Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • alcohol… hangovers and headaches
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s reached a sad day. I’m 36 and its got to the point I can no longer drink without getting a 2 day headache. I love alcohol too. I don’t even have to drink much.. sometimes 1 pint will result in a really bad headache and neck ache.. almost like I have huge tension in my upper neck and a headache from my temples across the front of my head. I also feel like I’ve had about 2hrs sleep if I drink. I’ve never been a big drinker.. just a 1 or 2 beers a day habit.. but I guess its my bodies way of telling me its time to stop. not had a drink for 2 weeks now and feel better for it but sadly feel like its no longer worth it. Goodbye booze its been fun.

druidh
    Free Member

Give up the beer and try something else (cider?). I developed an allergy to beer which results in a 60-hour migraine.

maccruiskeen

Save up all the money you would have spent on the beer ( 2 cans a night is about £700/year) and go on a massive heroin bender.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Last 2 day headache was from a bottle of Dunkertons organic cider. Some lagers are worse than others.. carsberg export seems the absolute worst.. heineken probably the least likely to give me a headache. Normally ok from a glass of red. But its just not quite the same as throwing back a few cold ones after a hard days surfing or riding.

hugor
    Free Member

Its probably one of the preservatives. Experiment with different beers.

druidh
    Free Member

In my case it seems to be a by-product of the malting process. Wheat beers are less problematic.

john_drummer
    Free Member

try ales instead of fizzy chemical juice lager

zimbo
    Free Member

I generally suffer less from German(etc.) beers brewed under the old Reinheitsgebot or whatever it’s called, which ensures purity and no chemicals. The worst offender for me is Carling. Pure chemical p*ss.

singletrackmind

Its probably one of the preservatives. Experiment with different beers.

Umm , probably not as SO2 sulphur dioxide is the only preservative allowed in beer .

The level is fairly low , and it might be a beer with a high level causes the hangover .

Try a real ale ? Or as Zimbo says a Reinsheitgebot German beer .

Are you drinking alcohol to ‘hydrate’ after surfing? That cannot possibly work . Chances are you are de – hydrated already and using alcohol ( poison) is not going to help . So your body nicks fluid form any area , around the brain usually , to flush the alcohol ( poison ) out of the system .

So your brain is not suspended in a fluid but banging into your skull , hence the headache .

Try drinking 2:1 water : alcohol , or neck 2ltr of High5 Zero before cracking open a cold one , then another later on.

NB .- All of the above might not be entirely true , but as a brewer and a windsurfer i have some experience in the area .

matt_bl
    Free Member

Carlsberg export contains SO2 at a higher level than most of your fizzy lagers, pretty close generally to the 10 mg/L labelling level.

In comparison cider will often be many times higher, but I guess that depends on the brand.

Matt

Basil

Had a similiar problem. Switching to real ale worked for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘alcohol… hangovers and headaches’ is closed to new replies.