Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Aldi Cree Bike Lights – Any good?
  • andrewreay

Have been looking for a front light for the road bike, round about the forty quid mark.

Saw the Aldi ones in store yesterday and was tempted.

Any views / experience of these Aldi cree light 1200 Lumen?

Alternatively, any recommendations for something similar?

Need them for night rides in dark lanes. Ideally 2+ hours battery life. Decent bracket also key.

Thanks.

RustySpanner

Just charged ours last night, bloody bright on the garden test.

Quality seems fine.
    I’ll be keeping them angled way, way down on the road, but you’ll be seen for miles.

Not tried the bands yet, can’t be any worse then the crappy plastic bracket the old ones came with.

I can see me losing them almost immediately though.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Probably won’t burst into flames at least.

Had chinese lights before, have been okay, however the connectors may be fragile.

I would go for a whole unit like the Hope r2i, much easier to take on and off,I swapped over from R4 for this reason as I was commuting.

Price? you will spend more on these and replacing them over the life time of hope or exposure, who will fix them up if they go wrong.

devash
    Free Member

3 year warranty sounds good. I’d be a bit wary of the battery packs and chargers with these cheap lights though.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Looks similar to my C&B seen light which has been grand for the price.

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-green-1200-bike-light-kit.html

Cheers, Steve

andrewreay

Thanks all.

I think I’ll give the Aldi one a go. There’s a 3 year warranty, so not much to lose.

Probably won’t leave it charging overnight though…

MoreCashThanDash

Picked one up for Jnr and to act as a spare.

Bright as ****, and for road use you’ll have to keep it pointed down to avoid blinding oncoming drivers.

If you are going to be using it just for road use, might be worth doubling your budget and get a B&M light from Rosebikes.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not really suitable for road use even on low. If you point it up its dazzling and if you point it down enough to not dazzle then it won’t project very far. Off road only (where it’ll be great for the money). I suppose you could fit a proper road light as well then turn this off every time a car approaches or overtakes a bit light a high beam but I can’t see that working especially well.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi just to let you know that these lights are now half price on the aldi web site with free delivery

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday, looks decent enough. Charged fine no heat in charger or battery . Only tested in garden so far. looks pretty bright.
    Lamp unit feels heavier than the solar storm unit i have been using for the last few years so will probably use this on the bars and keep the soalr storm on my helmet.
    Will try to get a few pics up and beam shot when used properly.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Everyone at the ready to sprint to Aldi, setting Strava segment PBs in the next ~10mins or so, to be there at 0800 opening time? 😆

pocpoc
    Free Member

NorthCountryBoy
    Hi just to let you know that these lights are now half price on the aldi web site with free delivery

Do you have a direct link to the product page?
    No amount of my searching can find them! Just getting all todays lights instead.

kimbers

Mine arrived yesterday

Hopefully out for a ride tonight, I’ll try and take some pics

jeffl

I think they’ve all been sold as they were surplus stock from April or such like. I bought one and it arrived a couple of days ago. Seems ok.

mrbotticelli

I got one for £20 earlier this week, turned up yesterday.

Quick garden test against Solarstorm X2 shows the Aldi Bikemate to have more of a spot pattern which is slightly brighter, with more throw than the Solarstorm.

Was hoping for a better beam pattern.

Think the Bikemate will make a good helmet light but I prefer a self contained light on my helmet. Will give it a try on a ride and see how it goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aldi Cree Bike Lights – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.