Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Airshot vs lifeline tubeless track pump
  • andy4d

As title really. Currently use my track pump to set up my tubeless, which can be a struggle, so I had an airshot on the Santa list this year. After seeing the deal on CRC for their lifeline tubeless track pump i am now undecided.
    What do people find best for setting up their tubeless, airshot or tubeless trackpump?

Wife says once my Santa letter is posted I can’t change it but need to write it soon. 😀

Northwind

I reckon if you’ve got a good trackpump, airshot.

shermer75
    Free Member

I reckon if you’ve got a good trackpump, airshot.

Quite! 🙂

andy4d

Current track pump is 5 years old but works fine…….

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Be good to hear from anyone who’s used that Lifeline pump just to know if it actually works or gets up the enough pressure etc!?

geoffj

Just Ordered the lifeline pump from CRC 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have one, they are great.

Inflates a 29er no issues.

The cylinder is small, the key advantage is that it pressurises the hose so the release of air is straight into the tyre rather than expanding into the hose first

shermer75
    Free Member

I was looking into this myself recently, some useful stuff here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/that-lifeline-tubeless-track-pump

shermer75
    Free Member

Fwiw I was was needing a new track pump too so I got the Bontrager Flashcharger, which is great at inflating tubeless tyres but needs a few extra strokes when using as a track pump (obvs) but it’s ok.

The main reason I went for it is the bit that attaches to the valve, which seems to be the bit that normally wears out, is replaceable.

If I had a track pump I would definitely have gone for an airshot!

jairaj

+1 for if you have a OK track pump that will go high pressures then get an reservoir.

I have an airwave branded one from CRC does the job fine. The chamber is a little small so can struggle first time if the tyre is very high volume and baggy on the rim but its never failed so far.

But do note, if you take the core out of a pesta valve the pump head will squeeze the valve so its not round any more. I ended up ruining a two valves before I figured out what was going on. With the core in I have no issues but then you reduce the airflow into the tyre. I still need to raise this issue with CRC. No idea if mine is one off or if they are all like this.

I got it on offer for ~£40 and for that it’s fine but wouldn’t pay more, I’d rather pay extra and get a half decent track pump and separate airshot or other reservoir thingy.

joebristol

I’ve got the cheapie airwave one from CRC – paid under £40 for it I think. I’d never tried tubeless before but it made he job of changing tyres really easy. The front tyre was a new 2.5wt Dhf Maxxis one and the rear was a 2.3 Maxxis dhr2 that had come off the front.

Both popped up into a reasonable shape with one last from the pump. Gave both a second blast to be sure and that really snapped both tyres in place firmly. Hat was leaving the valve cores in place – I have to admit I don’t know how to take them out!

I’ve then used it for general pump duties since and that’s been fine too. Mtb up to 25 psi and racer up to 120 psi.

jonnyboi

Airshot for me. Can be swapped between pumps and you’re supporting a small UK (actually welsh) company

twonks

I bought the pump after years messing with coke bottle ghetto style.

Works very well, including 27.5 plus tyres, but I always remove the valve core.

Using it as a track pump is a bit fiddly as the gauge scale is close with it going up to 250psi, although it is also easier to use so the wife finds it easy to get to 100 for her Road bike. She struggles with a normal track pump.

And the operating head seems much better quality than others I’ve used.

Think I paid 55 for mine and Id pay it again.

TiRed

Airshot and a rennkompresser (with Topeak smarthead). My Airshot blew the seals on my Joe Blow at an indicated 120 PSI (gauge was probably inaccurate). You can always charge the Airshot and take it with you ready to use – you won’t do that with a track pump. If I could change one thing, I’d make the neoprene cover able to tie to a track pump. It’s a fine piece of kit and I don’t regret paying for it one bit.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Airshot cover = http://www.airshotltd.com/product/airshot-bottle-sock-2/

Didn’t know about that. The one irritating thing about the airshot is having it fall over and bounce around the place.

andy4d

Thanks for all the comments, was settling on an airshot but looked at my current track pump and its gauge only goes to 150psi, will this work on the airshot?
    If not I guess it will be the lifeline pump.

shermer75
    Free Member

Airshot has a max pressure of 130psi

andy4d

Airshot it is then. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Airshot vs lifeline tubeless track pump’ is closed to new replies.