Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Aldi cycling gear 21/05
  • Garry_Lager

Just pieces of polyester mate.

Look here for real cycling kit:

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/category/categories

jekkyl

Aldi produce cycle attire for the many, not the few.

rOcKeTdOg

Lidl do the best croissants though

fisha
    Free Member

Agreed. Lidl’s bakery is far better than rapha’s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hi was passed by a bloke in an aldi top, he was a dick, sums up the brand really. Bet they were not riding 100 miles in the rain 100 years ago like the rest of us.

jekkyl

rapha cycling mitts £60 …. 60 quid!!!
    aldi cycling mitts three ninety nine! lol

what is it about rapha cycling mitts that make them 56 pounds and a penny better? let’s look at the evidence…
    Aldi gloves:
    High flexibility
    Print for improved grip
    Mesh air vents for breathability
    Comfortable grip through padding on the inner sides
    Fingerless models in sporty design, and a terry thumb
    Functionality and sporty look perfectly united
    Leather imitation on the palm
    Reflective piping for higher safety at street traffic
    Practical pull off system on ring and middle fingers
    Easy closure for comfortable cuff
    Gel padded palm for comfort
    Unisex

Rapha gloves:
    Robust and stylish cycling mitts
    These classically styled mitts feature targeted padding to protect your hands and provide comfort during rides and races. The palm and trim is made using leather tanned in the UK in Somerset, using Ethiopian hair sheep hide chosen for its thin yet remarkably strong properties. The glove backs are are made using a synthetic-blend yarn that dries faster and holds less water than cotton and is crocheted by hand.

Ethiopian hair sheep hide LOL 😆 wtf is this a joke.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what is it about rapha cycling mitts that make them 56 pounds and a penny better? let’s look at the evidence…

By the look of the pics the Aldi ones look like they are for people with square hands.
    Gloves, socks and shoes are something I’m happy to pay for along with good shorts. Nice contact points make for a comfortable ride. And Ethiopian sheep hide is so nice when your having some me time 😉

letmetalktomark

And Ethiopian sheep hide is so nice when your having some me time 😉

Coffee on iPad moment there 😳

greencat
    Free Member

You have to experiment with Aldi’s gear. Some of it’s not worth the amount they charge, some is very good.

I don’t rate their wet weather wear at all. In fact, I’d regard it as borderline dangerous. My missus nearly got hypothermia wearing it while on a camping and biking trip as it offered no protection from wind or anything beyond a light shower. The gloves don’t last long either.

Their running jackets have been mixed. Not waterproof at all, but OK breathability and wind wise. But I’d rather pay 2-3x the price and get OMM in a sale.

But I’ve had good success with the winter cycling bottoms and some of their fitted tops. Nowadays, I wait until it is massively reduced before taking a look. I picked up five pieces of the winter bottoms for £2 each, and a fitted top for a quid. I’ve also had some good usb rechargeable lights from them too.

DickBarton

Ethiopian sheep hide is so nice when your having some me time

Ewe time, surely?

Overpriced kit…but people are happy to pay it. Likewise cheap kit with plenty willing to buy it.

samunkim
    Free Member

You have to experiment with Aldi’s gear

2nd that.. Bought a top last year, which had cotton stitching which didn’t stretch, and only lasted a few rides..

But their full finger gloves are still going strong after a year

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You have to experiment with Aldi’s gear

I can’t disagree more, I feel we must make sweeping generalisations based on the clothing that people are wearing about their performance and lifestyles. It’s just the STW way.

PMK2060

I have bought a few bits of cycling gear from Aldi over the years. The only thing I would buy again is the winter gloves which are great. I have found the rest a strange fit.

akira

I’d highly reccomend their cycling socks, nice bit of padding and very comfy.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I got a great soft shell from aldi. Cost £19.99 I think but much better jam my other mid-range branded stuff. Their lights are just as good as there far more expensive ones threy’ve copied and heir tools are perfectly adequate for occasional use hat a typical recreational cyclist demands, their bike stand is not perfect but plenty good enough.

I can’t put too much value on clothing. Things like gloves don’t last particularly long after a year or so’s washing machine cycles so happy to buy cheap and buy often on stuff like that.

dannyh
    Free Member

greencat – Member
    You have to experiment with Aldi’s gear. Some of it’s not worth the amount they charge, some is very good.

