Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Alcudia – Majorca. Your experiences?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

Thinking of taking the family there this summer. Just after a nice sunny beach holiday with plenty to keep the 2 of us and our 5 year old entertained.

Any experiences to share?

ton

went 15 or so years ago, was ok. porta pollensa nextdoor is nicer.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

do you like Blackpool?

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

Some nice beaches and good restaurants from what I can remember.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Met my wife in Blackpool 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

Blackpool

Alcudia

takisawa2

Been a couple of times. Perfect kids beach really. Loved the place. Bus ride to old Alcudia Town for the market is good, Caves of Drac ok for a few hours as a trip.

Honest opinion though… Thomson All-Inclusive to Turkey. Had a brilliant time last summer. Spent a whopping £85 in a week. Majorca is nice, but Turkey gets my vote. Just ace. Locals just love kids, my two can’t wait to go back.

djglover
    Free Member

The other side of the bay is nice, Alcudia is a bit high rise, fried breakfast type of a place, I went as a youngster and didn’t enjoy it but went to porta pollenca a few years ago and that was nice

ton

agree with talisawa, turkey is awesome
    lykia world at olu deniz is fantastic.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been to Port de Pollensa (Perto Pollensa) a handful of times and it does seem nicer.

Depends on where you go. Bits of Alcudia are nice but other bits are built up tourist traps. We always hire a car which is well worth it to get out and about. No idea on accommodation, I guess Alcudia is cheaper. We know someone who has an apartment so we’ve never looked at the costs elsewhere.

There should be plenty to do. We were there with family one year and the niece seemed content enough. Family friendly place.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been to Port de Pollensa (Perto Pollensa) a handful of times and it does seem nicer.

Depends on where you go. Bits of Alcudia are nice but other bits are built up tourist traps. We always hire a car which is well worth it to get out and about. No idea on accommodation, I guess Alcudia is cheaper. We know someone who has an apartment so we’ve never looked at the costs elsewhere.

There should be plenty to do. We were there with family one year and the niece seemed content enough. Family friendly place.

mudpup
    Free Member

Went to Playa de Mura(???) last year. Its about 3 miles outside Alcudia on the coast and really nice. You couldnt pay me to stay in Alcudia though.

Stayed at Alcudia Pins hotel and everything was brilliant apart from crowds round the pool. Easy solution was to walk 20yds outside the back of the hotel onto the beach and job done.

Alcudia is a 10 minute bus ride away if you want to head in for the evening – we had good entertainment (and more importantly a floodlit football pitch for jnr age 8) so stayed around the hotel most nights.

Puerto Pollensa is good – been there twice.
    Also liked Cala Bona in Majorca.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Good feedback thanks

imnotamused
    Free Member

Also spent a year living in Blackpool when at uni and have many fond memories of caravanning there when I was little. Have a very soft spot for the place even tho it’s full of chavs 🙂

sniff
    Free Member

Playa de Muro avoids the Alcudia not so nice stuff. Beach about 10 min walk – but the hotel does a free mini bus but tbh the walk isn’t a pain.

Been here 4 times – can’t recommend it enough….perfect for the wee one…..First Choice used to be the only operator but you can sometimes book direct/easyjet/car hire for less…..

http://eixhotels.com/en/lagotel/descripcion-lagotel.html

LardLover
    Free Member

Puerto Pollensa

Puerto Pollensa

Puerto Pollensa

Oh, and get a pass off the wife, hire a road bike from Pro Cycle Hire in PP and have a ride out on one of their shop rides or ride to the light house at Cap Formentor, have an expresso whilst there then a ride back. Nice.

corroded
    Free Member

I agree with the above, Puerto Pollensa is ‘nicer’. Big advantage for me is that it is also closer to more interesting bits of Mallorca – the Tramuntana towns and villages. Definitely rent a road bike: the riding is superb around the mountains.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Wow lardlover you know how to sell a location!

LardLover
    Free Member

I’ve been hooked with the place since I was 13 (29 years ago 😳 ).

Hired my first bike there 2yrs ago (a 40th treat). Did self guided and shop rides. I love the place. I’d be there again this year but the wife decided on Florida. Perhaps that’s why I’m there on a lads cycling trip next month.

Come on!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Depends what you want from a holiday resort.. Hotel we stayed in there was nice, if a bit busy, sunny, hot and with a decent pool. About 10 mins walk from the Dollar Strip area which was a decent distance as it’s a bit of a dump. There’s a water park in Alcudia too which keeps the kids happy for a day.

Alcudia is a really good base though for exploring. Alcudia old town is lovely, the harbour area (not the port) and little beach at the end of Dollar Strip is nice too. Really close to the mountains, so we got a car for a few days went out to Cap d’Formentor, then parked up for the rest of the day at the lovely beach (near the really swanky hotel). The next day we went and had a look around Lluc monastery, picnic at a lake up in the mountains then down to Sa Calobra and a walk along the gorge (torrent parreis or something like that). Also only an hour from Palma which is a really nice city to have a wander round.

Agree with the others saying Puerto Pollensa is nicer though.

It’s no wonder Majorca is the most popular holiday destination for Brits, it’s a fantastic place and has a bit of everything.

imnotamused
    Free Member

By the way, I hate Turkey with a passion although they do love kids I’ll give you that. Can’t stand the hassle and get cabin fever when cooped up in an all inclusive resort. Cycling and espresso on the other hand…

Scapegoat

Porto Pollenca by a mile.

geoffj

Alcudia -1
    Puerto Pollensa +1

imnotamused
    Free Member

Looking at puerto pollenca now 😀

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Went to Alcudia in Sept and dont really get what all the fuss is about, yes the beaches were nice and great for the kids but it was no different to any other resort I’ve been to, just on a bigger scale.

One compaint I had was I’ve never been to anywhere else that had so much dog sh*t on the pavements, all I heard every time we went for a walk was my 3 year old saying “poo, poo, poo” every 50 yards,… I wont be rushing back.

Mackem

Another vote for Puerto Pollensa. Spent a month there riding bikes. The mtbing was dismal but the road riding was great.

Edric64
    Free Member

Puerto Pollensa is nice the beach is good there are a few nice walks behind the town to the other coast .By bike the road to Cap de Formentor is a really nice ride .There are far less of the Sports Direct sort than Alcudia .Buses are regular and cheap and there is good bike hire in the town
    http://www.puertopollensa.com/

peasant
    Free Member

+1 Puerto Pollensa

steve-g
    Free Member

Dont stay in Alcudia, it is a bit too “English” and the beach is not great, as has been mentioned above Playa de Muro is perfect, close enough to head into the town, the beach is quieter and nicer, and thr extra Euro or so on the price of a beer means nicer clientele

BermBandit
    Free Member

Horses for courses obviously, but frankly I wouldn’t piss on Alcudia if I’d had a skinful and it was the last urinal in the world ……. as with all things there are nice bits, but in the main its English boozers, Full english 24 hour breakfast, red faces, fat bellys and the Sun newspaper

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Alcudia – Majorca. Your experiences?’ is closed to new replies.