• This topic has 43 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Aldi Espresso Maker
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Looks ok at first glance – available on Thursday. Any comments

jimjam
    Free Member

Linky?

jimjam
    Free Member

Three year warranty beats the 1 year on my delonghi (and I’m very happy with it). At that price how could you go wrong.

bone_idle
    Free Member

Having learnt the hard way i would say the Nepresso is a better buy at similar price and you don’t need a grinder for really good results.

dannybgoode

^this. Nespresso is quick easy tasty and repeatable.

iamanobody
    Free Member

but also uses plastic pods (David Attenborough says plastic is evil) that are costly and bulky and not reuasble

zilog6128

third-party pods are plastic. Actual Nespresso pods are made of very thin aluminium, which they will collect from you for free and (apparently) recycle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So what am I doing wrong with the office nesspresso.

I can’t get it to give me a cup of hot coffee… Only seems to give out tepid Luke warm pish.

zilog6128

run it without a pod in first to warm the cup? (Is it one of the “industrial” ones that take the larger, disc like pods? cos they are pants. The regular home ones are much better)

edhornby

do you drink espresso ? if you put milk in coffee (which is perfectly ok to do !!) then you could stick with a stovetop, which is no messier but less faff and less space

tomnavman
    Free Member

third-party pods are plastic. Actual Nespresso pods are made of very thin aluminium, which they will collect from you for free and (apparently) recycle.

But are still single use, and still require processing to manufacture / “recycle”

Pod machines are the work of the devil and should have been banned before they went on sale

matt_outandabout

Pod machines are the work of the devil and should have been banned before they went on sale

+1

We need to bring in much stricter rules about the point of sale vendor also having to recycle all goods and packaging. Supermarkets and more would soon get the idea when we all return piles of plastic and sh*te to them.

poolman
    Free Member

I got a bartolli stove top from aldi or lidl last week for 15e. Had all the colours too, i think its the 3 cupper. That machine above looks ok but i m a stove top fan

grenosteve
    Free Member

Having become addicted to the delonghi coffee machine at work, I’ve given this a go. Will report back on how I find it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

mattoutandabout, that seems an excellent idea

thenorthwind

Just what is an

Espresso brewing function

?

Shirley that’s a contradiction in terms.

And what’s a “crema system”? You mean a filter?

I’m most excited about

Power on/off control

though. I had the early model with no on switch and it was rubbish!

somafunk

Crema function relates to a pressurised basket, a “noob” introduction to getting a decent espresso as the crema is not dependant of tamp pressure.

whiterabbit84
    Free Member

Just ordered the Aldi one – fingers crossed

iamanobody
    Free Member

think i will take the plunge 🙂 pardon the pun!!!

iamanobody
    Free Member

Turns out it’s really rather good ??

andyl
    Free Member

+10000000

It beggars belief that humans have found yet another way to package something up that didn’t need packaging as there was a perfectly fine alternative already in existence.

Had a couple of people in work mention capsule machines lately who thought I was being a snob with my bean to cup machine until I pointed out just how much cheaper it is to run.

Machine cost £280 and is at least 3 years old now, I buy 1kg bags of beans for £8 which last my nephew and I about 6-8 weeks so if the machine only lasts 3 years then that is 12p per coffee.

A pod machine is about £100 and the pods are about 30-50p each.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As I posted on other thread.

Delonghi esam 4200 on Amazon is 199 atm.

That’s a bargain for a bean to cup that consistently gets reviewed as a good machine.

Has same internals as my esam 22.110 and it’s good.

redmex
    Free Member

De longhi i have a bean to cup lying in the cupboard i just didnt get on with it and too much faffing about whereas either my wee gaggia classic or rancilio are miles better and half the plastic think of the planet
    Id like to compare the aldi one with the rancilo just to see if it really is much better

trail_rat
    Free Member

Faffing ? Beans in + coffee out

No faff with grinding tamping putting back the basket and hoping you got the tamp right and cleaning up the spilt ground

Repeatably nice coffee…. Even if my mother is operating it.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Right i *think* i need a new tamper as the supplied one is plastic – 55mm i think

recomendations

onewheelgood

Isomac

Bit spendy these days though – sure I didn’t pay anything like that for mine

lovewookie

We bought a LIDL silvercrest espresso maker with the milk frother a couple of years ago for about £70 in the hope that it would be better than the Tassimo.
    It was so much better, however doesn’t cope with fine ground coffee, struggles to push through it if you tamp it properly, so you have to do a light tamp.

the built in milk frother did it for me. just fill up, press a button and you get a decent sized coffee, rather than tassimo sized coffee which I can only assume has been designed for when we all adopt ‘downsizing’

stumpy01

All the people bemoaning pod machines from a waste/environmental point of view; are you aware that the Nespresso capsules can be recycled & Nespresso will send out an envelope with freepost on it, so users can recycle their pods simply?

They even recycle the coffee grounds to make soil improver…..

Here’s some info:

Nespresso Recycling info…

More Nespresso Recycling info…

cp

All the people bemoaning pod machines from a waste/environmental point of view; are you aware that the Nespresso capsules can be recycled & Nespresso will send out an envelope with freepost on it, so users can recycle their pods simply?

