Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • ALDI Merino base layer jersey, not impressed.
  • russl
    Free Member

I brought one in the cycle event a few months ago, its fine when I’m on the move but when I stop I find it gets cold really quick.
    Are all Merino base layers created equal?
    I thought it was a wonder materiel the way people rave about it, maybe it just doesn’t suit me and I need to try something with man made material.

rossw
    Free Member

Tried a number of merino base layers including smartwool All result in freezing when stopping after working hard.

OK for walking around but for exercise, give me a helly hansen or similar everytime.

tomd
    Free Member

I’ve got the same one…it’s pretty poor to be honest. It’s very thin so not really a winter baselayer. It’s thinner, scratchier and cooler than a 10 year old howies merino I’ve got.

Good merino is nice, but it’s no wonder material it just has pros and cons. I particularly don’t like it for high energy stuff as it holds so much sweat.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not tried the Aldi ones, but didn’t they have quite a low merino content?

I find other merino tops can get chilly if you sweat loads and then stop for too long, I only tend to choose them for particularly cold rides or to wear under a windproof jersey on the road bike at this time of year.

km79
    Free Member

Credit to the merino industry for marketing merino so successfully. It’s a pish material for an active baselayer, holds onto moisture and chills you when you stop and it holes remarkably easily too. Bar my icebreaker merino beanie hat and a merino buff (which has umpteen holes in it and many more stitched up) everything else I’ve had in merino sits at the bottom of a drawer never to be used again.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just learnt the hard way about the limitations of merino as a base layer. After a ride the other day, I got distracted by cake and sat about too long in it. Last night I had to sleep full clothed,hoody and all shaking like a leaf. I’d given myself a horrible chill and I feel utterly rank today.

Not suitable for sweaty bastards like me and never again.

scotroutes

The Emperors new baselayer

km79 – Member
    Credit to the merino industry for marketing merino so successfully. It’s a pish material for an active baselayer, holds onto moisture and chills you when you stop

Exactly this.

Doesn’t dry out overnight so also rubbish when doing multi-day trips, regardless of its reluctance to absorb BO.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Itchy, itchy horrible stuff… except the really fine soft merino Buff

matt_outandabout

I love my Helly warm hybrid merino top.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Mostly agree with the negative comments. I’ve had an Endura baa baa base layer for years which has been ok but the Rapha one I got as a replacement – while lovely to wear round the house – is rubbish at doing what it’s meant to. Clammy and sweaty – give me polyester any day.

Northwind

russl – Member

I brought one in the cycle event a few months ago, its fine when I’m on the move but when I stop I find it gets cold really quick.

That’s what merino does ime, they don’t pull away moisture so you chill down fast. I’ve had posh merino but the cheap thin aldi one I have (may not be the same as yours, it’s last year) is just as good, ie, alright. Good for socks though.

Best thermal I have is a cheapo trespass one made out of recycled binbags or somesuch, it is great. And some random ones my mum got me one christmas that are a merino/poly mix that work really well.

russl
    Free Member

That’s really surprised me! Not just me then!

fergal
    Free Member

classic Helly for the win, merino for active sports just doesn’t work it doesn’t wick.

Have had a few freebies because the misses works in the industry, would never buy it, just wearing casualy it is full of holes.

mechanicaldope

Don’t own any myself but I would agree that the comments on STW (except this thread) do rave about merino usually.

cuyahoga
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then.

I got one but found it to be bobbins when actually out riding; soaks up sweat then holds it there like a claggy wet lapdog, then when you stop for a break it magically transforms into a cold, claggy wet lapdog.

I’ve ordered one of those technical string vests from Brynje…

jameso

The trick with merino is to use a fairly thin layer of it with a wicking layer on top (without a WP / boil in bag jacket also) and be sure that the 2 combined aren’t so warm they make you sweat. Get the combo right and the merino won’t get soaked. It’s also not the right thing for working at your upper level, more of a winter base miles or touring kind of under layer.

If I’m riding in the wet for a long time there’s nothing I’d rather have as a base layer material but it doesn’t dry very quickly so that needs taking into account.

xico
    Free Member

Ever seen sheep out on the hills in the middle of an ice cold winter’s day grazing happily, while you cycle past wearing every item outdoor clothing technology has yet invented and have you ever wondered about it?

tomd
    Free Member

So if we only saturated our merino base layers with lanolin we’d be ok?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Ever seen sheep out on the hills in the middle of an ice cold winter’s day grazing happily, while you cycle past wearing every item outdoor clothing technology has yet invented and have you ever wondered about it?

I have seen sheep out grazing* whilst I have been out riding but I have never really wondered about it 😐 Ive just unthinkingly accepted it 😉

*Happily

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it gets cold really quick.
    Are all Merino base layers created equal?
    I thought it was a wonder materiel the way people rave about it, maybe it just doesn’t suit me and I need to try something with man made material.

It’s just not as good as some people make out.

I agree with JamesO, it’s great for being outdoors (warmer than a T-shirt), and fine as a baselayer when commuting or on a clubrun, but it’s not some sort of magic when it’s wet or sweaty.

For everything people rave about merino, but actually works, get a top made form polypropylene. It’s the same plastic that fleece is made from, and sheds water fast enough that it’s worn under a wetsuit for winter sailing! The downside is, it stinks if not washed, hence the ‘smelly helly’ baselayer (although they’re nowhere near as bad as they used to be). The other downside, is compared to lycra, it’s not quite as stretchy, so trying them on and fit is important.

What about pigs, should we all go out naked because pigs seem to survive?

xico
    Free Member

So if we only saturated our merino base layers with lanolin we’d be ok?

Well, tomd, that’s an interesting idea. Lanolin provides the waterproof element for the sheep’s wool coat and textile processing washes it all out (and recovers it for use in cosmetics etc). It smells pretty bad in its raw state, though,!

Klunk
    Free Member

I always find them poor when it gets warmer, I try to moderate my “output” when it’s cold so I don’t get too sweaty (which can cause issues with made fibres as well as merino). My prefered base layer at the mo is aldi bamboo soft and warm. On one merino thickee socks are fabulous btw.

allan23
    Free Member

Best one I’ve had is a Helly Hansen dual layer thing, supposed to be their Lifa material next to the skin and a merino outer layer.

No idea if that’s reallly how it is made, but it’s toasty except for a really long stop and it’s now three years old and wearing well.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ALDI Merino base layer jersey, not impressed.’ is closed to new replies.