Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Alcohol and flying.
  • zippykona

Walking through Gatwick at 4 this morning I was amazed to see the bar as full as my local on a Saturday night.
    Why does a particular form of transport make getting pissed at a time you would normally be fast asleep acceptable?
    Then the airline selling alcohol on a plane. I wasn’t allowed to have my jumper on my lap during take off but its OK to have pissed up morons by the emergency exits.
    Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old sod.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Dutch courage
    Holiday mode
    Expense accounts
    Jet lag

BoardinBob

Getting drunk on a plane is one of life’s great pleasures. Beer and a shot airhostess, and keep ’em coming

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

0400 at LGW and alcohol for sale on board? I would suggest that the approach to booze has more to do with the popularity of such flights among certain types!

I do like a nice drop on a flight, but never at that sort of time! Saga and lager louts yelling that it’s ok because “we’re on olleeday, innit!” is enough to put one off one’s chablis.

slowoldman

On one of my trips back home from Saudi, the bloke in front of me checked with the stewardess which end of the plane she was going to state serving from. That was whilst taxiing out. He was clearly in need of refreshment.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Its the law.
    Always have a beer at the airport. 😀
    I’m getting to Gatwick at 4 tommorow, and I’m going straight to the bar.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Lighten up dude, drinking on a plane is great

LoCo
    Free Member

Last time I flew with BA all drink was free, I mean was I going to turn bottomless red wine bottles down?! Was I #### 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of people on 7am trains lining up cans. Surrounded by commuters…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Like it matters who is sat next to the emergency exit when you crash nose first into the ground and explode in a giant fireball

RustySpanner

My teetotall mum, scared stiff of flying, once tried to get out of the plane whilst we were taking off on a flight to Austria.

It had taken valium and three vodkas to get her in the taxi.

I remember the stewardess running by, then my mum insisting pleasantly that she’d had a lovely time but wanted to go home now, as she marched toward the door.

Coach tours after that.

BoardinBob

Our 9pm flight to Ibiza in September was probably the most carnage I’ve ever encountered in my life. Full scale party in the plane. No one sitting down for take off or landing. Plane drank dry. Absolute mayhem.

tenfoot

Like it matters who is sat next to the emergency exit when you crash nose first into the ground and explode in a giant fireball

That’s why I like a whiskey on the plane. Stops me thinking about the above every second of the flight.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Under normal circumstances i’m usually in bed asleep at 4am, so not sure if I would have a drink at that time if I weren’t. If I was in an airport at 4am I probably would be sat at a bar. Why not? There’s F-all else to do at airports. Once you’ve browsed Dixons, wasted a tenner on the ‘Best of the Best stand’ and stocked up in Duty Free, all you’re left with is the prospect of sitting in a cramped uncomfortable seat, bored as anything in a tin-foil tube for however many hours your flight is. You need something to make the time go by more quickly, or to knock you out. The only problem with drinking on a plane is you feel bloody awful when you get off.

peterfile
    Free Member

Prestwick or Glasgow Bob?

🙂

BoardinBob

Glasgow

wrightyson
    Free Member

After leaving east mids on a 6.45 am flight last week I had finally got all grown up and turned down the chance of a beer. Felt much better on arriving at the destination and made the first “pool beer” taste very good.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why drink when flying? Hmmmm, because theres nothing better to do?

I stayed up and had plenty to drink with a squaddy and a psychiatrist in Beijing (they were randomers, it was a “WHEEYYY….your a brit, I’m a brit….wheres the damn booze” kind of thing) just before we boarded the connecting flight. Consequently I got on, went to sleep before take off and woke up 20 minutes away from Amsterdam, I thought we’d just taken off! :mrgreen: When I got off I downed an espresso and a big mac, which made me feel human again.

I was dead chuffed with not having to star at the back of someones head for 12 hours.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol and flying.’ is closed to new replies.