Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Aeroplanes, and tall people.
  • ryderredman
    Free Member

Why is it not discrimination for airlines to make tall folk pay for the extra leg room seats? Is it just that it would need to be classed as a disability (something like gigantism)?

/ninja title edit

Pook

*aeroplanes.

But I feel your (knee) pain

cynic-al
    Free Member

There is no discrimination law based on height.

I’m guessing you are tall?

People with bad eyesight have to buy glasses, no one has to go on a plane.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You have to pay extra if you don’t fit in your seat width-wise too.
    i.e. buy a second seat or go for Economy-Plus/Comfort etc
    Pay a little extra to book a exit row seat?
    Buy your own plane?

Stop standing in front of me at gigs too

ryderredman
    Free Member

You don’t have to go on the plane. But I’m not without doubt that they’ll put someone with bad bowels/bladder near the toilet for free, they don’t have to go on the plane either.

ryderredman
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member

Stop standing in front of me at gigs too

The amount of which I go out of my way to annoy people with my tallness has to increase.

nickdavies

Because it’s nothing to do with being tall, it’s just a more comfortable seat with more space.
    I normally can get an exit row seat at check in if it’s a decent airline – hope there’s no screaming babies though…

Otherwise a window seat, pyjamas and zolpidem tartrate are your friend here!

My bigger gripe is when they let the aforementioned screaming baby into business class… Grrrr!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My bigger gripe is when they let the aforementioned screaming baby into business class

My children fly business class and have as much right to be there as you! 😉

I’d rather have children in business than whining people with a sense of entitlement.

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

Thats exactly why you should vote FUKIP , by 2030 everyone will be the same height and have the same size feet, common sense.
    [video]http://youtu.be/v8J_Z9Dg8s4[/video]

bigblackshed

I’d rather have enough room for my legs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I worry when I see lots of tall people on the plane. Given how awkward and clumsy they usually are, they’d be crap in an emergency, either just getting in the way or unable to help others.

I’d fully support them were they to push for it to be recognised as a disability – I really feel for them sometimes.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’d rather have enough room for my legs.

If you are that worried about it you can always check them in or stow them in the overhead locker.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d rather have children in business than whining people with a sense of entitlement.

My guess is you can have both…

MSP

The amount of which I go out of my way to annoy people with my tallness has to increase.

Just remember, if there were as many big bastards in this world as little bastards, there would be very soon no little bastards left.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My guess is you can have both…

When he flies, it is indeed so.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Tall people suck with their general gangliness. They look so smug when they reach things down off the high shelves for you. If they don’t physically fit, then they should move for free to the extra-leg room seats, but I’m yet to see someone who can’t fit: they’re just a little more squashed than most.

Don’t get me started on the thirty stone sweat monster sat next to me yesterday though. Disgusting and no one to blame but themselves. At least tall people are simply genetically unlucky!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a tall mate, for long trips he tries to book premium economy for more leg room, I do the same I’m not tall but it’s just a bit nicer. If you know your way round a plane then there are a bunch of regular seats that you can get with more legroom (seatguru.com) I try for those for longer flights too.

It also depends on who you fly with, there were some budget euro airlines that have stupid seat spacings that will be crap for most people. Just pick the carrier.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

I’d fully support them were they to push for it to be recognised as a disability – I really feel for them sometimes.

You still not got over seeing half the show through the gap between my knees at the gig the other week DD?

My rule on flying goes thus:

I’m too tight to pay for more legroom
    Long haul flights are expensive already
    So…I only fly shorthaul
    …I aim to fly as drunk as possible that way I cant tell how much legroom I have got.
    I help those less fortunate by putting their pots of gold luggage in the overhead lockers for them when they can’t reach for themselves.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

Thursday morning factoid for you….
    Tall people are more attractive to women, hence shorter people should have been rooted out through evolution years ago, as taller types would have found more mates and therefore breed more, leading to more taller people.
    On the other hand, tall people are more easily spotted in battle and therefore more likely to be shot.
    Hence the dutch ( not fought a war for centuries ) are the tallest nation, and we still have a mix of tall and short people.
    go live your lives all for the better now knowing that nugget of info….
    M

Euro
    Free Member

I was once on my way to Egypt and at check in, the nice lady noticed that i was tall and so she said ‘i’ll give you once of the big seats’, which i thought was a nice touch. That was until i got on the plane and realised she’d put me right at the back, on one of the only four seat on the plane that didn’t recline because there was a wall behind me. Bitch!

