Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Ale drinkers – chiled or not?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What’s the consensus on whether to fridge bottled beers or not? I’m thinking IPA mainly but I tried a bottle of this stout last night and was a little surprised to see it said best served chilled (although some drink chilled Guinness I suppose)

http://www.cheshirebrewhouse.co.uk/product/lindow/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

like any beer is all has it’s temperature. As the Aussies hate hearing you chill the shit out of it to hide the shit taste

mt
    Free Member

the only way to serve beer is chilled when its crap.

Good beer don’t need it. Your cellar has to be the right temperature though.

_tom_
    Free Member

I chill it all, don’t like a warm pint.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    I chill it all, don’t like a warm pint.

Do you chill red wine?

_tom_
    Free Member

No but I don’t really drink much wine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

honestly try letting a beer warm up, something like a good stout should be warmer, an IPA comes to live once it’s out of the fridge.

househusband

Proper ale – no! But then not warm either, cellar cool.

Drac

Chilled is for those with no taste.

Cellar temp is about right.

slowoldman

Cooler than ambient temperature, but that’s it.

Bazz

12-14 degC, warmer than your fridge, cooler than your house.

trout
    Free Member

Drink it how you like it and bollocks to the wine / beer snobs

Red wine room temp but what was room temp when they invented red wine
    certainly not 20c

Cletus
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

trout – Member
    Drink it how you like it and bollocks to the wine / beer snobs

only suggesting that people try, it’s only 1 beer

Drac

Red wine room temp but what was room temp when they invented red wine
    certainly not 20c

Given its earlier origins it would be pretty warm.

seosamh77
    Free Member

warm beer is for odd balls.

donald
    Free Member

That’s about the same temperature as my house 🙁

Bazz

That’s about the same temperature as my house

Rather you than me mate 😆

Dibbs
    Free Member

in my yoof I drank a fair bit of Newcastle Brown and always preferred it warm, later they put the thing on the label that changed colour when it was cold, don’t know why some kind of marketing ploy I expect.

Cougar

Try it at different temperatures, see what you prefer. Simples.

I tend to stick paler things like IPA in the fridge, something dark and chewy would go in the cupboard. Though my kitchen is pretty much ‘cellar temperature’ most of the time.

dannyh
    Free Member

You chill shit-tasting beer to disguise it. That is why lager is served cold.

I cannot stand it when you go into a pub, get a pint of something you know is decent, you can tell it is decent from the faint taste available, but it is too cold.

Chilling ale is just plain wrong.

matt_outandabout

2-14 degC, warmer than your fridge, cooler than your house.

aP
    Free Member

Do you chill red wine?

Yes. Sometimes. It’s quite nice, in the right context, and with the right wine.
    Cellar temperature will be about 8-10C not 15 or so.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Quite often though, you’re drinking beer for its cooling, thirst-quenching and refreshing properties, so the taste or hint of a taste you can ascertain whilst it’s chilled is a secondary consideration. If that’s what you’re after, you don’t want a pint of gravy.

As a general rule, Chez McDef, light coloured beers go in the fridge, dark-coloured beers go in the drinks cupboard, a draughty wee hole adjacent to the leccy meter on the colder, north-facing side of the house.

So of the beers I regularly drink, something like Badger’s Poachers Choice would go in the cupboard, and Hopping Hare would go in the fridge.

Also, if you check the labels on decent red wine for a recommended serving temperature, it’s quite a bit below what most people would regard as room temperature in your average centrally-heated house.

Haze

Chill it, but let it stand out for a while before opening/drinking.

Too cold straight from the fridge.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Haze has it right above.

You chill shit-tasting beer to disguise it. That is why lager is served cold.

Not all lager is shit.

My mother talks of when she used to go and get my grandad bottled beer from the pub to drink at home, he used to take the poker out of the fire and dip it in the glass of beer to warm it up, i doubt he cared too much quite exactly what temperature it was to be honest as long as the deep chill was off it.

I like a slightly on the cool side ale, nothing wrong with that at all.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Bottled ale needs chilling. They nearly all taste the same anyway so it’s like cola – ie best served just below freezing and be grateful you have something to go with food 8)

Draught ales are best pulled with the cellar temperature at exactly (satisfyingly exhales) ‘Aaaaa’ degrees in relation to outside temperature plus or minus personal core temperature depending upon exhertion levels prior to imbibing.

