Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Aldi/Lidl natural/Greek yoghurt.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Does anyone know if they are ‘live’ yoghurts? It does not say on them and I can’t see anything on their website. Or are all yoghurts live? If not, are they worth consuming or are they nutritionally bereft and spending a little more on a live one would be the wiser choice? Just the plain variety,not the flavoured kind.

ourmaninthenorth

AFAIK all yoghurt is live.

I’m not convinced it has any nutritional value beyond calcium and calories. If I eat it (I don’t really like it) I eat Greek. Note, not “Greek style”, which is sloppy like regular yoghurt.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Greek yoghurt FTW. Different beast to the ‘Greek style’ stuff

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

I always thought that Greek and “Greek style” are the same thing 😳

just strained yoghurt?

tiggs121
    Free Member
    DrJ

Notwithstanding my general support for Greece, I can recommend Scandi-style Skyr, available from Sainsbury’s and Tesco, for eating during Borgen and other top TV shows 🙂

scaredypants

Rachel’s ginger Greek-style FTW in this house. My muesli swears by it

DrJ

Rachel’s ginger Greek-style

Bourgeois revisionist (as Ernie would say)

johndoh
    Free Member

I assumed that Greek yogurt had to be made in Greece and ‘Greek style’ was simply the same stuff made outside of the country.

mogrim

I assumed that Greek yogurt had to be made in Greece and ‘Greek style’ was simply the same stuff made outside of the country.

In the same way cheddar is only made in Somerset?

scaredypants

Bourgeois revisionist (as Ernie would say)

[s]yah, dahling[/s] err, Oi comrade !

DrJ

I assumed that Greek yogurt had to be made in Greece

Now it means “made by Slovakians in a factory in Muenchen-Gladbach”.

loddrik
    Free Member

Most supermarkets sell ‘Greek style’ yoghurts. If you want proper Greek yoghurt you gotta buy Fage.

The wife is of Greek heritage and she’s a bit of a stickler for these things.

johndoh
    Free Member

In the same way cheddar is only made in Somerset?

There are certain ‘protected’ foodstuffs that have to me made where the label states (such as Parma Ham and even Pontefract Cakes I believe)

mogrim

There are certain ‘protected’ foodstuffs that have to me made where the label states (such as Parma Ham and even Pontefract Cakes I believe)

Yeah, but cheddar and (AFAIK) greek yoghourt aren’t among them. (And the protected bit also includes the ingredients and the method, not just the location).

johndoh
    Free Member

Fair enough – I just thought that Greek yogurt was one of the protected ones.

mogrim

Fair enough – I just thought that Greek yogurt was one of the protected ones.

I think it’s only because you can’t say it’s “Greek” if it was actually made somewhere else, rather than the legal protection products like champagne or stilton have.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-25954228

Edit: which is what you originally said! (So you were right, just not about the protected bit…)

ourmaninthenorth

Loddrik’s wife is right – Fage stuff is the only Greek yoghurt generally available in the UK that’s worth eating.

OMITN (related to Greek Cypriots)

tomd
    Free Member

That FAGE 0% fat stuff you’ve pictured is absolutely rank. Really bitter and curdled with a clawing after taste. Sort of like like ASDA smartprice cottage cheese that’s been left to go off and whipped into a paste. Their proper stuff is nice though.

DezB
    Free Member

The Lidl one “Eradanous” branded (or something) is lovely n creamy. But yeah it’s Greek Stylee rather than yer actual Greek.

johndoh
    Free Member

“What’s not Greek, but sounds like Greek?”

takisawa2

Can you pour it straight from the pot or does it need bailing out ?

(kertish)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Aldi/Lidl natural/Greek yoghurt.’ is closed to new replies.