Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Aldi Grout Removal Tool
  • granny_ring

Are these worth a tenner?

oooh click me

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

How much grout do you need to remove? I tile for a living and I try very hard not to remove any.

If you’ve got a rake out and regrout job in mind it might be worth it, but otherwise I can’t see value in it, even at £10

unovolo
    Free Member

Screwfix sell something similar which gets ok reviews, I have just regrouted my shower enclosure and used a manual handheld grout rake from screwfix which did a sterling job.

I have used dremell in the past with attachment and also a powered multitool and to be honest I felt the handheld grout rake was best, more control and less chance of cutting into a tile and only a replaceable blade to wear out.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pro-grout-rake-cutter/17903

I can also recommend the Mapei Grout for regrouting, leaves a really nice finish once dry.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When I re-grouted our shower I firstly tried a hand grout removal tool. Utterly useless, barely touched the surface. Then I tried a Dremel attachment thing, so similar to the Aldi tool. Slightly less useless than the hand tool. I then rented a proper grout removal tool from the hire shop for about £12, basically a reciprocating curved blade. Tore through the grout like a hot knife through butter, I had the whole shower de-grouted in about 30 minutes.

granny_ring

Need to re-grout bathroom, joy of joys….
    Used a raking tool last time when I did a small area over the bath so was hoping this gadget would be quicker.

I’ll look into that also wobbli cheers.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

For a tenner it’s got to be worth a try, if it’s no good take it back, they usually have a 3 year guarantee on their tools and don’t quibble if you do take it back.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It was something like this I used. There were a number of saws that came with it from metal ones with sharp teeth to grinding style ones with no teeth but an abrasive edge. Not sure what grout was used in my shower, it was very hard which is why the hand tool and the dremmel tool didn’t touch it. But this thing did the trick:-

http://www.hss.com/hire/p/tile-grout-remover-trim-saw

granny_ring

Cheers

BigJohn

I bought one from B&Q on a whim a couple of years back as I get asked to re-do bathrooms and kitchens now and then. I haven’t even opened the box yet to see what it does.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Grout Removal Tool’ is closed to new replies.