Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Aleppo despair
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the advisor guy in New York

He seemed to be a full on propoganda machine, bombing the Syrian Government airfield when it could have Russian planes on it was not the brightest suggestion.

Comentators make the same points that the “rebels” include many from Al-Queda offshoots. Also propoganda from both sides about casualties and it could well be that the city is far more emplty of civilians than we have been lead to believe. There is no doubt that the “rebels” have used civilans as human shields refusing to let them leave. There is also the Mosul/Aleppo comparions in terms of viewpoints and reporting

Robert Frisk in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/aleppo-falls-to-syrian-regime-bashar-al-assad-rebels-uk-government-more-than-one-story-robert-fisk-a7471576.html

Spectator

In Mosul, fewer than 10,000 Isis fighters control about a million people. In eastern Aleppo, it is estimated that about 5,000 armed men, the majority linked to al–Qaeda, dominate a population of about 200,000. In each case the armed groups use the zones they occupy to attack government areas with rockets, mortars and other weapons.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/time-judge-assads-aleppo-campaign-standards-set-mosul/

fin25
    Free Member

The truth is, no-one knows the truth of what’s going on in Aleppo. The suggestion to bomb an airfield was not propaganda, it was an answer to the question of how the west gets leverage.

I don’t understand why some of you keep feeling the need to put up figures about how many rebels are Nusra Front or who funded this or whatever. No-one here has suggested the rebels are the good guys, but some of you constantly waving fingers about have clearly chosen your side.

The rebels are bad guys, the govt forces are bad guys, Daesh are bad guys. In the middle of all the bad guys are civilians, children, who are being used as human shields, executed for asking for freedom, punished for trying to leave, killed by mortars, barrel bombs full of chlorine, mines, hunger, disease and despair.

But yeah, I agree, the number of rebels linked to al-Queda is really relevant. 😡

I suppose we’ll have to hear next about how many of the evacuated civilians are al-Queda in disguise. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the “rebels” have been very much painted as the good guys in the media. The fact we use the word rebel and not terrorist says a lot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimjam
    Free Member

jambalaya
    I think the “rebels” have been very much painted as the good guys in the media. The fact we use the word rebel and not terrorist says a lot.

Well co-alition funded radical islamists is a bit of a mouthful.

soobalias
    Free Member

so you have established that all sides are ‘bad guys’
    how do you determine the allegiance of a civilian/child?

and if you do, or work out how to successfully remove them from the sitution, what then. Stand back and watch or join in?

while your initial call for help/time/money/prayer is well meaning, what assures you that your actions do not inadvertantly spark the next round?

elzorillo
    Free Member

A tragic situation. Imagine the suffering that could have been avoided if the west hadnt embarked on yet more regime change. It’s a sad indictment on western media that they have been so overwhelmingly biased in favour of rebels over a legitimate leader throughout the troubles.

You’d have to be very naive indeed to believe that Western politicians and media have suddenly become ‘deeply concerned’ for the safety of the people of #Aleppo, when they have for years been supportive of the very terrorists who have been butchering them by the thousands.

fin25
    Free Member

Soobalias, the container going out this week is full of children’s clothes and paracetamol. I’m pretty sure children’s coats aren’t going to exacerbate the conflict. 🙄

Do you know what, this is pathetic, why am I even trying to justify myself to you clowns.

Denis99
    Free Member

What a tradgedy for humanity.

We should all be ashamed, our western governments have let us down.

irc

We should all be ashamed, our western governments have let us down.

Ashamed of what. It’s a tragic civil war but we didn’t start it. We can’t stop every war/conflict even if we wanted to. As far as I can see it was sparked by Assad regime brutality not anything we did.

Pro-democracy protests erupted in March 2011 in the southern city of Deraa after the arrest and torture of some teenagers who painted revolutionary slogans on a school wall. After security forces opened fire on demonstrators, killing several, more took to the streets.

