light”

I still say this to myself every time the gas hob doesn’t fire up the first time.

konabunny
    Free Member

Indeed RIP. A time when you could make non PC jokes and the public would (generally) understand it was satire rather than being outraged (although there was plenty of that too)

I think this is sort of reimagining history. The scripts were full of non-PC jokes because PC hadn’t been invented yet, either in the sense of not being a dick to people unnecessarily nor in the Richard Littlejohn sense of PC gorn mad I mean you can’t even racially abuse people with a different skin colour any more what is the world coming to I might as well be living under the third reich FFS

Also, although Mitchell and Marks (was it him that wrote the scripts?) had good intentions initially, I don’t think that the 40% of the total TV audience (or whatever) that watched it in the mid 1970s thought they were watching a satirisation of the prejudices of the white working class. I think they probably thought they were watching Alf Garnett take the piss out of the scouser and the “fairy spear chucker”. People didn’t object to it because that kind of language wasn’t particularly remarkable!

Pigface
    Free Member

Great actor who played a great character, RIP Warren Mitchell

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kona, I think many watching didn’t realise it was satire, in that sense they were the butt of the joke.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alf Garnett died.’ is closed to new replies.