Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Airbrush recommendations
  • hunterst
    Free Member

I bought a tamiya sand scorcher recently and have been priming the body ready for paint.

Now although i am fairly handy with a rattle can and can get quite a nice finish i’m kinda thinking of getting an airbrush – although i have never used one before.

Am i right in thinking that you get a much more controlled spray from an airbrush which makes it possible to use indoors?

Whenever i use rattle cans i have to wait for a decent warm day with no wind and then its out in the garden.

What are the main benefits of an airbrush?
    What should i be looking for in a potential purchase?
    Any recommendations to a starter kit including compressor etc

Thanks

monkfish
    Free Member

You get a much more controlled finish with an airbrush compared to either cans or paint brushes therefore enabling you to blend colours, create soft edges and shadows and highlights that you couldn’t do otherwise (unless of course you are a highly skilled artist)

As with most things buying cheap can lead to buying twice so if it was me I’d be looking at an Iwata compressor and a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra airbrush. You will need a moisture trap on the compressor and probably its worth getting one for the brush as well.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/harder-steenbeck-ultra-2-in-1-airbrush.html

http://www.graphicair.co.uk/products/Iwata-Studio-Series-Sprint-Jet-Airbrush-Compressor.html

kiwijohn

Badger Airbrushes would be a good place to start.
    I had the 150 when I made model cars.
    The benefits are control, push down on the trigger for air & move it backwards & forwards to control paint flow.
    It takes a bit of practice & air supply is your biggest expense. You need a constant flow whereas cheap compressors deliver it in pulses.

marcus7
    Free Member

I use an iwata and it’s superb, compared to a can is a million miles away and way more flexible in what you can achieve.

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on this chaps.

Will start looking into it a bit more.

If any of you know of anyone selling a used setup for a reasonable price – give me a nudge

Thanks

monkfish
    Free Member

Nudge

monkfish
    Free Member

Maybe a bit more info would be helpful

I have an Iwata compressor (looks remarkably like the Studio sprint Jets) and H&S Evolution 2in1 airbrush (4mm & 2mm), however I think one of nozzles on the AB needs replacing (about £15 IIRC)

Everything works perfectly, AB also has a moisture trap. Compressor has never missed a beat.

Not at home, but I can get you some photos tomorrow (on bike straight from home tonight so won’t be back till late)

Say £130 for the pair for an extra £20 I can throw in all my paints, varnishes, thinners, stuff I’ve accumulated over the years.

hunterst
    Free Member

Thanks for that monkfish

please mail me some photos – email in profile

Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Airbrush recommendations’ is closed to new replies.