Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • air or coil pikes
  • robhughes
    Free Member

just took delivery of new bike.spec said coil u-turn pikes but came with due air u-turn.Is this to my advantage or just more titing about with presures.

benjag
    Free Member

they are lighter but not as plush

ton

major advantage..soft or hard as you like.

robhughes
    Free Member

so less plush but more versatile.bit weird though because iv,e never used coil forks befor and wasn,t realy looking forward to getin them.then it turned up with dual air ,not on spec.smile from ear to ear.they cost more aswell don,t they

benjag
    Free Member

I’ve never trusted air forks as I can imagine the seals blowing out in the middle of nowhere leaving me up the creek sans paddle. Coil front and rear for me.

ton

benjag, i am 21 stone and ride pretty hard.
    you will not blow air forks mate…i always use air forks

Pieface

More adjustability but less plush I think.

In terms of reliability they should be fine, but may need more service attention

benjag
    Free Member

Ton, I’m 16.5st and the 1+m drop to flat was bottoming out the x-firm spring on my pikes, wouldn’t have fancied that with air.

robhughes
    Free Member

i,m 5″7 10 1/2 stone so these should be great for me.benjag at 16 stone ,are pikes designed to take that(no offence meant)

devs
    Free Member

I do 3-4 drops to flat on my lyric airs nae bother. Even did some by accident on my Fox Float 32s and we’re both still around. I’m over 17st in bike kit. Air is better if you are heavier. Trust the kit. My coil pikes handle it too but I suspect I do bottom them out.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve got both, the air forks are not less plush.
    Also, you can run the air forks a lot harder than an X-Firm coil spring with no problems.

Vortexracing

Nowt wrong with Pike air u turns.

very nearly as plush as coil, loads more adjustment and lighter.

you have got a good deal there.

Del

Rob,
    if you decide you’d prefer coils i have a ( literally ) one ride old set of coil pikes i’ll swap for your airs.

csb

Wasn’t a Marin was it Rob?

benjag
    Free Member

Rob, no offence taken! I would say that the pikes are definitley not designed for that but I can’t afford some lyrics/wotan at the moment that would be suitable. Planning to build a Hemlock with 160mm forks.

robhughes
    Free Member

cbs. yes was a marin

robhughes
    Free Member

cbs. how the hell did you know that

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Benjag. You will bottom coils out as they’re not designed for us big lads, XFirm spring isn’t rated for your/my weight. Always use airs too. Never a problem.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘air or coil pikes’ is closed to new replies.