Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Akrigg or Macaskill?
  • mintimperial

I can’t decide, I think they’re both mindblowingly good at riding bikes. If I had to choose it’d be Akrigg but really only cos he’s a Yorkshire lad. They’re both at such a high level I don’t feel qualified to judge between them in terms of skill.

They should do a video together. MacAskill vs. Akrigg. That would **** rule.

chiefgrooveguru

Both amazing but I love Akrigg’s flow.

colournoise

As said, both are amazing bike riders.

For me it comes down to the style of the videos they are known for. MacAskill’s tend to be (apart from “Way Back Home” maybe) a compilation of very impressive one-off tricks, whereas Akrigg’s tend to have more of a theme or even narrative to them which I personally prefer (and it is nice that he edits them himself).

I’m another one for whom “A Hill in Spain” is probably their favourtie short-form MTB video.

For me, Akrigg is probably the best all-round ‘public’ MTB rider on the planet.

slainte 8) rob

sc-xc

I have competed (and came a narrow second) against Akrigg, an despite him edging it on the day, he gets my vote.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve said for a long time that Akrigg ist probably one of the best all-round riders.

both come from humble back grounds; one from a wind swept scottish island and the other from one of the most deprived areas in the world – the north of england…

as mentioned above DMc has skills and is a slick rider, but trials orientated which doesn’t relate to what most of us ride (who here spends hours sessioning a park bench with a 24″ wheeled bike with a über long stem and one gear?). CA rides bikes that i can relate to (MTB and fixie in my case) so i know how much skill is required to do what he does.

he has a much more all-round style and makes what he does look easy.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Tried to watch Through the mill, but fell asleep after about a minute.

Danny pushes the limits and that’s what I want to see in that kind of riding. When I watch him I think he has sold his soul to aquire those skills. Akrigg does nothing special.

Diane
    Free Member

Yeah bring Ryan Leech into the mix – what’s he doing these days?

HermanShake
    Free Member

They should do a video together. MacAskill vs. Akrigg.

I’ve thought it would be interesting to see them session the same spot and see how they each approach it.

I think they’re both refined to quite specific types of riding, CA is more gnarly whereas DM is more clean. Each have their place!

Why choose between chips and rice? Have both 😉

GavinB

I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve

Probably the funniest thing I have ever seen written on here – priceless!

mt
    Free Member

What’s this “the most deprived areas in the world – the north of england…” Steady now lad. When measured in beer, pies and black pudding it’s Eldorado. 🙂

vorlich
    Free Member

These are the facts:

Akrigg has better music in his videos.

Haze

I have competed (and came a narrow second) against Akrigg, an despite him edging it on the day, he gets my vote.

Pics or it didn’t happen 😀

honourablegeorge

neninja – Member

I think it does in this case. DM was found as the result of a massive Youtube hype campaign

Not so sure that’s the case. He made a video, it spread like wildfire, based on it’s own merits (and a good song choice). Not to do with hype.

badbob
    Free Member

gotta lol at the comment that most could ride like danny?

“I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve”

instant classic quote! so funny!

both riders are very skilled, different and great, just enjoy them

“Tried to watch Through the mill, but fell asleep after about a minute.

Danny pushes the limits and that’s what I want to see in that kind of riding. When I watch him I think he has sold his soul to aquire those skills. Akrigg does nothing special. “

you might have a medical condition, best not to drive or handle heavy equipment, see a doctor soon please

sc-xc

Daz – You will have seen the photos. I had a skirt on.

Digby

Yeah bring Ryan Leech into the mix – what’s he doing these days?

Yoga by all accounts! He’s now a Yoga instructor as well as a great trials rider!

I guess all those [trials riding] injuries take their toll as you get older: Chris Akrigg’s recovery from his leg injury has been incredible and Danny has had spinal surgery recently …

Puts my tight hamstrings into perspective somewhat! 🙄

juan
    Free Member

McAskill any day. Because he is not from yorkshire, and lets face it he probably inspired a lot of kids in cities (towns can’t remember which one is english) who otherwise, would have never though about hoping on a bike

Woody
    Free Member

I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve

[quote]Perhaps if our parents had been killed when we were kids, and we were taken into a monastry full of cycling-fu monks. [/quote]
    STW at its best 😆

FWIW I’m not sure any comparison is valid. They have very different styles, I love watching both of them and they appear to be good blokes who are skilled enough to make a (presumably) decent living out of their sport.

Long may they both continue.

retro83
    Free Member

Akrigg seems to have a smoother style, plus I’ve never seen Danny doing brakeless trials.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Akrigg or Macaskill?’ is closed to new replies.