Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Airstream caravans
  • andyl
    Free Member

Anyone know much about them/got one?

Quite fancy having one to use as temporary guest accommodation and for holidays. Would want to rip it all out and re-do the interior myself so just need a decent bare shell.

My limited knowledge includes that the electric brakes will need converting and I am likely to get stung for a lot of scene tax by an importer.

newrobdob
    Free Member

They are amazing to look at and nice to stay in if they have been sorted.

They are very expensive, or can be. Try importing one from the USA – might be cheaper.

I think they are pretty big and heavy so you’d need a big big car to tow one. Looking around the net a lot seem to based in one location and used as a holiday home.

Some lovely conversions on the internet!

andyl
    Free Member

there are indeed. I was thinking either a lightweight carbon fibre and modern insulation fit out (I have contacts!) but then I saw some lovely wooden interiors with panelling and cladding but done in a traditional home kind of way.

Heavy yes I expect so. Will be towed with a Discovery so should be okay. Doesnt need to be the biggest model.

avdave2

I believe some of the models can’t be towed legally in the UK due to their width. I expect those are the ones people go for if they want it effectively as a static.

mattbee

Very heavy. No longer have a U.K. distributor.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you think the VW “tax” is heavy……

wwaswas

As above – check dimensions and weights carefully (even with a Disco towing it).

Never try and visit a site down a country lane.

There’s companies that rent them out – try one before you buy, they’re hugely expensive and you want to get the layout right.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Think you also might have trouble trying to insure it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What hammy said. Makes a T5 look great VFM.

Dave (T5 owner)

km79
    Free Member

Try a normal caravan but wrap in tinfoil for the ‘look’.

andyl
    Free Member

shall I roll it down a hill first to make it rounded? 😀

insurance – hadn’t thought of that.

I am wondering if I should just make one, how hard can it be making a wooden frame and bending and rivetting some aluminium around it?

there is a Disco around here that tows a good sized one. Not interested in a new one, they did have a modern one that looked like a horse box.

Gary_M
    Free Member

there is a Disco around here that tows a good sized one.

Might not be doing so legally though.

wwaswas

Had a quick look on the airstream site – medium sized modern one is about 8000lb – approx 3600kg.

That’s a big ask for any UK SUV and way over the 80% rule most insurers will insist on.

Looking at vintage ones about 2500kg seems a good start point – still twice what a modern UK ‘van of a similar size would weigh.

Sundayjumper

…approx 3600kg. That’s a big ask for any UK SUV…

By “a big ask” you mean illegal, right ? I don’t think there’s any regular SUVs / 4x4s that are rated to tow over 3500kg.

mattbee

Ford Ranger and full fat Range Rover have max towing capacity (in one or more specs) of 3.5ton but that’s not to say they will cope on the road with s caravan of that weight. There’s a hell of a difference towing a 3 axle trailer full of steel and a huge box.
    I tow at 92% match, it’s not a problem either legally or insurance wise (the 85% thing is just a guide) but I certainly wouldn’t go any higher & will be getting a heavier tow car at some point.
    There is a company in Dorset that do showman style or old Romany style ‘vans that are sub 2000kg.

poolman
    Free Member

I love airstreams and was after one for home office in the garden but am now after a shepherds hut, i ve seen some nice ones but reckon i can get one made and kitted out by a metal worker.

TheDTs
    Free Member

There was a bloke importing them in the unit opposite us at work.
    Some lovely ones came and went, they had difficulty getting them imported without damage, they dent easily.
    Most were empty inside, most were blooming massive, none looked too wide to tow though.
    He had a yank pickup he towed them with when he didn’t put them on the back of a truck to deliver. Most weren’t towed by the customer, they were craned into back gardens in London.
    Sadly he shut up shop and did a runner leaving nothing but debt, for his landlord. This was based in Avonmouth, he may still be trading?

poolman
    Free Member

Spot on mine would have to craned over the house into the garden so i reckon a shepherds hut can be built in situ.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Build your own, I did… The front is a curved sheet of steel, roof is pitched, porch is oak framed. It’s not light, is 7’8″ wide and 28′ long (inc hitch). I don’t think I’ll tow it far but a smaller version would be alright.
    [/url]DSCF5296 by neil.d.cox, on Flickr[/img]

CountZero

I’ve seen a few Airstream’s being towed over the last year or so, usually the smaller ones, there used to be one fairly local to me, but it may be tucked away for the winter.

Spot on mine would have to craned over the house into the garden so i reckon a shepherds hut can be built in situ.

A ‘proper’ Shepherd’s hut will have basically a steel/iron bar as an axle bolted to two heavy wood cross beams, one on a swivel, with iron wheels fitted. They were only ever designed to be moved occasionally from one field to another by horse or tractor, so they’re normally trailered to wherever they’re going to finish up.
    A close friend has two in her garden, both original that have been restored, one is mid-1800’s, IIRC, the date is carved in one of the axle beams. One is used by staff if her hotel gets really busy and their room is needed, the other is for customers to book for B&B, and is very popular.

andyl
    Free Member

Might not be doing so legally though.

By good size I mean not a huge one but not a tiny one.

Airstreams came in all sorts of sizes.

There are vehicles that can tow over 3500kg but they are down rated in the UK.

Neil – I was expecting a DIY airstream then! Nice Fergie. Fancied one of them but when with something more modern and smaller with 4wd so that fits in my sheep trailer.

andyl
    Free Member
    Sundayjumper

There are vehicles that can tow over 3500kg but they are down rated in the UK.

So legally, they can’t. You won’t be insured and you’ll be in serious s**t if you get caught.

A VW publicity stunt proved that a V10 Touareg can tow a 747, but in no way is that going to be a good idea.

molgrips
    Free Member

3,600kg? That’s the same as three lightweight modern vans. Also more than double the weight of my car!

wwaswas

I think the main thing is to make sure you can live with the floor space and layout of your chosen ‘van. 19’ is relatively short compared with modern caravans but as you say other sizes are available.

There is a ‘known’ legal issue with the width of Airstreams when being towed on UK roads with a ‘non-hgv’ licence and we’ve done the weight thing to death.

If you can find a van that works for in terms of using and towing then fill your boots – they’re lovely looking things 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

19′ is relatively short compared with modern caravans

Not sure it is. Most of the sensible single axle ones are that size.

Seems to me that US style ‘campers’ are intended to be enormous, so they don’t have such good space saving configurations. So what to them would be a small lightweight 2 berth job here would sleep 5 and be a heavy van.

And I’m not sure about gutting the interior. In a British van the interior is part of the structure that creates the rigidity. This may not be the case for airstream.

Even if the structure is ok and you can build your own interior, you might need to source your own lightweight materials. I replaced a couple of rotten structural timbers in my van, and I assumed it was normal ply so bought more ply from B&Q. Well the original ones were about 1/3 the weight of what I put back in, so I’ve added a load of nose weight. Something to consider.

midlifecrashes

Don’t know if it’s any help, but On-One/Planet-X had one in their Barnsley shop a while back as a changing room. The shop has since closed. If you catch Dave on the day before wages or tax need paying, there might be a good deal to be had…

Xylene
    Free Member
    MrOvershoot

Friends wedding morning in Bristol they stayed in Airstream caravans on the roof of the hotel

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Airstream caravans’ is closed to new replies.