If too warm you don’t exhale with satisfied aaaaah.

If too cold for both ambient and body temp you are just grateful for a cool drink and could probably have ordered iced soda and lime.

This is not an exact science and they may or may not be numbers attached – but after 34 yrs of ale-drinking I know what is too warm or cold.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Chilled, USA stylee FTW! If the glass ain’t frosted . . . 😡
    I have no taste 😆

CountZero

Chilled, USA stylee FTW! If the glass ain’t frosted . . .
    I have no taste

Most American beer not only has little or no taste, it has little or no alchohol in it either.
    And I have drunk American beer in America. Michelob, 3.2ABV. Like making love in a boat. That was draught, not bottled.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, been to SLC?

Lagunitas is pretty damn good too . . . especially when served in a glass this size 😛

jamj1974

Try it at different temperatures, see what you prefer. Simples.

Try a couple of temperatures and see which you prefer it at. Not all palates are identical – so what’s right for you will not be right for everybody else.

As for people who look down on you for how you enjoy your beverages – ignore them.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Used to think warm beer was odd and never liked the taste in pubs, but then found I was drinking tepid bland watery beer and that was the problem. Once I discovered real ales, pale ales, IPA and such stuff it all started making sense and the beer was much nicer also.

That said, in the States they serve it all chilled and they’ve got quite into their micro brews and pale/IPA stuff which does actually seem nice they way they serve it chilled. Not sure it’s just the style they brew that works that way. I’ve noticed a few local breweries mark some beers as better a little chilled and others more around room temperature and usually they’re right.

Guinness Extra Cold… no. Horrible. But then Guinness is meh anyway.

Lager… chilled. Especially with curry, which has to be with lager, not ales.

Red wine, absolutely not chilled. Ruins it. White wine is opposite. It’s not just snobbery, it’s just scientific fact 😀

p.s. Red Rock… nice stuff 😀 . Likewise Squatters. Talking of chilled there’s a bar in SLC that has ice along the bar to keep beers chilled. Anyway, indeed there’s loads of decent American beers. Just steer clear of the redneck crap like Bud, Cors, Michelob. It’s all like drinking Fosters. Nasty. Avoid sports bars and you can get decent beer 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Most American beer not only has little or no taste, it has little or no alchohol in it either.

Either you mean only the mass produced big brand beers…Bud, Coors, Miller, etc, or you’re just talking out of your arse?

Murr
    Free Member

I think that if it’s chilled to much it can loose it’s taste , you don’t get much head on them either , so tend to drink mine just around room temperature or just below.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Cupboard under stairs on outside wall temp for me, ideally!

Drac

Quite often though, you’re drinking beer for its cooling, thirst-quenching and refreshing properties,

No, no I’m not or very rarely.

r you mean only the mass produced big brand beers…Bud, Coors, Miller, etc, or you’re just talking out of your arse?

The later.

globalti
    Free Member

Bottled ale needs chilling. They nearly all taste the same anyway so it’s like cola – ie best served just below freezing and be grateful you have something to go with food

Nonsense, there’s as much variety in bottled ales as in draft ales.

Bottled beer comes out of my cold garage at just the right temperature.

bones
    Free Member

I like all beer chilled. I’m mainly an ipa or pale ale drinker where posible, but I need it to be cool and refreshing. I’m constantly hot, sweaty and thirsty, and tend to guzzle water and booze. Horses for courses. Warm thick ale just makes me think of sunday dinner, which I’m not really a fan of 😐

deadkenny
    Free Member

Whole stack of local Hogs Back beers in the kitchen in bottles and no way I’d chill them. They are all different and very much different in flavour.

Personally I find drafts can be hit and miss. Sometimes wonderful, sometimes plain awful for the same beer.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Usually chill in the fridge, usual storage spot is a little warm though I suppose I could find a cooler place. Got a taste for cold beer when I lived in a warm country…it warms in the glass anyway at the rate I usually drink them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Ale drinkers – chiled or not?’ is closed to new replies.