Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Air Transat
  • verses

I was just looking on SkyScanner for cheap flights and one airline that popped up was Air Transat. They’re so cheap compared to the other airlines that it’s made me immediately suspicious…

Anyone here ever used them or know of them?

twixhunter
    Free Member

Brother and his wife flew Transat to Canada and back with no problems. I think they’ve upped their game since they began. Think they’re most well known for running out of fuel across the Atlantic years ago but other than that they’re simple no frills long haul airline. Get you there and back no bother.

Kryton57

Get you there and back no bother.

Well, maybe – as evidenced.

verses

Wiki says they’ve been around since 86/87 and shows 2 “incidents” for them.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Flew to either Toronto or Vancouver with them, might have been both times, no problems and would use them again.

verses

Thanks for the comments.

Do they have the usual in-flight entertainment and included meals?

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Have used both Air Transat and BA on flights to Vancouver, Transat was by far the better option for me. All the usual in flight amenities, lower prices and seemed better leg room too.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The last time I flew with them was almost two years ago and they were coming to the end of their cabin upgrades. In flight entertainment in the new cabins was what you’d expect and in the head rests (old ones were a bit crap and were TVs in the ceilings). Food was included and for cattle class I think it was soft drinks only. I paid for the upgrade class and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food.

I’d happily fly with them again. Certainly better than the last flight I had to New York with American!

SaxonRider

I flew Air Transat many times when I lived in Canada. Not only have they been no problem, when the flight was less-than-full, they made sure my entire family had rows to themselves so we could all sleep like we were in bed.

Like first class, only not!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve used them a couple of times, they’re fine.

They had a fuel leak due to a chafed main fuel line on one wing, pilot wrongly tried to equalise fuel, resulting in losing the lot. Then had the longest recorded glide of a passenger jet (at the time) and landed safely in the azores.

Turned out he’d been a drug flight pilot, and was used to gliding into Mexico from Colombia. 😯 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Turned out he’d been a drup flight pilot, and was used to gliding into Mexico from Colombia.

Almost.

In 1983, Piché served 16 months of a 10-year sentence in prison after a plane he landed solo at a small airfield in Georgia, USA was found to be full of marijuana smuggled from Jamaica.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Used Air Transat, (Canadian Affair is same company), every time I’ve flown to Van and never had a problem. Really cheap to take bike on it too.
    There’s a Canadian budget airline called Westjet that are going to start flights to Gatwick next May for $299 return from Canada, will be interested to see what the uk price is??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A mere detail!.

I remember the incident though, on wing support guy had fitted a hydraulic hose that was too short, as they didn’t have the correct part, and chafed the MF hose.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Flew with them to Calgary in 2014. No issues, I’d recommend them.
    Good policy with bikes too, especially compared to Air Canada.

steveh

Another happy user here, bikes were cheap to £20 out and $30 back.

verses

Thanks very much, think they’re going to get another customer.

13thfloormonk

Yep, big smile at check in got me 32kg of bike and case, a 25kg rucsac full of camping gear, 10kg of hand luggage, a laptop in a padded case and the maximum allowance for hold luggage, all for $30 when I was moving back to UK from Vancouver. Just glad the pilot didn’t try any gliding that time… 8)

Decent in flight as well, and I seem to remember one can of beer thrown in too (it was Molsen though, don’t get excited…)

Only draw back was twice I think we had an unscheduled stopover in Calgary to pick up more customers, however this was when I was paying $450 return to Vancouver so couldn’t really complain.

seadog101

I’ve used them a few times, and have no grumbles whatsoever. They’re cheap and convenient for flying direct to Canada from Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow.

Despite being budget, and no frills, their planes are comfy, and the staff very pleasant.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yes, always use them for going to Canada (which is pretty regularly). No problems at all – would recommend them.

legend
    Free Member

back was twice I think we had an unscheduled stopover in Calgary to pick up more customers, however this was when I was paying $450 return to Vancouver so couldn’t really complain.

Sounds like you may have missed something when booking, or did the folk in Calgary just flag you down on the wt past? 😉

13thfloormonk

back was twice I think we had an unscheduled stopover in Calgary to pick up more customers, however this was when I was paying $450 return to Vancouver so couldn’t really complain.
    Sounds like you may have missed something when booking, or did the folk in Calgary just flag you down on the wt past?

Yes yes, very good 8) Genuinely no mention of it when booking, I figured they just spotted an opportunity to combine two flights into one (i.e. there were enough spare seats on the Vancouver flight) to save cash. Would have been annoying if it hadn’t been such a cheap fare…

trademark
    Free Member

Used both Canadian Affair and Air Transat.
    No issues with either.
    AT was usually cheaper than CA.

Spin
    Free Member

Really cheap to take bike on it too.

We found this coming back from toronto having flown out with one of the american airlines, can’t remember who now, maybe Delta. $200US per bike with the US airline and $50 Canadian with Transat.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I figured they just spotted an opportunity to combine two flights into one (i.e. there were enough spare seats on the Vancouver flight) to save cash. Would have been annoying if it hadn’t been such a cheap fare…

]

Same with our return flight this weekend.

We got an email, which to be fair was before we even left in July stating a change in schedule. It’s a bit annoying as it adds a couple of hours onto the flight.

loddrik
    Free Member

Flown with them to Toronto many times. No issues other than the seats are the smallest I’ve ever encountered. Every single air transat plane I’ve been on has been the same. But if you’re not a fat **** like me it shouldn’t be an issue.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yeah, narrow seats. If you want elbow room, get an aisle seat. Legroom was ok for me but I’m only 5’8″

voodoo_chile

Used them to Toronto a few times and back from Calgary , quite good good prices too normally

egb81
    Free Member

Flew with them to Vancouver earlier this year, they were pretty good for the price. Decent selection of movies and entertainment, which was nice.

pobaker
    Free Member

i just booked flights with them for next summer for the family, in to Calgary out of Vancouver… cheapest by a long way, good to hear some positive reviews.

steeble
    Free Member

Flown with them plenty when I lived in TO. Think they were mosre easily available when booking from canada side. They were fine, comparable to the now defunked zoom

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Flew with them when they first started in a Tristar. Old man was a travel agent and cost us £35 return to Toronto, but we flew via some place in Scotland, but for £35 we weren’t really fussed. Was a great flight and no real worries , even in a Tristar.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Air Transat’ is closed to new replies.