Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Airdrop bikes
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

How many on here have one? Very few reviews, all very positive but nothing on sizing, the L seems similar to most XLs. How big are you are what size do you ride? Is the bike any good?

anagallis_arvensis

For sizing try:
    hello@airdropbikes.com

call us on 0114 221 4038 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm. 

nickc

I’m 5’10” and have a medium.

Is the bike any good?

yep. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrishc777
    Free Member

Already contacted you RE demos, and also pretty sure the numbers add up to an awesome bike 😀 was just interested in user experience, whether people tend to size up or down and how they found it compared to other bikes etc

nickc

wanted a bike that I could use confidently in every situation. I’ve mostly had bikes that had a XC/trail heritage, and having moved to a part of the world that’s very winch and plummet, you quickly (even as a mild mannered rider) reach their capability. The Edit just goes…the angles are sorted, the size is spot on and the suspension has that lovely 4 bar action…Knocked 30 secs off a descent on it’s first outing and I wasn’t even trying, although what I’ve gained on the descents I’ve lost on the climbs, but I didn’t buy it for it’s climbing prowess. It’s the only downside I’ve found so far.

anagallis_arvensis

Already contacted you RE demos,

Its not “me”.. just helping point you the right way

chrishc777
    Free Member

Thanks nickc, just found your post with pics!

Anagallis I thought you’d typed call us on etc, I’m guessing you pasted that from the website then!

anagallis_arvensis

I did….I’ve not got the skills knowledge or guts to start a bike company…(havent got the guts to ride a mtb at the moment either but dont tell anyone its a secret!)

chakaping
    Free Member

The idea is that you end up with a longer frame than you’re (probably) riding now, rather than size down to get the same kind of measurements.

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah buy based on the largest seat tube you can work with and you’ll have a much longer bike. Airdrop are one of the longest bikes around.

chrishc777
    Free Member

So I thought the seat tube on the L would be far too big but turns out it’s the same size as my current bike, with a longer wheelbase and ETT. Sizing and geo is very very similar to an XL Patrol.
    Really want one now!

anagallis_arvensis

Demo day @ Sherwood pines just popped up on my facebook feed. 4th June.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yeah they did say about that. 5 hour drive for me though!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Finger hovering dangerously on the button, anyone in the South have one I could swing a leg over?

Nickc, have you ever ridden a Patrol?

nickc

no, wanted to though.

how tall are you?

thepodge
    Free Member

There has been a bit of a sudden influx of hardcore 29ers so you kind of need to pick a wheelsize. Historically everyone would have gone for 26 but the 29ers are very capable these days

thepodge
    Free Member

Oops I seem to have replied to the wrong thread.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ so definitely a Large. Just had a half hour on the phone with Ed, I think I’ll get one. Just need to devide which shock I want

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just ordered a frame and Float X2 shock. Exciting times

chakaping
    Free Member

Good work.

What colour?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Orange obviously!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Test ride last night, very impressed. It’s a weapon downhill, not so sprightly on the climbs but I did a massive ride Sunday so that may be my legs not the bike!

goby

How you getting on with the bike chris?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Loving it, it’s been on uplift days, xc rides, hit dirt jumps, raced enduro and spent alot of time just messing about in the woods. It’s an utter beast at speed in rough stuff and climbs very well, probably thanks to the active suspension and ample room for moving about and breathing space. Only struggling with tight twisty stuff but that’s just me needing to adjust to the longer bike.

goby

Ah cheers Chris, looking forward to trying one soon! 🙂
    Now to convince the wife….

chrishc777
    Free Member

My angle with the mrs was: I’m buying a new frame this year, I can buy a Patrol for £1700 or I can buy the same thing in a nicer colour from a bloke who’s started up his own business for £1000

robump
    Free Member

I went to the demo day at Sherwood forest a few weeks back to test the Edit. Really liked the way it rode i think in part to the longer geometry – no I just need to save some money!

Alex

Here’s NickC’s at Antur. Having ridden with Nick on his old Yeti there and seeing him the Airdrop… definitely a major increase in speed!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HKTfFB]Antur Stiniog MTB[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

brant
    Free Member

Ed’s cool. And Maisie’s dad’s got one and he’s a shredder who dug the tracks under Horsehold and he says it’s good.

Seem good.

nickc

Aye,

it’s good

nickc

If we’re doing more pictures.

goby

Nice pics!, i like that spin you put on that to the wife but very true.

chrishc777
    Free Member

To be fair she wasn’t bothered, it was more me convincing myself!

Since we’re doing pics…

Almost got a raw one just to avoid helitaping and paint damage but I think it was worth it, pics don’t seem to pick up the ornge very well but it is definitely VERY orange

cyclelife
    Free Member

Chris, How’s the X2 feel on the Edit? Steve Jones reckons it’s theonly improvement he could suggest, what difference over the RS does it make?

Out of curiosity any idea what your bike weighs?

I’m going to arrange a test ride when Ed gets back off his holiday but just trying to get an idea before hand. It’s between the Edit, Mega, Reign and maybe the G160 at the moment but I really want to spec and build a bike myself, so tht rules out the G160.

Ta

Rob

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

I demo-ed one last week and Ed said they weight around 30lbs depending on build. It felt nice and light – considering replacing my Capra AL1 with one and being lighter and a bit more playful is the main advantage I reckon

chrishc777
    Free Member

My cheapo ebay luggage scales are saying 35lbs but I know the same build on my old frame was around 32lb, the Edit is a tad heavier so no more than 32.5lb. That’s with beefy Zocchi forks, proper tyres and an X2 shock.

The X2 is great. I wouldn’t say it’s massively better than a CCDB CS, it feels better but I had the CCDB on a single pivot whilst the Edit supposedly has a better suspension platform. There is one rocky trail local to me that the shock completely irons out though, almost to the point of ruining it for me! The CCDB climb switch itself definitely works better than the X2 lever which is just a lockout rather than a traction booster. To be honest for the extra money for the Fox, and hassle of sourcing mount kits etc I’d go for the CCDB if I was buying one again.

Dirt loved the bike by the way

Airdrop Edit – Bike Test

whippetboy
    Free Member

Hi there, how does the bike pedal xc / trails? It looks to be awesome on the descents, I can live with it being slow on the climbs, but was wondering how it was to pedal along trails? I’ve currently got a carbon cube and whilst I appreciate it will probably be heavier and a bit slower on xc / trail shizzle, I just want to avoid getting a tank over a ferrari so to speak (rubbish analogy I know!!)? Currently trying to arrange a demo as well but any owners out there who could provide further feedback would be appreciated. Cheers!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Went out on an xc ride thurs, it pedals fine, didn’t find long hills to be anymore of a slog and it has bags of traction for short steep techy climbs.

nickc

Well, I’ve just done a week’s riding in Verbier on mine which involved some pretty high altitude passes and a 2hr 1000m climb (joyous) and while it wasn’t a race HT by any means, it acquitted itself pretty well. I wasn’t the fist up the climbs, but I wasn’t the last either.

whippetboy
    Free Member

Cheers guys, pretty much what I expected I guess. Nick, were you there at Bike Verbier by any chance?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Airdrop bikes’ is closed to new replies.