Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)
  • Alas, poor Samsung Ecobubble
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

OK, so is this a record? Our old washing machine finally gave up the ghost on Good Friday. Ordered a shiny new washing machine, had it delivered and installed yesterday. Test cycle went fine, first wash went splendid. Second wash never happened, because the machine completely died – press the power button, nothing happens. It’s not the socket, and it’s not the fuse. Currys and Samsung are apparently now pissing about over a replacement – Samsung have offered a Wednesday engineer appointment, which means another week without a washing machine and the loss of precious annual and leave.

I’m cranky, indignant, and pregnant, which obviously makes everything far more dramatic than it needs be. Amuse me with your tales of white good woes!

P.S: First person to say, “You should have bought a Miele” will be summarily executed.

bearnecessities

I’m more impressed that a washing machine got you pregnant.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnnystorm

Our Sammy died after a year and a chap came round and put a new circuit in and jobs a goodun again. Hope yours gets sorted soon!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Laundrette? Very popular places apparently…according to Eastenders!
    You may even see someone taking their 501’s off for a wash

thepurist

Do any of your neighbours have a Miele you could nip round and use?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Our bubble is fine, maybe you broke it.

*ducks and covers*

honeybadgerx

Umm, our has worked perfectly for the past three years.

*awaits explosion from general direction of garage*

**also awaits explosion from general direction of Mrs. Toast**

P.s. congrats to you and toasty!

bearnecessities

It wasn’t Mr Toasty, it was Sam Sung, ahhh yeah.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I don’t want to go to the laundrette, I want a working washing machine. Q_Q Last time I went to the laundrette, all of the machines were busy for the day, so I had to drop the washing off and pick it up the next day. :/

I did like the Ecobubble during its brief but glorious life, it had cool lights, the inside of the drum looks a bit like the hyperdrive in Event Horizon, and it played a little tune when it’s finished (slightly less like Event Horizon).

MrsToast
    Free Member

And I’m quite glad to hear other tales of Samsungs not randomly dying on the day of installation – we bought it because of good reviews and reliability (plus it has a baby care setting – I never knew you could put them in washing machines! \o/), so are hoping that it’s just a freak occurrence.

bearnecessities

If it helps I have a £600 LG machine that’s about 7 years old, bought from a fellow stwer for £25, that hasn’t missed a beat and remains the best thing I have ever bought, ever.

That helps doesn’t it?

zippykona

[video]http://youtu.be/993ForRDhwI[/video]

bearnecessities

Yes, I have no floor/kitchen, but £25!

I know this is helping.

Drac

You did remove the transit bolts didn’t you?

MrsToast
    Free Member

That helps doesn’t it?

To make things worse, I ordered some stuff for my mom from M&S, and paid for Saturday delivery. They delivered it today, whilst she was out, and left it in a random place.

I feel like I should order something that will be delivered by Yodel, just to make my journey to the dark side complete. Plus I might watch Batman Vs Superman tomorrow, how bad can it be? Well actually, I was planning on going biking tomorrow, but my bike will probably spontaneously combust, Michael Bay-style.

And now I’ve just reminded myself of the existence of Michael Bay. FML.

ninfan
    Free Member

Come on guys, I don’t think we should let this experience bring us down. After all, what’s so wrong with dirty clothes anyway?

Daffy

*notes that Mrs Toast likes Event Horizon, bikes and STW – adds to “good egg” list.

CHB

Ditto what Daffy said.

mrsfry
    Free Member

You young folk today pah!

Saccades
    Free Member

First post nailed it.

What’s wrong with dropping stuff off at the laundry? comes back dry AND folded.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t want to jinx anything but our Ecobubble has been brilliant so far, and with a baby and toddler it gets used a lot! Two years and counting…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

We have a 9kg ecobubble too. Been faultless for 6 months and gets used at least once a day on average.

whatgoesup

Serves you right for using the words “engineer” and “washing machine” in the in the same post.

whatgoesup

Can I report myself for trolling? 👿

TheFopster
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation I paid a fortune for an early direct drive LG. I bought it as I thought a big pancake motor with no brushes to wear out and no belt to go wrong would last for ever. The LG marketing spiel made pretty much the same point. Imagine how I laughed when 3 months out of the miserable 2 yr warranty the main bearing failed and I was quoted 400 quid to replace it. The useless piece of junk went to landfill (which I still have sleepless nights if some years later) and I bought a brand new Siemens . No regrets so far but only had it 6 years…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

our Ecobubble has been brilliant so far, and with a baby and toddler it gets used a lot!

Would it not be better for them to have baths instead?

bikebouy
    Free Member

This yer problem?

chamley
    Free Member

One of my many university jobs was working in currys’ delivery call centre. We would take calls from people similar to yourself who had taken annual leave to wait for their white goods, which hadn’t appeared as promised. We would then ring the driver (who never answered) and then their local depot (who never answered) and would then have to explain that they’d probably wasted a day of leave. And then to make their lives even better, the next day’s deliveries were all allocated so it would be at least another two days until they would get their goods. After two weeks of being paid minimum wage to get shouted at I walked out…

MrsToast
    Free Member

One of my many university jobs was working in currys’ delivery call centre.

