Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • air vent in front room wall
  • jools182
    Free Member

Is it for the gas fire I have?

Can I put something over it if I’m not using the fire? It’s blowing a gale through there

andylaightscat
    Free Member

yes and yes

markrh
    Free Member

No you shouldn’t cover it at any time but it could be worth checking if the appliance really needs it, should be able to find out on the net.

restless
    Free Member

i put sellotape over mine so it doesnt blow a draught anymore. but i never use my gas fire either.

carbon337
    Free Member

As long as your fire doesnt have a back boiler in behind it you should be fine.

jools182
    Free Member

no, the boiler is in the kitchen

fire is never on cause its useless

markrh
    Free Member

Carbon, some fires without back boilers require vents.

carbon337
    Free Member

Yep but not ones that are turned off.

Cougar

It’s a legal requirement if you have a gas fire (or perhaps, one with a back boiler). I had one put in against my wishes and a force nine blows through it, I put a sliding-gate vent cover over it and haven’t died so far. I guess what it really needs is some sort of baffle arrangement.

john_drummer
    Free Member

even if you don’t have gas appliances, it’s not a good idea to cover up airbricks – doing so can lead to serious condensation – and therefore damp – problems.

Fit an adjustable grill maybe, but certainly don’t block it up permanently

phiiiiil

Our last rental place had two air bricks in the kitchen; a cold howling gale came in and made it a very cold room until I stuffed newspaper in all the holes. It was there from when there was a gas oven, which was replaced long ago.

I seem to remember something about the size of the room determining whether you needed one or not…?

spooky_b329

Another vote to cover it with a sliding vent cover. I put one over ours as it wasn’t providing sufficient ventilation for the boiler anyway, and replaced it with a floor level one

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

It’s a legal requirement if you have a gas fire (or perhaps, one with a back boiler)

Depends upon the power rating of the gas fire. some don’t

showerman
    Free Member

took all my room vents out as no need for them due to constuction of house there is always an air flow through property no bad thing as plenty of fresh air,as i do not like gas pipes running inside a house my boiler is on an outside wall as is all the gas pipework

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘air vent in front room wall’ is closed to new replies.