Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Airport "security" absolutely mental
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Just seen Alan Johnson (the Home Secretary) on the news and wow… plans to make things more secure are just mental.

Not allowing people to have stuff in their laps before landing (like the bloke had his bomb in his lap)
    No moving around the cabin for an hour before landing (he did it in his seat)
    Last but not least, they won't tell people how close they are to the end of the flight (despite the above and the fact people have watches)

I can't believe that our lot are agreeing to all these totally pointless measures and all this because the US government have a leaky no-fly list that can be dodged by REALLY simple methods that you can find in 5 mins on Google.

hora
    Free Member

Mental. My Suunto tells me the rate of descent. Plus- you can FEEL IT FFS.

TooTall
    Free Member

Thank you both for your shared views on terrorism and attacks upon aircraft. I expect you have sent your findings to MI5?

atlaz
    Free Member

TT – Explain to me how exactly either of those three measures would have stopped anything kicking off this time. I like security, what I don't like is knee-jerk reactions that stop nothing but give morons the belief that they are safe. If clearly wrong policies make you feel safer then great, they're doing a good job for you but personally I'd be happier knowing they'd done something right.

Oddly enough, MI5 are more interested in using brains rather than idiocy to protect the population.

hora
    Free Member

There is a more extreme measure and it would crucially slash our carbon emissions dramatically..

Smee
    Free Member

This would have been avoided by using one of those scanners that sees through clothes – you know – they ones they're bringing in.

kevonakona
    Free Member

The not moving around the cabin for an hour before landing means that most UK internal flights will be done completely in you seat. No loo breaks for me today.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Gordon: "Och, another near miss, we've got to do something to show we're working hard on security, jack, you need to announce something tomorrow"

Straw: "Well, what do we do? other than strip search people from target groups, it was in his underwear FFS!"

Harperson: "jack, you cant suggest that, if we elect a minority group for special treatment, then we'll be accused of racism"

Gordon: "Look, Jack it doesn'ae matter what we announce, as long as we announce something!

grahamh
    Free Member
    markenduro
    Free Member

Proper security checks on target groups would not go amiss, like it or not, all of the recent terrorists all seem to come form a similar background.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know what the logic is behind the no moving around in the last hour thing? Does it break some terrorist code of honour if you attempt to blow up an aircraft outside the last hour? Genuine question, well the first one is anyway.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apparently the bomb material was inside the linging of his undercrackers, up around his groin where it would be possible for a body search to miss unless you get really personal. He was able to adjust the material shortly before landing by going to the toilet, where he also injected the igniting material via a syringe. The ability to take a syringe on board was allowed because airlines let diabetics self medicate during a flight.

The not moving around before landing is about preventing the methods this guy employed.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah, but what I don't understand is why would someone only want to blow up an aircraft before landing? Why not after take off, or mid flight?

atlaz
    Free Member

I guess it'd be "better" to do it just before landing as you'll kill people on the ground. That said, surely if you have no chance to do it before landing you'll either do it after take-off (i.e. get your business done in the toilets in the terminal) or mid-atlantic anyway.

grumm
    Free Member

Terrorism is rare, far rarer than many people think. It's rare because very few people want to commit acts of terrorism, and executing a terrorist plot is much harder than television makes it appear. The best defenses against terrorism are largely invisible: investigation, intelligence, and emergency response. But even these are less effective at keeping us safe than our social and political policies, both at home and abroad. However, our elected leaders don't think this way: they are far more likely to implement security theater against movie-plot threats.

A movie-plot threat is an overly specific attack scenario. Whether it's terrorists with crop dusters, terrorists contaminating the milk supply, or terrorists attacking the Olympics, specific stories affect our emotions more intensely than mere data does. Stories are what we fear. It's not just hypothetical stories: terrorists flying planes into buildings, terrorists with bombs in their shoes or in their water bottles, and terrorists with guns and bombs waging a co-ordinated attack against a city are even scarier movie-plot threats because they actually happened.

Security theater refers to security measures that make people feel more secure without doing anything to actually improve their security. An example: the photo ID checks that have sprung up in office buildings. No-one has ever explained why verifying that someone has a photo ID provides any actual security, but it looks like security to have a uniformed guard-for-hire looking at ID cards. Airport-security examples include the National Guard troops stationed at US airports in the months after 9/11 — their guns had no bullets. The US colour-coded system of threat levels, the pervasive harassment of photographers, and the metal detectors that are increasingly common in hotels and office buildings since the Mumbai terrorist attacks, are additional examples.