They seem to avoid that now by having the call centre completely automated! I went through the options, and it automatically put me through to Samsung support. Unfortunately, Samsung support closes at 6pm, whereas Currys stay ‘open’ until 8pm. I do feel sorry for the poor sods that get stuck on the receiving end of their company’s crappy policies though. At the moment, Currys and Samsung are still pointing fingers at each other, with Currys saying that they can’t give a replacement without Samsung approval, and Samsung saying that Currys should be able to replace it. :/

Fopster, that makes me feel slightly better! At least ours is still in warranty (got five years on everything, and ten years on the motor). It’s just… one wash! Q_Q

scaredypants

Only Siemens, I think

murf
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation I paid a fortune for an early direct drive LG. I bought it as I thought a big pancake motor with no brushes to wear out and no belt to go wrong would last for ever. The LG marketing spiel made pretty much the same point. Imagine how I laughed when 3 months out of the miserable 2 yr warranty the main bearing failed and I was quoted 400 quid to replace it. The useless piece of junk went to landfill (which I still have sleepless nights if some years later) and I bought a brand new Siemens . No regrets so far but only had it 6 years…

Same happened to ours a year ago, I stripped it and replaced the bearings, which were only £30.

I had to strip it to almost component level and it took about 5 hours, all in. Your £400 price wasn’t too far off what I’d need to go through that trauma again!

nickjb
    Free Member

No signs of power at all is a bit weird. I’d double check the socket and fuse especially if it runs from a fused spur as washing machines often do. Another common problem on some machines is a sticky door lock. Usually temporarily solved by a hefty thump to the face of the machine near the lock. I’d have thought this wouldn’t give the symptoms you describe but you never know.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Only Siemens, I think

This is why we need a like button.

Also, why do people still use the likes of Currys when ao.com exist?

Flaperon

I had to strip it to almost component level and it took about 5 hours, all in. Your £400 price wasn’t too far off what I’d need to go through that trauma again!

I’ve also done this on an LG machine – part of the whole bearing assembly cracked – and it took at least as long as you described. Parts of it are also a lot easier if there’s two of you, and you will lose an entire room of your house to a dismembered washing machine for a week while you wait for the spare part to arrive.

epicyclo

Surely the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it is called now) applies.

If the washing machine turns up its toes in that time, it’s not fit for purpose and they are obliged to replace it or refund you.

Don’t tolerate being put into a Byzantine bureaucratic Catch 22 maze. The problem of who does what is theirs, all you need is your money back or a replacement, nothing else.

squirrelking
    Free Member

MrsToast – never saw the drum that way before, hmm, so long as the drive is disabled. That tune definitely came from hell though, it just goes.on.forever.

Missus has an 8% discount.

In fairness we’ve been using them a fair bit recently and can’t really fault them barring the delivery muppets doing a runner before I realised they weren’t going to unpack the fridge freezer 👿

On PC parts they’re actually pretty competitive with internet outlets even before discount plus you get it that day, can exchange same day and have the utter joy of never having to deal with Herpes or Yodel.

MrsToast
    Free Member

No signs of power at all is a bit weird. I’d double check the socket and fuse especially if it runs from a fused spur as washing machines often do. Another common problem on some machines is a sticky door lock. Usually temporarily solved by a hefty thump to the face of the machine near the lock. I’d have thought this wouldn’t give the symptoms you describe but you never know.

That was the first thing I did! Well, the first thing was to check the lights (thought we’d had a power cut), then I plugged the washing machine into the socket the kettle had been plugged in to, and vice versa. Kettle worked in both sockets, washing machine in neither. Swapped the fuses – kettle worked with the fuse from the washing machine, washing machine didn’t work with the kettle fuse. Swapped them back, kettle worked, washing machine still didn’t. Checked the door, checked the wires and pipes in the back – all fine.

Surely the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever it is called now) applies.

That’s what I’m trying to find out – I know that I’m entitled to a replacement or refund, but I don’t know if they have a time limit to provide those by, or whether (as someone from Currys claimed) they have to have the fault confirmed by an engineer first. I would have thought that if Currys had it in stock, they would have given me a replacement Asap, but no. :/

ao.com was more expensive for the same machine. Although if their customer service is decent, maybe that extra £100 would have been worth it!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

ao.com was more expensive for the same machine. Although if their customer service is decent, maybe that extra £100 would have been worth it!

*ahem*

MrsToast
    Free Member

Ooh, that’s worth knowing, but it wouldn’t have applied in our case (the price has to be lower for 7 days, and it has to be the exact same model – I’ve just checked on Currys and our machine was only discounted over Easter, it’s back up £200 to full price now, plus AO doesn’t stock the graphite model, only the white one).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘Alas, poor Samsung Ecobubble’ is closed to new replies.