Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Akrigg – anyone better?
  • colournoise

New video is probably the best expression of ‘trail’ riding I’ve seen.

Astonishing rider.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Think that’s your answer 😛

martinxyz
    Free Member

I think he’s the best out there, but when it comes to the best offroad cyclist I consider Jared Graves to be the best out there. Fit,powerful,skillful,winning bmx,4x,enduro’s,amazing in world cups.. but Akrigg has a bit of everything that no other has, in a different way.

Two of the best bicycle riders in the world,ever. ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

He coined the term XXXC for his riding style, so he must be

PrinceJohn

I would like him and danny to play a game of bike…

marka.
    Free Member

I love Danny but I find it sad that he gets infinite money from Red Bull, gets to do amazing films wherever he likes on whatever bike he likes whereas Akrigg gets… a Mongoose.

downhilldave

Awesome video,and agree with PrinceJohn. That would deffo be worth watching :mrgreen:

neninja
    Free Member

He’s the rider I enjoy watching the best.

I reckon Danny McA is as good a rider but I prefer the style and fluidity of Akrigg’s riding. It looks so effortless but he injects some real aggression into his XC ride videos.

Macavity
    Free Member

Maybe not better, but potentially as good

marco
    Free Member

I rode off a curb today!

Macavity
    Free Member

Ryan Leech 7 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wehmNVja_aI

Leech and Macaskill about equal?

Trekster

Like all sports there will be someone new/better along sometime.
    These guys should/could be “schooling” the next new sensation in the way other sports do.
    Chris Ball has his DH uni course;
    http://www.borderscollege.ac.uk/courses/base-borders-academy-of-sporting-excellence/base-mountain-biking/

Macavity
    Free Member

Whatever happened to this guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D59J9pREj-w

Toni Jovanovski

Macavity
    Free Member

But there might not be a CobbleWobble this year

AlexSimon

Chris’s skill isn’t just in his riding.
    He really knows how to get his skills to mean something to the everyday mountain biker. It’s how we wish we could ride.

In contrast, that first video posted by Macavity, just does absolutely nothing for me. It looks like a different sport. He might as well be on a pogo stick.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Akrigg appeals to me because he’s riding the trails I like to ride, but at a whole different level of skill. Most other – admittedly impressive – trials riders are riding stuff I have no desire or skill to ride.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I love the last minute of silence on that video, as though you are being given a bit of time just to quietly contemplate what you have just seen. Incredible rider and I would say there is nobody better currently.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Cant quite work out where the opening shot is, anyone know ?
    All the rest I recognises,

Macavity
    Free Member

The comments about pogo stick is probably true.

But what about Chris Doney?

Simon

Dales_rider – Member
    All the rest I recognises

It’s on a footpath just off Harden Moor, at the end of Altar Lane cross over the road, up the farm track and you’ll eventually hit that stile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

All the rest I recognises,

Looks like the bit of BW directly across the road from top of Altar Lane, just where the BW turns into a FP.

Coyote
    Free Member

For trials Ryan Leech has never been bettered in my opinion and that is in no way a slight against Danny Mac.

However, I consider Akrigg to be possibly the best all rounder out there.

schnor
    Free Member

Definitely what AlexSimon and stilltortoise says.

Akrigg rides the same places normal people ride – regular trails with the occasional rocky drop, dead tree, etc – so its in a way ‘real’, and although he’s on another planet skill wise, the average rider like me can at least relate to it, and maybe try that little bit harder next time (maybe even inspire?) to finish a certain section that’s particularly difficult.

MacAskill, although technically brilliant, does more crazy / unrealistic stuff like backflips off phone boxes, which I just can’t connect with.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Both Danny and Chris are awesome, as are their video’s, but what I prefer about Chris’ videos is he puts the skills into context of mountain biking – which ultimately only serves to make me feel even more inadequate, but what the hell, i’m having fun! And his 5 video shows he’s not just a one trick pony (not that Danny is) as he can clearly ride all disciplines of the sport just as well. Has Chris competed and been quite successful?

I always look forward to their next video’s.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Simon – Member

It’s on a footpath just off Harden Moor, at the end of Altar Lane cross over the road, up the farm track and you’ll eventually hit that stile.

B.A.Nana – Member

Looks like the bit of BW directly across the road from top of Altar Lane, just where the BW turns into a FP.

Thanks wasn’t sure, notice my local DH is in there must be one of the best Mini DH in the UK 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I loved Danny Mac’s first few vids, but his latest one is sterile and too abstract. Akrigg’s videos, on the other hand, just seem to get better and better, and really show off the terrain.

My fave of his is still “A Hill in Spain”. but “Five” was amazing too.

Simon

Has Chris competed and been quite successful?

6 times British trials champion…….

Macavity
    Free Member

…and Cobble Wobble 2010

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Anyone remember Eddie Tongue? /him and Akrigg seemed to push the boundaries back in the day, I remember watching them in a speed trials contest and they both blew everyone else away.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

The level of skill even as a lad is impressive, riding out from Skipton on some tech climbs that stopped most he would just hop sideways and carry on.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s what I call a wallride.

And the speed he does those endo turns!

colournoise

davidtaylforth – Member
    Anyone remember Eddie Tongue? /him and Akrigg seemed to push the boundaries back in the day, I remember watching them in a speed trials contest and they both blew everyone else away

Looking at the credits Eddie Tongue did some of the filming on that vid.

Always lusted after one of the Pashley 26mhz he used to ride in the early days of my MTBing. That or a Spooky Metalhead.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, those pashleys were really nice, Ive seen them sell for pittance 2nd hand

Fat-boy-fat

I love Chris Akrigg’s riding but I also love Danny’s skills. He’s incredibly talented but seems to get a fair bit of flak for being successful. While not in his videos, he is also a fantastic mtb rider.

dandax1990
    Free Member

Style for miles, If I could ride as good as anyone, it would be Akrigg.

A Hill In Spain is beast.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Chris is an amazing rider and all round nice guy too, a somewhat unsung hero 🙂

proflexforever
    Free Member

Dougie Lampkin?

hahah

aracer
    Free Member

Chris Ball has his DH uni course;

I checked. You mean university. <disappointed>

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup , I agree with just about everyone else that Akrigg has the edge over Danny Mac. In a way It’s not Danny’s fault that he has a big bucks contract with red bull and his vids look like hollywood productions compared to Akrigg’s. I think this has worked to Akrigg’s advantage as his videos just look like regular trails that we all ride much slower and woth far less skill.

‘A Hill in Spain’ is still my favourite of them all.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Both akrigg and Danny are supremely talented athletes and Danny absolutely deserves the fame and fortune he now has. On talent alone Akrigg deserves the same but sadly luck and timing and hitting the right note at the right point have more to do with it.

I wouldn’t want to take anything away from Danny because Akrigg, financially speaking, hasn’t achieved the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Akrigg – anyone better?’ is closed to new replies.