• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • airlines lost court case – now have to pay compensation
  • Fantombiker

Big win today…

The Supreme Court has refused to give the airlines permission to appeal the decisions in the Huzar V Jet2 and Dawson V Thomson cases, meaning the existing judgments stand: Airlines must pay compensation for qualifying delays that are caused by technical problems and consumers in England and Wales have six years to bring a flight compensation claim

kjcc25
    Free Member

I hope they don’t ignore a technical problem in future so they don’t have to pay compensation. I’d rather do with out the compensation and be sure they sorted the technical problem!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Woohoo, easyjet, gies my £200 quid! 😀

Emailed the other week to claim back for a 4 hour delayed, they palmed me off with waiting for this judgement!

willard

What would happen in the case of a 24 hour delay brought on by a lack of equipment to clear snow?

sharkbait
    Free Member

6 years….. bonkers.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Woohoo… fares going up….

scc999

I’m also waiting for compensation – I’d be happy with the cost of the tickets being refunded to be honest. I had to take a half day holiday and then go in to work utterly knackered after my flight was delayed by several hours.

I fly out of that airport a few times a year and the last Easyjet flight back home is invariably delayed. Often due to an earlier technical problem or crew infringement (which I guess means they’ve run over their allowed hours).
    So I don’t think compensation is unreasonable but to force them to pay far in excess of the ticket price probably means the prices will go up quite a bit. Hopefully service will go up to match but I wont hold my breath.

Si

taxi25
    Free Member

Woohoo… fares going up….

true very true 🙁 🙁

scruff9252

Oooh interesting. Can I claim for a flight not booked/ paid for by self (work flight) which was cancelled and delayed for a few days due to snow / adverse weather?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Don’t think you can claim for weather

totalshell

i d rather they fix the technical problem than get 200 quid to spend at my funeral..

ourmaninthenorth

6 years….. bonkers.

Er, hardly. contractual limitation period, innit?

imnotverygood

I dunno. Airlines don’t actually want or plan that the plane breaks down. They are complex bits of kit. You might as well claim from Boeing or Airbus. As has been said above, it just means that everyone else has to pay for it cos you can guarantee it won’t be coming out of the airline’s profit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Some right patsys on here.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Way to go. This will lead to higher ticket prices and more cancelled services as airlines will do anything to take a delay.

I’m interested to understand what constitutes a qualified delay. I can understand it if the airline had not been maintaining the aircraft properly, but invariably nearly all airlines do. These things are just not 100% reliable and have technical problems all the time, but in most cases they are minor technical issues.

Maybe we should try to sue mountain bike manufacturers for delays out on the trail due to bike technical issues.

Good to see the compo culture is alive and well.

br
    Free Member

Oooh interesting. Can I claim for a flight not booked/ paid for by self (work flight) which was cancelled and delayed for a few days due to snow / adverse weather?

Probably, but I reckon it’d be fraud if you didn’t give it back to work. Or better that they found out and sacked you for gross-misconduct. 😈

sofatester
    Free Member

it won’t be coming out of the airline’s profit.

Woohoo… fares going up….

These.

Good to see the compo culture is alive and well.

It’s worryingly contagious.

Even some of my relatively intelligent friends have started going down the compensation route for very trivial things.

The irony seems to be lost on them when complaining about rising premiums and fares.

dantsw13

I have no sympathy with the LoCo’s bleating over compensation being higher than ticket prices.

They knew compensation was payable for delays.
    They chose to undercut the competition with ridiculous fares, with full knowledge of compensation liabilities.
    They then bleat about having to pay compensation.

bonchance
    Free Member

The regulations cover a range of circumstances – not just tech problems.

Anyone who has ever been on the wrong side of ‘denied boarding’ (overbooked flight) with Easyjet would be happy to stuff this straight up their commercial management.

I know I would – for the cyncial way they left us stranded. Then claiming; the stay of judgement was in some way relevant to denying statutory compensation – until some undetermined date.

When things go wrong they just hang you out to dry – quite literally running away.

I can think of no other (legal) service I have been involved with where it’s ‘policy’ and legal to shaft customers so cynically.

Heinous statute backed compensation is the only thing that will stop them. Bravo!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Got confirmation today, getting 250 yoyo from Easyjet! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

6 years….. bonkers.

I’m going to check when it was that British Airways kindly took our plane and gave it to another route thus leaving me to have to pay an additional lone transfer fee to Les Gets when I landed at Zurich.

At the time they said ‘sorry mate/tough/we can do that’.

The fact that I had to wait a few hours ontop and then in a dirty old tiny jet that looked like it hadn’t run for years is by the by.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘airlines lost court case – now have to pay compensation’ is closed to new replies.