Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Aldi Waterproof jacket
  • teef
    Free Member

I’ve just started road riding and have realised my black waterproof jacket ain’t HiVis enough. So I bought an bright yellow Aldi one as it was only £19.99 – has anybody else used one? How waterproof are they and how well do they breath? I’ve haven’t worn it or taken off the labels yet so I can always take it back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

which one is it

If the ones in a bag [ thin almost transparent material]they are showerproof

if the other ones then they are pretty good when used in anger – I dont have the fluro one though and i got mine last year and they vary a little each year

teef
    Free Member

which one is it

It’s quite a substantial jacket – not a thin shower proof.

cookeaa

The boil in the bag hi-vis yellow job?

Mine is about to enter it’s third winter of general commuting and road riding use, pit zips are a good feature and help manage the inevitable condensation, the zips have all held up well and it is waterproof.
    The fit is typical ‘aldi style’ arms and torso slighty on the short but side I am 5’10″/34″ waist/38″ chest, bit of a gut, wearing a medium. tail flap does the job comfortable enough and there’s basically enough coverage…

Zip does all the way up under your neck to help keep any lashing rain out, but this will cook you if you leave it like that all the time, I tend to leave the pit zips fully open to ventilate as well as possible, water doesn’t really get in that way unless it’s getting pretty biblical.

I normally layer up underneath it with Base layers, jerseys, arm warmers as conditions dictate, treat it like a rain/wind proof hardshell without any insulation…

The mesh lining has held up very well the seams under the arms have started to come apart, look to be repairable but this is it’s last winter.

Three years use for £20, nominally ~£7 a year isn’t bad IMO. Just don’t expect it to be on par with a fancier jacket, it isn’t breathable the fit is a little odd it won’t last forever… Saves your nice jacket from daily wear and tear and placates the Hi-vis campaigners…

paddy0091
    Free Member

is it ridiculously oversized like most of the Aldi gear? 😉

cookeaa

is it ridiculously oversized like most of the Aldi gear?

Basically yeah.

I found the large too big and flappy for me, while the medium basically fits but the torso and arms are a bit short, I chose the latter compromise.

They basically do kit for rotund dwarfs or giants, but nothing in between.

lunge

If it’s the one I think it is then it’s not bad at all. The cut was terrible for me so I cut the arms off and now have a waterproof gillet, it still works well though.

edhornby

That’s a good idea lunge ! I have one from last season that protects well but is sweaty like a bin liner

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.