Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Airdrop Edit
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I went to see Airdrop at the weekend for a ride on the Edit. I thought some people might find it useful if I shared a few thoughts about that on here. I’ve been test riding a few bikes lately, looking to replace a boutique carbon frame that I’ve recently parted company with. As I’m not a million miles from Sheffield and a regular Peak District rider, I thought I’d give them a shot as a bit of a wild card. Like a lot of people here, I’ve read the interviews and threads about the bike and like both the sound of the bike and the philosophy behind the company.

The last bike I test rode was a VPP design so the comparison is with that. While climbing on the VPP, it felt like a bike of two halves. The degree of suspension action varied massively depending on whether pedalling or not. It was a difference that could clearly be felt. By comparison, the Airdrop was supple over everything which was greatly appreciated while slogging up the lumpy stuff on the Roman Road from Hope. This suppleness translated into all the traction I could have needed. The back wheel didn’t skip over the surface at any point like the VPP did. Although both bikes fitted the long/low/slack trend, I also noticed fewer pedal strikes on the Edit. The VPP felt more efficient on the road climb up to the off road section, but while it felt more efficient, it certainly didn’t feel any slower (the slow was down to me). Then again, I’m not planning on buying a suspension bike for the road climbs and despite the difference, I still wasn’t tempted to reach for the compression switch.

Pointing the bike back down was what the Edit really wanted to do though. While the VPP exhibited the pedal induced stiffening, going downhill as well, it felt like the bike wanted me to back off rather than pedal, like it was warning me to back off a bit as it wasn’t happy. The Airdrop was the polar opposite. This bike just wanted to go faster. Not just faster, but it would also ask to pop off things and take a rougher or steeper line…well, just because.

This simple, cheap (relatively), aluminium frame has gone from wild card, to bumping a couple of big name carbon boutique bikes from the short list, to being the benchmark for a couple of bikes that I’ve not tried yet.

I don’t know yet if I’m going to end up on the Airdrop Edit, but it’s a very real possibility. I’ve got about 5 weeks to decide before the Edit V2 is available, although the grey colour on the V1 is much nicer in the flesh.

By the way, I’d not met or spoken to Ed before the weekend and I owe him nothing other than a thank you for the test ride. I appreciate that a glowing review like this might make you think otherwise. 😉

The other thing I really liked, is that you deal with the guy who knows the bike inside out and is passionate about what he’s doing. If you’ve got any questions, give him a shout. Ed is refreshingly honest and straight talking.

sharkattack

Glad to hear this. I emailed him to organise a test ride late in the year but winter and boring life stuff got in the way. The V2 has some very sensible changes to it. It certainly address the few things I didn’t like about the V1.

So I haven’t ridden one yet but I’m still keeping my eye on them. I’ve got no interest in carbon. I like the look of the new CC coil shock. Plus I’d like to support a local business. I can’t see any downsides yet.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Great bike I own one you won’t be disappointed if you do buy one*

* I may be biased

davosaurusrex

I’m still leaning towards a 29er for my next bike or more likely frameset but still like reading stuff like this so thanks for sharing. What was the VPP Onzadog?

poah
    Free Member

I was considering getting my son one but its just a bit too big for him at the moment. Next year its at the top of the list for his ripcord replacement.

whats the difference between the V1 and V2?

nickc

stealth dropper routing, different sized headset, moved the seat tube slot to the front, drain hole in BB.

They are great bikes 😀

Edit: and Ed is great to deal with

Onzadog
    Free Member

The VPP I rode was a Nomad and a Bronson. Not bad bikes at all, but a bike at a fraction of the price rode much better for me.

Geometry and kinematics are the same on the V1 and the V2. However, the standover height is improved on the V2 so longer stealth posts can be used. Might that solve the sizing issue for your son?

poah
    Free Member

more the reach and ETT – he needs a few more inches. The small edit would be fine for me. Lewis is only 5ft at the moment

jamesfts
    Free Member

Great bits of kit, absolutely love mine – I’d go as far as saying you can’t beat it for the price.

Climbs and descends far better with Pike/Monarch Plus than the Commencal V3 it replaced with Deville/Kirk.

I’m 6ft riding a large, best fitting bike I’ve ever had.

sharkattack

Here’s the lowdown on the new V2.
    LINK

I’m a big fan. Coil shock looks mint. I’ll make the effort to rearrange that test ride.

Onzadog
    Free Member

jamesfts – Member
    Great bits of kit, absolutely love mine – I’d go as far as saying you can’t beat it for the price

I’m not sure price comes in to it. We’re currently comparing it to significantly more expensive frames and it’s still impressing an awful lot. (which I guess makes it even more impressive).

nickc
    anagallis_arvensis

Linky not worky for me

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think you have to go through iTunes for it.

sambob
    Free Member

nickc

thanks, was doing on my mobile, it was a bit gash. 😆

phil56

Hey Onzadog, really appreciate the review as I’m about to make exactly the same decision!
    I’ve recently sold a Bronson and was whittling down the short list when I came across Airdrop – and I really like what the company is doing, their approach etc – although calling a one man band a ‘company’ might be a stretch!
    I emailed Ed a couple of questions last week and got immediate and informative replies – bit like the old Turner days.

I’ll be visiting them next week and I’ve already pretty much decided I’ll be ordering one.
    Phil

Onzadog
    Free Member

Glad to hear it was useful. Totally agree about the feel of what Ed is doing. Someone else recently said it was like an old skool 5 spot with modern geometry. Being a fan of those Turner’s, I can’t think of higher praise.

ogden
    Free Member

Good listen that podcast! Makes me want to flog my bike and get an edit now. Think it’d be a toss up between this and a bird aeris if I was thinking about buying a bike at the moment.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If he made a 29er version, I’d probably have bought it by now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Who knows what the future holds.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Airdrop Edit’ is closed to new replies.