I don’t rate their wet weather wear at all. In fact, I’d regard it as borderline dangerous. My missus nearly got hypothermia wearing it while on a camping and biking trip as it offered no protection from wind or anything beyond a light shower. The gloves don’t last long either.

Their running jackets have been mixed. Not waterproof at all, but OK breathability and wind wise. But I’d rather pay 2-3x the price and get OMM in a sale.

But I’ve had good success with the winter cycling bottoms and some of their fitted tops. Nowadays, I wait until it is massively reduced before taking a look. I picked up five pieces of the winter bottoms for £2 each, and a fitted top for a quid. I’ve also had some good usb rechargeable lights from them too.

That’s much too much like common sense, pitchforks at the ready………

Some of the Aldi gear I have had has been great.

The riding hoody they did a couple of times ago has been excellent. I get on really well with their padded undershorts and the bamboo fibre baselayers.

The baggy shorts I have had have been adequate. As have the gloves. Not excellent, but good for the price.

I had a stupid idea once that I would get some of their SPD shoes for dry summer rides to take the pressure off my shimano shoes. Bad decision, as the whole cleat platform pulled straight out through the sole of the shoe about 20 minutes into their first outing.

It’s cheap. Some of it is nasty, some of it is outstanding value.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s cheap. Some of it is nasty, some of it is outstanding value.

Or they pick up whatever is cheap somewhere and flog it on, a look inside one of their warehouses is interesting but like del boy and rodders have been shopping.
    The pool tables that wouldn’t fit through some of the goods lift doors in a few stores was a good one.
    Don’t expect consistency.

nealglover
    Free Member

The pool tables that wouldn’t fit through some of the goods lift doors in a few stores

What sort of shop designer makes a goods entrance with a door less than 3 foot high 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They didn’t fit a standard pallet size some of the metro stores were a little tight. In another corner was about 50 miles of kitchen roll.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of their track pumps. Its cheap and nasty. A Topeak Joe Blow is only a tenner more on Wiggle so I’ll be taking it back.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or they pick up whatever is cheap somewhere and flog it on, a look inside one of their warehouses is interesting but like del boy and rodders have been shopping

You just described Planet X.

As above, mixed results. I have a long sleeve Jersey which is used regularly on the commute, other stuff has gone straight back (and they have a decent return policy).

lunge

I wasn’t impressed this year. The socks are OK, albeit a little short for my tastes, there was a jersey that looked OK to be used as a bog standard technical t-shirt but the fit is odd as ever. Bar that, not much this year sadly.

MoreCashThanDash

I find Aldi tops,gloves and socks a decent fit and good value for money. Great for the kids as they’ve grown. Shorts and legs, I’m totally the wrong shape for Aldi.

Rapha stuff is also a good fit for me, lots of nice features but only justifiable in sales or ebay.

I’m now a brand ambassador for someone else who is much more my style than either of them….. 😉

mechanicaldope

MoreCashThanDash – Member

I’m now a brand ambassador for someone else who is much more my style than either of them…..

Primark?

akira

@lunge they do longer socks sometimes as well. The ankle ones I’m not so keen on.

mechanicaldope

Lolz @ mctd

AlexSimon

At least Rapha do a size small!
    All I can see at Aldi is M/L/XL

miketually
    Free Member

Anyone got one of the current set of lights?

superstu
    Free Member

Waterproof socks and shorts i have bought I was very impressed with. Tops I am wrong shape for but seem ok for the money.

I got some fingerless gloves for £4 and they’re much better than more expensive ones I have bought

greencat
    Free Member

Anyone got one of the current set of lights?

I’ve got these:
    https://youtu.be/hRT9WZ74oFo
    and they worked well all last winter. I think I got them for around 4 quid each!

edhornby

It’s very variable, even the current set of mitts in store at the moment have two types, one of which were really quite good and the other ones were terrible. The socks are usually spot on but the tops are awful, odd sizes/cut and some very cheap thin material. However I got a kids helmet for my 7yo and it’s spot on , could easily pass for a pricy brand one from evans.

For bike commuters who get through kit from the daily wear/wash routine it’s spot on

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Aldi cycling gear 21/05’ is closed to new replies.