I got my revenge though. In my struggle to get comfortable i discovered that by putting my hand through the small gap between the base and back of the seat i could reach where they stored the tiny cans of fizzy pop. It was a budget airline and you had to pay for everything – except all the fizzy pop, which i distributed throughout the plane. I left a little note on top of the empty cases ‘Thanks for nothing you tight bastards!’ which raised a smile from the stewardesses.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

While ever grateful for offers of assistance with my luggage and shillelagh, I politely decline now. I’ve seen too many of the poor awkward things banging their heads. Bad enough to have clumsy giants getting in everyone’s way, we don’t need them being concussed as well.

rocketman
    Free Member

Must admit watching the short arses struggling with the overhead lockers is one of the most entertaining parts of the flight

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suppose being so clumsy, you gotta find entertainment in anything possible. And hey, you gotta hand it to shortarses…because we usually can’t reach it. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why are small people always angry about tall people?
    In fact they’re angry in general. Is it the thicker air down there that does it?
    (Im 6’5″ and quite chilled without the perceived smugness thank you).

Stoner
    Free Member

beer comes in barrels, poison comes in small bottles, bigyinn.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why are small people always angry about tall people?

I’d say the converse seems true on this thread. I guess there’s a lot more room for sand in your fanny when you’re big. 🙂 etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So how tall are you you feel the need for extra leg room ?

Ive been moved to the front on certain shitty airlines that dont have room physically for me to fit between rear of my chair and the chair in front….. Ala easyjet and ryan air……i find airlines most accomodating when you physically dont fit rather than are just uncomfortable.

How ever on regular decent airlines its never been an issue I flew to oz last week cattle class and slept like a baby allmost all the way from qatar, on my way back from oz in feb i slept all the wAy from kl to london.

dragon
    Free Member

You’ll all be pleased to know then that a lot of airlines are putting the seats even closer to maximise numbers and hence profit. But while mugs pay stll fly with those airlines they’ll carry on.

ryderredman
    Free Member

I’m not in all that tall, about 6’5″, but its all in my legs. So I don’t find the constant pressure below my kneecaps from the seat in front all that much…

stumpy01

My father in law takes great joy in taking the piss out of me being short; he’s 6’7″ tall.

I find it funny because there’s not much in general life that I struggle with due to my height.
    He, on the other hand struggles to find clothes that fit, shoes that fit, cars that he can get comfortable in (watching him unfold himself from my Wife’s Ford Ka was always amusing), has to watch his head through certain doorways and in confined spaces, can’t fit in a normal sized bed and really struggles to fit into budget airline seats, seats on coaches etc.

Admittedly, he can change a bulb without fetching a chair to stand on so I am quite bitter & twisted about that.

robdob
    Free Member

Joking aside – when I went to the USA I got a normal seat in economy. I’m only 5’7″ with short legs and I was amazed that anyone over 6′ could bear to go on a long haul flight in economy, must be torture. I was not comfortable at all after a while and I had some space between my knees and the seat in front.

LHS
    Free Member

Always turn left.

ryderredman
    Free Member

LHS – Member
    Always turn left.

Theres more room on the left hand side of the plane?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Always turn left. go upstairs.

FTFY.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Turn left ….. You get on the back door of the plane then 😉

And always go upstairs i agree , malaysian air have rear of upstairs converted from premium economy to economy but no kids allowed . Makes all the difference. I can live with the lack of space when its quiet and upstairs a380 is moticable quieter than downstairs. , after all i wouldnt pay for my self to go business, **** at theres much better things to spend money on.once your asleep it matters not what chair your in and one things guaranteed … – few red wines and im sparko

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Aeroplanes, and tall people.’ is closed to new replies.