Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Airshot tubeless inflator – great product
  • j4mie
    Free Member

Ignore above, got it out!!!

Jason
    Free Member

The Airshot hose will screw straight onto a presta valve, you don’t have to remove the core. However it is supplied with an adapter which lets it attach to the valve once the core is removed,it is easier to remove the adapator from the hose than remove and refit the core. The only reason to remove the core is to allow better airflow as the cores can bung up with latex after a while.

mintimperial

We took an Airshot with us to Scotland the other week. It came in dead handy when I smashed my back tyre off one too many Torridon waterbars and had to refill the sealant and remount it at a midgey campsite several hours from the nearest bike shop or garage compressor. (Yeah OK, my mate running tubes didn’t have a puncture all week, shut up.)

It also helped with debugging a recalcitrant Coleman stove, blasting ~140PSI through the tubes a few times really clears the crap out. You never know when compressed air will come in handy…

Highly recommended. 😀

Do I just yank out the middle with a pair of pliers??

Twist it, don’t yank! It’s threaded. The proper tool is best, but you can do it with an adjustable spanner or pliers at a pinch if you’re careful.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    j4mie
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I tried to get the adapter off the Airshot but wouldn’t budge even with two sets of pliers, got it eventually but had taken the core out earlier, I’ll know for next time.

Love it, brilliant bit of kit – just wish it was a different shape so it wouldn’t fall over all the time!

Wouldn’t have been able to get it working without one though, so very happy.

Standard rim, not drilled (really should, I can see that now), no soapy water needed. I was a bit worried that it wouldn’t work with my tyres but seems to have worked just fine, will see if it’s still holding up in the morning I guess. Have only done the front so will have to try to borrow a drill from someone at work before doing the rear (may well redo the front too).

Anyone in doubt – get one.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Just fitted a tyre with the Airshot too – fresh tyre straight out of the box, so still with the fold kinks in, and it went up straight away first time – very impressed!

Could only get my ghetto inflator to 50-60psi before it started leaking everywhere, and there’s much less fear of the Airshot exploding and taking my face with it too. 😀 Bit expensive for a tin with a hose on, but well worth it for the reduction in faff!

phiiiiil

Twist it, don’t yank! It’s threaded. The proper tool is best, but you can do it with an adjustable spanner or pliers at a pinch if you’re careful.

I’ve always used needle nosed pliers which mostly work, but are a faff and eventually knacker the threads and round off the flat bits… until the other day when I realised a spoke key will do the job MUCH easier. Why did nobody tell me ages ago?!

Stiggy

Tip of the week right there, Sir, I salute you!

dknwhy

I’m about to go tubeless so have ordered one. I hope it’s good and this thread isn’t part of an elaborate STW joke to trick the unaware.

Stevet1
    Free Member

How many packets of the special compressible air did you order to go with it?

legend
    Free Member

I only use nitrogen with mine to give better tyre performance

dknwhy

I’ve ordered some helium to help me with jumps.

Northwind

Spoke key is ideal for valve inners but the wee plastic doobries to remove/tighten them cost pretty much nothing so I got a pack of 10 off ebay for about 75p IIRC, just for convenience. In practice, I don’t usually bother to remove though, it’s not usually necessary.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Just got one of these, playing with the pressure to inflate

Do I just whack the max 160psi in and let it rip?

Got it from leisure lakes – 6% quidco

BoardinBob

Do I just whack the max 160psi in and let it rip?

Yip

cubicboy
    Free Member

Have bought the Airshot. Tried the ghetto route but it failed when I needed it most (the day before a Scott Marathon). It took the wheels to my LBS and their compressor failed. After that I vowed never to leave it to chance so bought an Airshot. It’s a good bit of kit… it takes any uncertainty out of tubeless.

jamj1974

Just had one of those blue bottles delivered and it has worked as advertised. Straightforward and drama free seating of a Magic Mary and Hans Dampf on a Roval Fattie wheel set.

Brilliant piece of kit.

tweedviper
    Free Member

jamj1974

I have just fitted the same tyres to my Roval Fatties, do you have any side to side wobble the the Magic Mary? I have about 5-7mm on mine?

jamj1974

Mine seem OK tweedviper. Couple of mm only. Less than on a couple of recent Continental Rubber Queens I have had.

They were an absolute git to fit – hence the Airshot purchase. Had a couple of issues in the past with tubeless but generally tubeless has been trouble free but these were a real PITA.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Hi jamj1974

What size are yours? as my 650b’s were really easy to put on and I only used a Joe Blow track pump to inflate both of them which went fine first time, the only problem I have is that the Mary wobbles

legend
    Free Member

Have you followed the bead around the rim to make sure it’s all correctly seated?

tweedviper
    Free Member

legend – Member
    Have you followed the bead around the rim to make sure it’s all correctly seated?

Yes the bead is perfect all the way round, the rim tape appears to be perfect, the wheels are within 1mm of true, I have pumped them up to 50psi with plenty of lube on the beads, lbs said they may settle, I am not so sure but hey ho

leftyboy
    Free Member

Really like my airshot only niggle is it doesn’t stay stood up but otherwise it’s perfect as I already have 2 x track pumps

jamj1974

Hi jamj1974
    What size are yours? as my 650b’s were really easy to put on and I only used a Joe Blow track pump to inflate

Magic Mary is a 2.35 and the Hans Dampf is a 2.2 I think. Even when I have had trouble before my Joe Blow in the end has sorted it… Not this time.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Airshot tubeless inflator – great product’ is closed to new replies.