To be sure, reasonable arguments can be made that some terrorist targets are more attractive than others: aeroplanes because a small bomb can result in the death of everyone aboard, monuments because of their national significance, national events because of television coverage, and transportation because of the numbers of people who commute daily. But there are literally millions of potential targets in any large country (there are five million commercial buildings alone in the US), and hundreds of potential terrorist tactics; it's impossible to defend every place against everything, and it's impossible to predict which tactic and target terrorists will try next.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/11/beyond_security.html

sq225917
    Free Member

They want to blow them up just before landing because that has the highest chance of being filmed/photographed.

singletrackmind

Surely they want to blow them up just before landing for secondary collateral damage?
    70 tonnes of airplane ( guesstimate ) falling out of sky onto infidels eating turkey.
    Why not bring in Gas spectrometers and make everyone do a swab test, then wait in a holding area whilst the swabs are burnt and annalised.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Indeed, given a prefence then I can see that they would choose that, but I can't really see a terroist petulantly stamping their feet and going "dammit, i'm not going to bother blowing this plane up if I can't do it in the last hour" 🙂
    And presumably as this is an emergency security measure, it seems to be made worthless by announcing it. Now everyone knows not to try and let their bomb off in the last hour.

Northwind

It's not all that surprising that the proposed moves are about confidence not actual safety. But look, this guy got on board with what seems to be a very tiny bomb, which didn't even manage to blow off his hands never mind bring down the plane. I'm not clear whether that's because it failed to go off or because it was just not capable of doing so, the press seem to be running with "terrorist attack foiled" but that doesn't really seem to be the case, it seems more like "another crap terrorist attack fails all by itself"

Markenduro wrote,

"Proper security checks on target groups would not go amiss, like it or not, all of the recent terrorists all seem to come form a similar background."

I wrote about this last night, but in a different thread. This sounds like a nice idea but it simply isn't workable, it's not a question of racism or fairness, just signal-to-noise. The likelihood of an arab on a plane being a bomber is to all extents and purposes the same as the likelihood of a wasp being a bomber, approximately zero. 1.09 billion people (estimated) fly every year, how many turn out to be terrorists? Any profiling method with such a ludicriously low signal/noise ratio is worthless.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm not sure terrorism merits any response at all really, compared to the mayhem inflicted on people by business, governments and armies it's an insignificant pinprick, though anything making air travel more uncomfortable than it already is probably benefits us all long term, so perhaps terrorism is actually altruistic ?

samuri
    Free Member

Last but not least, they won't tell people how close they are to the end of the flight (despite the above and the fact people have watches)

This is the most bonkers one ever. Everyone can feel the plane descending and every plane I've been on has these holes in the side covered in glass called 'windows' through which people can see outside.

Smee
    Free Member

Lockerbie wasn't within last hour of a flight.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Why the funk can't these total nutjobs grow the **** up, calm down and leave us alone? Their religion is not better than anyone else's, they are not right, we've done nothing to them (well, we hadn't…) and they should just leave it out. Somehow I doubt their "god" would agree that mindlessly killing people is a one way ticket to heavan.

Stoopid middle eastern/african muslim crackpots.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Oh, and similarly, can we just stop being overreactive sensationalists and go back to a world where during air travel you're not guilty til proved otherwise?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

"We shall not allow terrorists to diminish our freedom and our way of life" said by countless politicians who would rather do that themselves.

flamejob
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Mental. My Suunto tells me the rate of descent. Plus- you can FEEL IT FFS.

Do you often travel in unpressurised 'planes Mark?

Olly
    Free Member

hora – Member

There is a more extreme measure and it would crucially slash our carbon emissions dramatically..

here here!

whatever rules are put in place, people can still get around them.
    even with naked airlines, and the bombs will be up arses.

Northwind

<edit- removed post as it was only going to derail things>

crazy-legs

Lockerbie wasn't within last hour of a flight.

Lockerbie was supposed to be over the mid-Atlantic to make it much more difficult to ever find out what went wrong but the plane was delayed on take-off so it was running about 2hrs behind hence the bomb going off while still over land.
    Caused collateral damage on the ground but it also made it a whole lot easier for recovery of bodies/wreckage/flight data etc and ultimately led to a fairly quick trace on the explosives used.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Thank you both for your shared views on terrorism and attacks upon aircraft. I expect you have sent your findings to MI5?

