Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Aldi Turbo Trainer on Thursday?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

The advert says it’s fluid but I thought fluid trainers relied on you changing gear/ pedalling harder to adjust the resistance. This one shows a cable and adjuster which looks like the ones you get on magnetic trainers.
    I don’t know much about turbos though. I had a cycleops fluid 2 before and that had no adjustment apart from my gears. I have seen a few fluid/mag ones which seem to combine the two

Anyone know anymore about them?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/fluid-turbo-trainer/p/072257057135900

Also what others are recommended for around the same £70. It will only get used once week ish during the winter and could do with being fairly quiet as I will probably put a film on whilst I’m using it.

Last time I bought a fairly expensive one and didn’t use it enough so I sold it to buy a garmin with mapping which got me out riding more. This time I want cheap so I don’t mind it sitting there for six days a week not doing anything.

marrv
    Free Member

Stuff that. Ride to Aldi instead for beer. That’s my idea of a fluid trainer!

eskay

I thought the same. I have never seen a fluid turbo with adjustable resistance.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’ll go and have a look on Thursday but i’m sceptical. Because it looks like a new model there is no information on the net. I have found some that look very similar and they are all magnetic.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When you zoom right in you can see daylight through the ‘fan’ area.

Maybe its just a stock photo and it really is fluid in reality?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m convincing myself I need a smart trainer now!
    I have a spare 43″ plasma TV that would fit nicely on the wall of the garage for linking up to something like zwift.
    Maybe!!!

cookeaa

I have a cheap one I bought from fleabay ages ago, uses fans for “resistance”, sturdy frame but pretty shite and too noisy to actually use indoors at night without waking everyone else up.

if this aldi one really is a quieter fluid one I could be tempted…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Its definitely a fluid trainer.
    My mate picked one up for me this morning so I havent see in yet other than this picture he sent me. Ill see how I get on with it for now and might try a smart trainer in a few weeks if I like it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LKC6pP]IMG-20160929-WA0003[/url] by andysredmini, on Flickr

binners

If you’re calling in Aldi then pick up some of the waterproof socks. Better than Sealskinz IMHO, and half the price. Just grabbed a couple of pairs and a few other odds and sods

mrblobby
    Free Member

That “big flywheel” looks tiny.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I tried it last night and i’m not impressed. I need to have a proper look tonight but there seems barely any resistance even in my hardest gear pedalling as fast as possible. I think i’m going to take it back and get a better one. Its nothing like the resistance on the cyclops fluid 2 I used to have.

jeff09
    Free Member

Price seemed too good to be true! Picked one up yesterday and did some HIIT to give it a good test. Burnt a considerable groove into the ‘big flywheel’ roller and it gave my tyre a good seeing to…taking it back for a refund today. Don’t bother wasting your time or money! Some other bits are worth picking up though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Turbo Trainer on Thursday?’ is closed to new replies.