Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Akrigg or Macaskill?
  • geoffj

I was going to say Macaskill is better technically, but Akrigg has bigger balls – but now I’m not so sure.

10/10 for both of them.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Akrigg

dabble
    Free Member

Gonna go wi the yorkshire lad. Macaskill has bags of skill n i like his flips but Akriggs just… well… Akrigg.

honourablegeorge

I enjoy Akrigg’s stuff more, ‘cos there’s more of a bias towards “normal” riding, albeit extreme, trials-infused normal riding – MacAskill is doing streert/trials stuff that’s almost a different sport entirely.

It made sense in my head.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Akrigg for me too. Although I can’t fault DMc I find he’s just not as creative, somehow.

I can’t even manual though so I shouldn’t judge… 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Macaskrigg

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Akrigg has been one of my favourite riders since I saw him at the speed trails competitions at The Y2k Bike Show. He just has a good BMX sort of style to his riding. a bit like Josh Stricker, he just pedals dead fast at stuff.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I enjoy Akrigg’s stuff more, ‘cos there’s more of a bias towards “normal” riding, albeit extreme, trials-infused normal riding

this +1

I like Danny Mac but its a lot further away from the riding I do/am interesting in doing. Akrigg is doing his on a Teocali in his last vid, a bike I nearly bought once upon a time.

And also, he’s one of us…
    😀

emmodd
    Free Member

Chris Akrigg is the better all round rider. Danny Mac, for all his skills is a bit of a one trick pony.

neninja
    Free Member

When Macaskill’s first video came out I was totally wowed and the subsequent stuff has been great. But……….

Akrigg is for me the ultimate all round rider. From his mad fixie skills, to quarry trials riding, to natural trails, industrial/urban trials riding etc. For me he’s still the best and has mahoosive cohunes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Danny Mac, for all his skills is a bit of a one trick pony.

😆

steezysix
    Free Member

Danny Mac, for all his skills is a bit of a one trick pony.

Even if that trick happens to be a wheelie along the top of some railings…

warpcow
    Free Member

When Macaskill’s first video came out I was totally wowed and the subsequent stuff has been great. But……….

Akrigg is for me the ultimate all round rider. From his mad fixie skills, to quarry trials riding, to natural trails, industrial/urban trials riding etc. For me he’s still the best and has mahoosive cohunes.

^^This. Also, MacAskill’s Facebook page annoys me. It’s a lot of “Hey kids, I just got a brand new [insert sponsor’s product here]. It’s awesome, you should all buy some!”

Northwind

Mmm. I think this is partly down to their chosen video content? Danny Mac’s vids focus on the street/trials side, Akrigg’s have more of his allrounder side. But he’s no one-trick pony. 3rd in the Macavalanche last year frinstance, can’t recall how well he did in the Mega…

Some more on these lines in the Mojo trail diaries

emmodd
    Free Member

I think he looks uncomfortable when doing anything that doesn’t involve pulling a back flip whereas Chris Akrigg is just a great all round bike handler (plus he’s from Yorkshire)

Coyote
    Free Member

Massive admiration and respect for both riders. No way is Danny Macaskill a one trick pony but I personally don’t think that he is quite as good an all-rounder as Chris Akrigg.

Northwind

emmodd – Member

I think he looks uncomfortable

Yeah, he looks petrified…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think he looks uncomfortable when doing anything that doesn’t involve pulling a back flip whereas Chris Akrigg is just a great all round bike handler (plus he’s from Yorkshire)

I think he could jump on any bike and ride it very well.

You tend to be able to do that if you’re a good bike rider.

emmodd
    Free Member

Not flaming the guy, just giving my opinion. I’ve seen the Mojo trail diaries and whilst he’s awesome at what he does, I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve. Just my two penneth.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Caption for the bottom pic: “Arrghh its all bouncy, why won’t this front end stay on the ground?”