The unrest triggered nationwide protests demanding President Assad’s resignation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26116868

Humanitarian aid Sure. But the conflict isn’t our fault.

I don’t think the war in Syria is worth the life of a single British soldier. Would anyone here be happy for their son or brother to be part of a British force going to sort out Syria?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The only reason there is no “Egyptian Civil War” is because the West doesn’t want one.

Otherwise there would be one – you can be sure of that.

fin25
    Free Member

Dunno, with our current fetishisation of the 1950’s and it’s subsequent values I wouldn’t rule out an attempt to return the Suez Canal to its “rightful” custodian.

elzorillo
    Free Member

And so today the backtracking has begun.. Good article in the Independent pretty much admitting they’ve been lying on Syria via Home office encouragement to paint Pro gov forces as bad and rebels including the terrorist linked White Helmets as the good guys.

Then we have the UN Independent investigator on Syria openly naming the BBC, the Guardian & the NYT as the biggest peddler of lies on Syria.

This is an interesting watch.. Youtube

fin25
    Free Member

Yeah, who knew al Nusra were a bunch of wrong’uns?

I’m as surprised as anyone that our previously saint-like media have been telling porkies.

Denis99
    Free Member

IRC

We (Western world) have stood by and watched a truly desperate human tradgey on our TVs screens for ages.

C4 news in particuar have covered this.

We should have done more.

It’s not who started it, it’s simply watching the death of innocent women and children each day.

It’s not a blame thing, leave that to the politicians.

irc

Denis99 – Member

We (Western world) have stood by and watched a truly desperate human tradgey on our TVs screens for ages.

C4 news in particuar have covered this.

We should have done more.

So what should we have done that would have stopped the war? Diplomacy didn’t work. Various cease fires didn’t hold. If the participants are going to keep on killing each other then what can we do short of military force. And I think not getting involved militarily was correct. It isn’t our war.

fin25
    Free Member

But we are involved. The west (in league with Saudi Arabia) has been supplying and supporting some pretty shady groups in this conflict. There seems to have been a policy of indirect regime change by proxy. This policy might have worked but for the involvement of Russia in support of Assad.

We could never have acted in any way which may have been construed as supporting Assad, as he is in league with the “enemy” (Iran, Hezbollah) and it would have put Saudi Arabia’s nose well out of joint, hence the incredibly one-sided debate here in the west. Things are changing though.

The media have recently been given the nod to start questioning our relationship with Saudi Arabia (do you really think Boris is that stupid?) after the atrocities carried out in Yemen. What Syria has taught the west is that a major rethink is needed regarding our alliances in the area and they appear to slowly be pulling away from Saudi Arabia. Diplomatically, this will be a very slow, careful process which, I fear, will result in a great many more deaths. Part of that process might be helped by western governments and media portraying the true nature of the conflict in Syria. But of course, this would mean fessing up to some of the despicable things that have been done with western support.

If only the west could elect a leader unrestrained by such diplomatic doublethink, capable of wiping the slate clean…(I say this with a very, very keen sense of irony).

What upsets me the most is that we seem to have become incapable of seeing these conflicts on a human level, I know a lot of you don’t like him, but Adam Curtis sums it up better than I could.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8moePxHpvok[/video]

Which is where my call to help came from. Rather than sitting around blaming one side or the other, or moaning that your government isn’t doing anything, do something. Or don’t, I can’t tell you what to do.

gonzy
    Free Member

The only reason there is no “Egyptian Civil War” is because the West doesn’t want one.

Otherwise there would be one – you can be sure of that.

true it serves no purpose or benefit to the UK/USA etc…this is exactly the same case for the lack of action in Syria, Yemen, Myanmar etc…just as it has done in the past too such as Srebrenica.

heres the reason why:
    [video]https://youtu.be/5CnZjwSkw60[/video]

greentricky
    Free Member

The view from the other side
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ia7AsXFsc[/video]

Not sure I like the view from the other side

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Aleppo despair’ is closed to new replies.