Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Airbus A380 landing at Manchester Airport today
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Anyone know what time ??

Cheers

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Have a look over in 'Spotters Corner' on pprune.org.

If I had to guess though I reckon it'll be landing just after it flares but before the thrust reversers engage.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

I built the wings for this puppy and all I'll say is don't stand underneath the flight path 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

The Airbus-branded one took off from Filton yesterday. Just happened to be standing in the right place to see it from our front garden. F'ck me it looked big in the sky, even from a couple of miles away! Oh, and the noise…..

Bunnyhop

Has anybody got a time yet?
    We have a window in the attic with fairly good views towards the fightpath, I really don't want to miss this beauty.
    Thanks.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I was at CDG airport last week in a little Flybe thing and it taxi'd passed a Singapore Airlines A380 at the stand. I couldn't see the top of it out of the window. Simply immense.

I don't believe they can fly, though. It just looks too big.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Regularly seen in the skies over that London's Famous London. Amazing bit of kit, truly amazing.

However, for real glamour in flying, wait for the new Boeing Dreamliner. I've been in one. Stunning piece of design/engineering. The wings are a thing of beauty.

Bunnyhop

It's saying on one of the websites, that Singapore airlines will have 2 flights a week into MIA from September, using the A380.

STATO
    Free Member

I built the wings for this puppy and all I'll say is don't stand underneath the flight path

I flew in one in Janurary, it must have been one you built RaveyDavey cos the wings flexed LOADS!

Bunnyhop

I watched that fantastic programme on the telly, where they showed you how they made the airbus and why the wings had to be tiny, compared to the fuselage.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

CFH – The Dreamliner has all sorts of problems which Boeing are struggling to solve.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Both the Dreamliner and the A380 are having problems. The 380 is still to heavy and retrofitted lighter parts are being machined now. Saying that kuodos goes to Airbus for being first.

Stato I am envious mate, I know we joke that we wouldn't go on one but I'd love the chance. One of my bosses has flown 1st class in one!! How the other half live.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Aye, interesting times up there, Sooty. They do look beautiful, though, all lined up.

pomona
    Free Member

I had the pleasure of a jumpseat return from NZAA to YSSY on an A380.
    Quite a nice piece of kit, many teething problems though.

davedodd
    Free Member

Bunnyhop,

Which website is that? I'm due to fly with Singapore from Manchester in October, and would be interested to know if I'm going on an A380.

Dave

Bunnyhop

Oooh now I googled so many I can't remember.
    It had the heading " can the A380 land at MiA", or something similar.

Bunnyhop

It was Ananlyst A380 at Manchester airport, route killer. Hope this helps.
    Sorry it's looking like, it's scrapping 2 of it's flights at MiA, Tuesdays and Thursdays, on those days you'll have to fly to Heathrow and then fly on the new A380.

scuttler

As far as I'm aware it's Emirates and not Singapore that will fly A380's into Manchester. They recently moved terminals and they fly twice a day instead of 2/3 times a week that Singapore fly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/business/article6121881.ece

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bristolbiker – Member

The Airbus-branded one took off from Filton yesterday. Just happened to be standing in the right place to see it from our front garden. F'ck me it looked big in the sky, even from a couple of miles away! Oh, and the noise…..

quieter than a 747 though.

Bunnyhop

I'm going out to buy an anorak.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

quieter than a 747 though.

Well, yes, that may be so…. but it's the only plane that's come out of there that's been loud enough to actually make me think 'what the f'ck is that…'

……apart from the Spitfire they keep in the Rolls-Royce heritage collection at Filton which regularly flies over us on its way in/out. A (now) rare thing of true beauty 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i guess so

see if they can get the Vulcan in for a visit, just make sure your fillings are secure 🙂

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Indeed – if you can arrange a Vulcan flypast, I will supply a head full of fillings for testing!!!!

nockmeister
    Free Member

Used to see Vulcans all the time as a kid…the flight path into Woodford was right over my primary school, no wonder i'm fookin stoopid, couldn't hear the teacher half the time!!

Most impressive aircraft noises include the BAC Lightening display of the 70's and 4 or 5 Shackletons flying over my house into MIA or could have been Woodford when they retired them in the 90's 20 RR Merlins (i think) unfoookinbelievable!!

genesis
    Free Member

Live up the road from the Airbus wing plant in Broughton the Vulcan and 380 came over as it was family day there where they get an air display, food, entertainment etc. Not sure wich made was more showstopping as I saw the Vulcan years ago at USAFE Mildenhall going vertical at the runway midpoint.

Bunnyhop

Same here rockmeister, my primary school was under MiA runway ( called Ringway back then), I am now deaf as a result. All those BAC 1 11s and Tridents that did it.
    Edit: meant flight path doh! not runway, however I did used to cycle under the runway as a child.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I saw the Vulcan years ago at USAFE Mildenhall going vertical at the runway midpoint.

The folks who maintained runways back then didn't much appreciate the V-force boys showing off like that. That amount of thrust ripped runways to pieces!

kevonakona
    Free Member

Saw it low and slow over edinburgh on saturday. Huge and so quiet.

CountZero

Ha! Further to the earlier thread about how jets fly, I really want to know how the frack something that size stays in the air. Same as those ginormous Antonov's that Heavy Lift use, seen one go into RAF Lyneham a couple of times, just doesn't look real. +1 on the Vulcan going vertical, and a Lightning doing the same is bl00dy noisy, too!

crazy-legs

Taking this thread off-topic slightly, the Vulcan will be at Leuchars airshow this weekend along with the BBMF, Red Arrows etc etc.
    And I'll be there too. 🙂

Hadge
    Free Member

Mnay years ago I went to Farnborough when the Antanov AN225 was displyed and it did a flying display. What an enourmous plane it was and the jet wash from it's 6 engines was incredible. I've been inside a Galaxy and his plane is even bigger. Amazing plane designed to carry the Soviets space shuttle

giant_scum
    Free Member

One of those C130's dropped a bit of submarine off at Edinburgh about 100 years ago. When it took to the air again the good people of Broxburn thought there time had come!

NZCol

I flew to Dubai in an A380 , business class of course :wink:. It was quite scary. Its like sitting in an open plan office that flys – 'tis weird because its absolutely huge. Being a bit of a control freak I utilised the beverage service heavily ! There were 4 of them all parked beside each other in Dubai as well. Cool technology and very plush inside.

Bunnyhop

Did it land yesterday? I haven't heard anything.

aP
    Free Member

If you want loud you need a nearly life expired DC9 coming in low and heavy with that day's west African vegetables for "The shop formerly owned by Dame Shirley Porter". In the late 90s I sometimes ended up getting out of bed at 4.30am to see if it really was a BUFF coming into Heathrow.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Same as genesis here. The A380 seemed positively quiet after seeing the Vulcan, mighty impressive though….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Being a bit of a control freak I utilised the beverage service heavily

*Mutters to himself about people like that ruining business class for the rest of us….*

😉

sootyandjim
    Free Member

aP – For a seriously loud commercial aircraft (that is still flying, so Concorde is ruled out) look no further than the Vickers Funbus (VC10). Those Conways are so loud that the RAF has to pay a fine if they land them at some US airports.

scuttler

Every time I drive down the A34 to Oxford I seem to see a VC10 or a Tristar cruising into/around Brize Norton. So nice to see considering most 'airliners' these days are non-descript twin engined affairs.

I need to make an effort to catch up with this 'ere Vulcan.

beamers

Here's my Vulcan Picture:

Snapped at the Uffington Country Show the other weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Airbus A380 landing at Manchester Airport today’ is closed to new replies.