Anyhoo, I suspect because DM got famous from those first two vids that’s what his sponsors want him to be doing, they are afterall paying him. CA has come up in a much more grass roots sort of way, rather than one massive internet boom, so seems to me at least, more personally in control of the riding he does for his vids etc. Just an observsation from someone who knows nought. 😉

Northwind

emmodd – Member

I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve

Perhaps if our parents had been killed when we were kids, and we were taken into a monastry full of cycling-fu monks.

skaifan
    Free Member

Akrigg every time. Whilst both trials riders, Akrigg has numerous national titles and was top 10 in the world in his day. On top of this, he can do all the fancy street riding and can do it on any old bike.
    Danny does not have the competition background Akrigg has, and is more of an outright street rider, which looks more impressive to the layman, but he does not possess anywhere near the level of technical ability of Chris Akrigg. He is more of a showman.
    If you want to see technical ability, look out for Jack Carthy. He is 16 years old and has just started competing in the UCI elite class now he is old enough and regularly places in the top 3. I doubt you will see him making a town centre video though.

godzilla
    Free Member

Akrigg.
    Wonder who would win in a fight?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Who is the guy who tried to just do his tricks as smoothly as possible without and set up hops/tweaks to get in line?

skaifan
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member

Who is the guy who tried to just do his tricks as smoothly as possible without and set up hops/tweaks to get in line?

Ryan Leech

stanfree
    Free Member

Akriggs recent video’s have been amazing ,I think ‘A hill in Spain’ is my favourite. Danny Mac Is also a fantastic rider but seems to have been mainly doing shows which never looks quite as impressive as the first videos he made.
    Saying that he is a really nice guy and Is having a ball travelling the world riding his bike so fair play too him.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think of Macaskill as doing tricks/stunts rather than riding, and Akrigg as riding with trials stuff thrown in, if that makes sense? Like Akrigg does stuff that’s hard and very creative but maybe not super-showy, that Macaskill might not be interested in if he could be doing a massive drop off a castle wall instead.

That’s not to knock Macaskill, and as unklehomered suggests it might be as much to do with their different approaches to making and putting out videos as anything else, and obviously Macaskill can do other stuff too.

So while they’re both awesome, if we’re just going on their vids Akrigg edges it for me. I like it that he does the editing/production too.

Lifer
    Free Member

Like most already I like Akrigg’s style better.

“You alright Chris?”
    “Ambulance!”

Andy-R

emmodd – Member
    I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve. Just my two penneth.

I’m the exception, obviously….

JEngledow
    Free Member

FIIIIIIIIIGHT!

CaptJon
    Free Member

skaifan – Member

Ryan Leech

Cheers.

ahwiles
    Free Member

..err…

i can ‘relate’* to the riding i see in Akrigg’s videos more easily than i can relate to the riding in Danny-m’s videos.

(Akrigg’s videos have trees and trails in them, Mckaskill’s video’s are a bit heavier on the street furniture content)

*an odd word to use, considering my (shocking lack of) skill on a bike.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

poor danny i hope he isn’t reading this thread

patriotpro
    Free Member

Akrigg because he does what DM does but on a bike i’d likely buy.

Both pure legends but only one of them’s from Yorkshire too.

So that’s that. 😉

devs
    Free Member
    neninja
    Free Member

Google fight never lies.

I think it does in this case. DM was found as the result of a massive Youtube hype campaign. CA has quietly got on with business making his own films. DM appeals more widely to the general public as he does showy tricks, CA appeals to riders due to his versatility and aggressive riding style (in my personal opinion).

CA is great on everything he rides. A few examples (not including his latest).

Brakeless fixie
    http://vimeo.com/9824201

Trials bike to hillclimb win
    http://vimeo.com/15360036

5 inch XC/Trail bike
    http://vimeo.com/10695528

Freeride bike – A Hill in Spain – one of my favourite bike vids

gus
    Free Member

‘I don’t think his riding otherwise is any better than what most on here could achieve’. LOL

They both raced the mega in 2008 AC was 54th and DM came 59th about 20 seconds behind him over 30 odd km.

patriotpro
    Free Member

neninja – Freeride bike – A Hill in Spain – one of my favourite bike vids

Agreed 😯

He does the editing too by the looks. So good to watch on the bike.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Skill wise, I reckon they’re pretty even.
    But I prefer akriggs videos. Trail riding in the woods compared to tricks on the street.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member
    poor danny i hope he isn’t reading this thread

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Pmsl, like the opinion of stw is actually of any importance.

Probably more worried about mumsnet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Akrigg or Macaskill?’ is closed to new replies.