So more waste to recycle (envelope which must be pretty substantial) and further Energy/CO2/particulates cost of moving around empty pods in an envelope. Hmmm.

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. In that order…..

redmex
    Free Member

Iamanobody I have a Motta but its a 58mm diameter so too big maybe much better that the plasticy thing supplied £10 + post
    Be like a pro bearded artisan barista or use it like me as a paperweight for invoices between coffees
    The de lungi machines too many red lights for my liking

thenorthwind

So more waste to recycle (envelope which must be pretty substantial) and further Energy/CO2/particulates cost of moving around empty pods in an envelope. Hmmm.

+1

A housemate of mine a few years ago had a Nespresso machine. One of options was they’d get a courier to collect the used pods. So you’re going to get someone to drive to my house in a diesel van (presumably) to collect a few hundred grams of aluminium foil and a couple of kilos of coffee grounds? And that’s meant to be good for the environment?

I also distinctly remember the literature explaining that aluminium was a good material for the pods from an environmental point of view because it’s an element and so is “natural.” Ignoring the fact that it’s probably an alloy, and that pure aluminium doesn’t occur naturally, by the same argument, uranium and plutonium, for instance are also good for the environment as they’re elements 👿 🙄

iamanobody
    Free Member

Will measure but i think it’s 55mm

newrobdob
    Free Member

are you aware that the Nespresso capsules can be recycled & Nespresso will send out an envelope with freepost on it, so users can recycle their pods simply?

Crappy excuse for dumbass middle class faux convenience. If you know anything about how waste should be reduced you’d know the first rule is not to make it in the first place.

Nespresso, tastes like crap and very expensive to use. Proves consumers will buy 650b anything.

trout
    Free Member

back on topic
    so some of you will have been to aldi and bought one of these
    please tell me they make a good coffee as I suspect I have one coming from santa

kbomb
    Free Member

I got one yesterday, and am impressed. Warmed up very quickly, and makes a good coffee with an impressive crema. Slightly plastic-y in places, obviously it doesn’t have the heft or engineering of more expensive machines, but it makes good coffee, has a 3 year warranty and doesn’t look cheap sat on the worktop. Well worth the punt.

trout
    Free Member

Thanks Kbomb
    hopes the mystery box in the wife’s car is one
    can it replace the aeropress ?

slowster
    Free Member

If you know anything about how waste should be reduced you’d know the first rule is not to make it in the first place.

But it is not so simple as ‘Nespresso is bad’, because there are environmental downsides to other choices, and it does not automatically follow that because Nespresso uses an aluminium pod for every drink that it is the worst from an environmental perspective.

For infrequent consumption, I suspect Nespresso might have less environmental cost than some other options (especially if a bag of coffee is only partly consumed and then thrown away when/before it gets stale).

Do those posters who condemn Nespresso ever get drinks in takeaway cups? My understanding is that only a tiny percentage are recycled, because only one recycling facility in the UK can recycle the plastic coated paper from which the cups are made, and it is clearly wasteful of resources to make a single use throwaway cup.

Furthermore, how long will those Aldi machines last, given their environmental footprint? I suspect that something made to such a low price point will have a poor environmental performance if it proves to have a lifespan of just the 3 year warranty (or less). Moreover, how many people will decide that they don’t like the coffee it makes or struggle to get it to deliver satisfactory results, and throw it away or stick it in a cupboard. Even the bags which coffee beans are sold in are an environmental cost compared with the large buckets which I have seen used to supply beans to some coffee shops.

I guess in an ideal world we would all have local coffee shops nearby serving good coffee at a reasonable price in good old fashioned ceramic cups.

Klunk
    Free Member

Furthermore, how long will those Aldi nespresso machines last, given their environmental footprint? I suspect that something made to such a low price point will have a poor environmental performance if it proves to have a lifespan of just the 3 year warranty (or less). Moreover, how many people will decide that they don’t like the coffee it makes or struggle to get it to deliver satisfactory results, and throw it away or stick it in a cupboard.

FIFY

slowster
    Free Member

Furthermore, how long will those Aldi nespresso machines last…

FIFY [/quote]

I suspect that many – possibly most – Nespresso machines may be better designed/engineered and longer lasting than the Aldi machine, because of the success of the format and the investment by Nestle and the machine manufacturers (which are typically household names like Magimix), If the machines were prone to failure and/or had short lifespans, it would not go unnoticed and the bad publicity would damage Nespresso sales and the brand reputation of those companies.

Moreover, the way Nespresso makes coffee probably makes it easier and cheaper to make the machine compared with a proper espresso machine. It also delivers consistant reliable results: not great espresso, but acceptable in the absence of alternatives. In contrast espresso machines can be much more dfficult to get good or even decent results from: there are so many variables, including not only the performance of the machine, but also the quality of the beans, the grind, and the skill of the user.

I would be willing to bet that lot of people who think they are producing good espresso using their machines at home, are actually producing mediocre coffee at best, and often very bad coffee. They either don’t know what good espresso tastes like, or are drinking cappuccini where the milk covers up the taste of a bad espresso.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Espresso Maker’ is closed to new replies.