Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Aldi 12w Cree, rechargeable torch- anyone tried?
  • jkomo

£20, so more than the usual eBay jobs, but less flamey I imagine.
    No real need for one, but still tempted, but can’t find any reviews.

CountZero

Looks ok, but it’s got a ‘zoom’ function, which I really dislike*, it’s completely pointless on a torch in my opinion.
    You’re much better off getting a flashlight with a good beam pattern, a bright, clean centre spot which blends into a good outer spread.
    Still, it’s putting out 720 lumens, and having a plug-in recharging function has lots of advantages. If they did one without the zoom I’d be all over it, ideal for keeping in the car.
    *When you get to the extreme end of the zoom, the wide-angle end I think, you get a bright white square, which is the emitter, rather than a nice smooth centre spot.

Flaperon

I have one. It’s OK – more suitable for hitting intruders over the head than lighting them up. For £20 you can get a far brighter one from Amazon, but it’s smaller with less battery life.

jkomo

Okay thanks, I liked the idea of not having to source non explosive charger and batteries. I will save my twenty quid.

peoples
    Free Member

They had them on offer for £15 so picked one up. Nice torch, feels well made and works well with my GoPro. However they are not 12w. Even with a fully charged battery they only consume 8.4w dropping to about 4.8w at 3.7v, so unless they are more than 100% efficient then the best you will get is around 5-8w dependent on battery state.

CountZero

Okay thanks, I liked the idea of not having to source non explosive charger and batteries. I will save my twenty quid.

Which ones are those, then?
    So long as it doesn’t have ‘Galaxy Note 7’ printed on it, you should be fine…

jkomo

I thought the direct from china rechargeables went off like indoor fireworks.
    There was all manner of advice on here about charging in a sauce pan, or buying proper uk charger and batteries from Torchy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Aldi 12w Cree, rechargeable torch- anyone tried?’ is closed to new replies.