I am sure they are watching him unless he remembered to put on his tin-foil hat 🙂

SSP

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Stoopid middle eastern/african muslim crackpots.

don't you think centuries of colonialism and current exploitation and interference might occasion homicidal resentment in some people ? In order to be a successful terrorist one requires more motivation than mere crackpotism…

I'm not saying it's justified, merely understandable, and pretending there are not credible reasons is part of the problem

Northwind

In this case, the witness reports say that throughout activating his firework and being subdued he went on about Afghanistan, so that alone suggests it wasn't just about "his religion being better than ours".

epicyclo

simonfbarnes – Premier Member
    don't you think centuries of colonialism and current exploitation and interference might occasion homicidal resentment in some people ?

Yup, the Ottoman Empire was pretty exploitive. 🙂

How about some profiling in terrorist checks? I don't think any white haired Anglican grannies have blown up a plane yet, why waste time checking on them purely for PC?

Northwind

Did you read my post? Profiling is ineffectual in this situation, the signal/noise ratio is so poor as to be meaningless. Number of asian terrorists on planes in the last year? Vs number of asian people on planes. No idea myself but it's going to be 10s if not 100s of millions to 1. The odds of that granny being a terrorist are to all extents and purposes the same as that beige feller in the queue in front of you. Both astronomically long.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

why waste time checking on them purely for PC?

If you excluded all the white haired Anglican grannies on each flight from security checks, how much time do you think it would save ?

My elderly grey haired mother takes a plane every year to Madrid to visit my sister. Because of her frailty and age, she has "assistance" at the airport – which means that she goes through in a wheelchair. And yes they check her, but for obvious reasons it's all fairly relaxed and over in seconds, rather than minutes. They also check the airport employee who pushes her wheelchair. Excluding them from any checks would not imo, make any significant difference to the time taken to board a plane.

Furthermore, if it was absolutely certain that my mother would not undergo any security checks because of her age, then there is the possibility that she would be seen as a security loophole by any potential terrorists. She's practically blind and very hard of hearing, so interfering with her hand luggage and placing a small explosive device, or slipping a knife into her coat pocket, would be a relatively easy exercise.

Having said all that, I believe that British airport security is well over the top and goes beyond what should be sensible precautions. I suspect that 'politics' and cranking up the public's fear of terrorists attacks, figures very large in any decisions concerning security levels.

As grumm's quote points out terrorist attacks are, "rare because very few people want to commit acts of terrorism". The 'Green Zone' in Baghdad was supposed to be the most secure place on Earth, but it didn't stop it being the scene of repeated terrorist attacks – if the will is there, no level of security will ever stop a terrorist attack. And if the target proves a little too troublesome, then would-be terrorists can simply change the targets – trains, buses, boats, car bombs in crowded shopping centres, etc. etc.

crazy-legs

The stuff about extra checks for ON the plane is totally pointless. I agree that the explosion and resulting crash of a 747 is quite a terrorist spectacular but it's a whole lot easier/cheaper to send half a dozen suicide bombers into Heathrow terminals at the start of summer holidays.
    Not as spectacular media wise but it has the potential to cause MASSIVE fallout, casualties, disruption, knee jerk reactions etc, it'd make air travel almost unworkable if every single person entering an airport had to be checked and searched. Concentrating on the actual plane is working at the wrong end of the scale IMHO.

DrJ

No moving around the cabin for an hour before landing (he did it in his seat)

I will be doing it in my seat if I have to use the toilet at the end of a long flight!

deluded
    Free Member

I do like Christopher Hitchens – http://www.slate.com/id/2239935/?from=rss

aracer
    Free Member

"My Suunto tells me the rate of descent. Plus- you can FEEL IT FFS."
    Do you often travel in unpressurised 'planes Mark?

Why, do you often travel in planes that are pressurised to ground level? (I've certainly never been on one – though it was strange to see the cabin altitude decrease when taking off from Jackson Hole!)

Northwind

Does anyone know if his device failed, or was this all it was capable of? it was designed as an easily concealed, compact device, presumably to get through searches (nothing but a strip search would have found it apparently) so did that force him to use a bomb so small it was ineffective? If so, then it's a win for the current search protocols.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Airport "security" absolutely mental’ is closed to new replies.