• This topic has 102 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by AdamW.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Aldi shopping list
  • Kryton57

Finally our new local Aldi opened. I’ve just been for a quick gander and there seems to be a fair few things that we could save money on, all dependant on a taste test of course. Mrs K is doing a sample shop Wednesday, so it’s steak for dinner, with a bottle of red after the kids bed time.

What’s the “Aldi” beer like?

cheers_drive

We’ve added Aldi Mamia nappies to our shopping list, cost much less than others and no accidents so far. Which I can’t say about Naty eco nappies which leak badly and feel scratchy.
    Resisting the mini stolen bites for a few more weeks……..is the hardest thing about shopping in Aldi.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What’s the “Aldi” beer like?

The selection in my local one is better than the selection in any of the local Sainsburys or Tesco. Lots of good local microbrewery stuff.

lunge

Argentinian Malbec, from their Exquisite range, £7, big, brute of a wine, awesome for the money. And the half dipped chocolate cookies, they’re just filth.

Kryton57

cheers_drive – Member
    …and feel scratchy

…and you know this how…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Round these parts, the usual form is as follows;

Park your Volvo/Audi/Disco/Mercedes/Etc outside Aldi while one parent rushes in to buy nappies, baby wipes and olive oil. Keep the engine running.

Fast getaway to Waitrose for everything else! 🙂

Their nappies, baby wipes and olive oil are really very, very, very good value for money indeed.

Kryton57

The bottles of st etienne lager that are 79p for a 500cl are surprisingly good

Ah, this is what I was looking for.

MoreCashThanDash

We went through loads of their “Brasserie” shandy in the summer when we wanted something light and not too beery.

Ours has a good range of beers – the 12 packs/boxes of IPA/Marstons/ English ales are great value for £14.99.

But the profiteroles! Tried them tonight. A little dessert pot of profiteroles. WITH ONLY THREE IN THE POT! WTF is that all about?

Thank **** you get two pots in apck!

edhornby

the german weisbeer schoffenhofer is very good. the NZ pinot noir is great, like a budget burgundy (also the argie malbec)

Kryton57

Tomorrow nigh I’m making a list based on this actual thread.

cheers_drive

Kryton57 – Member
    cheers_drive – Member
    …and feel scratchy
    …and you know this how…?

As a responsible parent I always test the baby products and TBF the scratchiness wasn’t as big a problem as it’s capacity 😯

langylad
    Free Member

Ours opens on thursday. It’s my day off so i am tempted to queue, first hundred in get a ‘golden envelope’. I.m hoping for nappies if they are that comfy 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I lust after their cheap fibre optic boroscopes.

wilburt
    Free Member

Pole and Line caught Tuna best available.

breadcrumb

Hmmm Aldi chocolate éclairs.

The Chunky oven chips are good too (for oven chips).

Kunstler

I can nip around the corner to either Sainsburys or Tesco on the bike for a sizeable shop with a large rucksack. When I did this at Aldi I took the trailer and it was a struggle getting it all in. For the same spend. The beer selection is a big draw. They still had stock of the River Leven ales although they seem to have all gone now.

bearnecessities

Recent Aldi-experimenatlist here (from an Asda fanboi)

olives – good
    veg – good
    Posh museli – excellent
    Tuna – excellent
    peanuts – good
    Plants – unexpectedly good
    Tinned pulses – excellent, wish they’d do a wider range.

Service – horrific.
    Meat – asda is better
    Crisps – shite
    Mint imperials – worst thing in the world, ever.
    Attractiveness of staff – poor

john_drummer
    Free Member

Toro Loco Tempranillo wine < £4
    Pinot Grigio < £4
    Glen Marnoch single malt £18
    Hobgoblin Gold £1.25
    Hand stretched pizza with Italian meats
    Ice creams & gelato
    Malted bloomer bread
    Moser Roth chocolates

MoreCashThanDash

Based on my experience of the Ilkeston store:

Service – only bettered by M&S and Waitrose
    Meat – red meat a bit underwhelming, chicken is great for the money
    Crisps – the kids seem happy enough with them
    Mint imperials – the kids adore them
    Attractiveness of staff – I leave the store feeling like a dirty old man. Presumably I’d fit right in with their interview panel 😳

john_drummer
    Free Member

Attractiveness of staff is not high on my list of needs in my supermarket.

Good job really 😉

v8ninety

Toro Loco Tempranillo wine

they’ve CHANGED this! The barstewards. Was our favourite reasonable Tempranillo. 🙁

edhornby

sadly, the toro loco isn’t as good as it used to be – it was 100% tempranillo now it’s a blend with bobal

AdamW
    Free Member

Eh? They do three now – reserva, the bobal mix and the normal one. I had a bottle last week.

They’re selling it by the case now:

Toro Loco Tempranillo

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Aldi shopping list’ is closed to new replies.