Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Aircraft bike bag
  • bianchiboy
    Free Member

Hi guys

Has anybody got a recommendation for a decent bike flight bag for a 29er MTB for transporting to Oz..looking to spend up to spend £100 or so.

Cheers in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No, up to £100 I’d go a well packed box. After that the Evoc

iolo
    Free Member

If it’s just once then a box is fine. Make sure you pad it well.
    If you need to fly more regularly then up your budget any get an Evoc.

nickdavies

I bought one recently, tried quite a few under £100 and I wouldn’t send a bike in any of them. Ended up with a £35 flight bag from Rutland cycles eBay store half price which was the best thing I could find sub £100 it’s supported well and nice and wide but there’s no chance I’d risk a flight with it.

Go LBS hunting for a decent size box. I think Rose might sell their bike boxes separately?

bianchiboy
    Free Member

Thanks for quick replys…..A cardboard box do you mean?

Taking out my girlfriends old Halfords 26″ clunker and bringing back a new Spesh Crave SL Singlespeed 29er(can’t buy in Uk) that i’ve got waiting for me that i will ride while i’m in Perth and then and bringing back to use as a winter bike.

nickdavies

If you’re returning why not hire a bike box Alan?

Or if you buy one of the evoc bags you should be able to sell for £200 when you get back so it’ll only cost you £60 for the transport.

HansRey

ive got a CRC bag. Wasn’t expensive. The structural ribs fell off almost immediately, so it was horrendous to wheel about and carry. I used trolleys where possible. My first journey with the CRC bag involved 2 buses, a taxi, an estate car, an overnight ferry and 3 trains. Horrendous.

Since that journey, I’ve seen people with EVOC bags and they look a lot easier to wheel about.

Northwind

Mine is a £60 bag, with a free specialized cardboard box in it. It’s the box that’s doing all the work, the bag just gives it wheels, handles, and a bit of respectability and rain resistance.

If I didn’t have the bag and I had to travel with a bike tomorrow, I’d go to Halfords and pick up one of their boxes for an Apollo- reason being, they’re enormously tough- they have to restrain 50lbs of BSO with minimal packaging as it’s transported round the world for the lowest possible cost. And then I’d go to staples and buy a load of packing tape, and laminate the thing for tear and water resistance.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Used the cheap CRC bag to take my road bike over to Spain a few times now and it’s done the job perfectly.

chrism110
    Free Member

Evoc

DickBarton

I have a planet X bike bag and it has been great – used once (return flight so twice really)…no issues and bikes were undamaged.
    Had bike boxes, used once and the bike was dropped from plane…Box damaged and bike lost rear brake pads (really unsure how).

In summary, bike bag every time for me…just pack and pad it very well.

Kuco

I’ve had a Planet-x bag for so long I can’t remember when I got it. It’s been Spain and loads of times to France and never had an issue. It’s looking a bit battered now but still good for a few more trips.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I got one of theses few year back. Sure it wasn’t much more than £100. It’s a beast.
    https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/2280470001222/SCOTT-Premium-Bike-Transport-Bag/

Vortexracing

What do you intend to bring your new spesh bike home in?

Unless you going to buy a bike bag in Aus then I would drop the dosh on an Evoc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ah just read the OP properly.
    How long are you here for? If it’s a bit pack a bike box up to 32kg with all the extras that you will want on the trip and spend a little more air freighting it out.

gridnorth
    Free Member

Hey folks – I’m a bit late to this thread but looking for a bike box or bike bag for flights. My concern is that I’ll sometimes want to carry 29+ wheels in it and worried about the fit.

Any thoughts??

Also, renting was mentioned. Know any good places you can rent bike boxes from?

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Aircraft bike bag’ is closed to new replies.