Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • air pressured brake bleeding?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Anyone tried it? The kit looks quite similar to the DIY tubeless ideas around. It’s just I’m having a bad time bleeding my louises and I’m wondering if this could help.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you cant do it without it , having an air kit wont help.

Air kits were meant to speed the process up , i found by the time you fannied about setting it up the brake was bled conventionally.

fd3chris
    Free Member

My Louise’s are being a right pain and I thought with the constant flow of pressured fluid through the system it would force out any hard to get air? If they are no good then it’s the local lbs: (

Northwind

No point, syringe does basically the same job for £1.

themoodster
    Free Member

They’re brilliant when doing a car, but I can’t see the point with a bike, the volumes are so much smaller, if you can’t do it with the oe bleed kit you’re doing it wrong, pay someone els to do it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depend how the system is arranged and where the high points are and which way you bleed it, the clutch in my midget could only be bled with air pressure from the bottom up (but bit of fiddling and it could be done conventionally as well).

On MTB’s there’s no point, it’s useful in cars where you might have to flush a pint of fluid through before it goes clear, then repeat for each branch in the system, and repeat again, and again, etc. Most MTB’s have funny seals etc and seem to work best with whatever method the manufacturers recommend (pulling a vacuum doesn’t work unless you can take the diaphragm seals out).

ndthornton
    Free Member

I bought the hope one – used it once but was far harder than doing it manually. Curiously it seemed to have been designed for someone with 3 hands. After firing jets of DOT5.1 across the garage for a few hours I finally managed to complete the job – only for all the fluid to be sucked out when I tried to stop the process. Fun for a while but I ended up binning 90% of it – all except a small piece of tube which I now use to do it conventionally.

weeksy

I use one for motorcycle brakes, but larger reservoirs make it far more viable.

bentudder

Hope used to have a set called the Little Bleeder, which I think it still sells. I’ve used that and homebrew versions on older Hope brakes in the past – the old master cylinder caps for C2 brakes were excellent for that, as they had a hole in the op anyway for the adjuster.

Great for bleeding four sets of brakes halfway through a trip to the alps, as it sped things up.

If you think you have air trapped in the system, try tapping the hose, caliper, master cylinder etc *gently* with the handle of a screwdriver (or you hand, for the hose) and that usually does the trick.

As said above, if you aren’t bleeding them properly in the first place, then an air system will just help you bleed them wrong a bit faster.

Try speaking to Magura, its importers or your local bike shop. If al else fails, find a shop that has done lots of them – as with any manufacturers’s brakes, there are little tricks that help bleed them properly.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

the only time I found using a air press kit good if you got an empty system to bleed, (replace a hose, or seal changes)
    It makes getting the fluid through quick, but i still finish the normal way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘air pressured brake bleeding?’ is closed to new replies.