Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Air Travel With SPDs And helmet?
  • mingerocket
    Free Member

I’m flying to tenereife next week for a few days trail riding with Lavatrax,
    Was hoping to wear my spds shoes and carry my helmet on to the flight to save luggage weight.
    Has any body had any experience flying with such equipment? I have visions of airport security being none too impressed with my shoes with big metal clips underneath.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve carried a helmet in hand luggage a couple of times without incident, but it was a few years ago. The SPDs can go through the x-ray machine and I suppose are no more dangerous than having chunky buckles on shoes, but not sure why you’d risk it assuming you’re taking some non-cycling shoes. How heavy are your SPDs? 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Helmet in hand luggage at all times never bothered with SPD’s as I generally have some heavier shoes.

aidso
    Free Member

We travelled to Marbella in June with just hand luggage and it was fine. This was with EasyJet. Problem is usually the weight of the shoes contributing to your 10Kg…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Yes. I have done this. Shoes went in the bag in hand luggage. I have an Osprey bag which has a tab for the helmet to attach to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My recent hand luggage compliment

Off to work in Auckland by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

and previous

IMAG0346 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve had no issues flying with big plastic mountaineering boots on (other than hot feet!).

notmyrealname
    Free Member

There’s absolutely no problem with taking SPD shoes through security. It happens all the time with no issues, all you’ll have to do is take the shoes off and put them through the x-ray machine when you go through the arch.

Lat time I travelled I took the helmet in hand luggage with no issues.

mingerocket
    Free Member

Great thanks for the advice,I’ve had cases go missing on a number of occasions and don’t want to risk them showing up late

_tom_
    Free Member

No advice but ‘mingerocket’ is one of the best usernames I’ve heard in a while 😆

Gotama
    Free Member

Why don’t you just take the cleats off the bottom of the shoes? Will stop you sounding like a horse going through the airport terminal if nothing else.

Helmet is no issue, done it plenty of times. Gets you some funny looks if you put it on for take off 😀

cybicle
    Free Member

Most airlines specify that only ‘sports equipment’ may be carried in ‘sports equipment luggage’. So helmets and SPD shoes are fine in a bike bag. I’ve carried all sorts in bike bags and never had any issues. Remember that it’s the airport authority, not the airline, that scan the bags, and they aren’t really interested in the contents as long as they’re not bombs and guns. The only issue they care about is the weight, so make sure you have sufficient weight allowance for your trip. With Easyjet, it’s worth buying the ‘sports equipment’ allowance as well as the hold baggage premium, as that then gives you a total of 32kg for the bike bag. Other airlines might just let you have a total weight allowance with no other conditions.

Get it sorted before you fly though, as it can be a right hassle at the airport.

Top tip: if travelling with a bike in a bag, go round the side at the check ins rather than queue up. Feign ignorance/stupidity, and the staff will invariably let you check in at the premium/business/fast check in desk just to get you out of the way. I have never queued at an airport whenever I’ve travelled with a bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Top tip 1 DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET IN HOLD LUGGAGE – unless you have a proper hard case – you have no idea how many hits it will have

Top tip: if travelling with a bike in a bag, go round the side at the check ins rather than queue up. Feign ignorance/stupidity, and the staff will invariably let you check in at the premium/business/fast check in desk just to get you out of the way. I have never queued at an airport whenever I’ve travelled with a bike.

Just get there when check in opens to avoid queues and make sure they don’t overfill their large object quota.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Air Travel With SPDs And helmet?’ is closed to new replies.